Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees cut down on Mall

• 03-02-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

What a shame to see the beautiful mature trees in front of the ESB being cut down to the ground as I drove past this evening. Surely Waterford Crystal could have found a way of doing their renovations without cutting down these trees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd imagine its for more parking. I'd personally cut down all the trees in town myself with a saw made out of the oldest tree in ireland if it meant creating a a large number of jobs in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

much as i like trees i am with ziedth on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Just think how Brendan McCann must feel to see those trees being felled.

There, don't you feel a whole lot better now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

gscully wrote: »

ha ha... i laughed hard at that.... :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

gscully wrote: »

The first person who says i wish he was up it when it got felled gets a ban ;)
    No body like trees being felled,but i dont take it litteraly like those nutters from an taisce,i think its about 3 things basically JOBS JOBS JOBS and rightly so,we cant depend on our senior minister to provide any ,so lets hope it goes well for all concerned.

• Advertisement

gscully, you really gave me an old fashioned belly laugh. well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boooo! No more spring flowers and petals in your hair! Where's the romance, where's the romance?! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So we should screw our surroundings if it means jobs?
    Ah come on lads, sure while we're at it lets build flats in Waterford like what used to be in Ballymun.

They'll look like ****e, create massive social problems but sure they'll create jobs when they're being built.

I'm sure they could have renovated the place without cutting down the trees, but then they took the easy way out eh?

its not exactly the same thing. they are not cutting down trees and putting up ballymun type flats. They are hopefully putting in a nice modern looking building. IMO while so many are out of work it should be all stations go, i dont care about trees, its about what benefits us in the short or medium term. Maybe i'm not thinking of the children but i would rather my future kids to be raised in a world that the ziedths are not on welfare. Just my two cent anyway, i'm sure i'm wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Generally speaking, I'd be against the removal of "greenery" where possible, and especially in a city where they can also take CO2 out of the air, etc etc. However in my opinion, they are secondary to keeping the city vibrant.

Anyway, in this particular case I dont think those trees had much going for them. I can only picture them in my head as being dark and dreary and making that whole area dark and dreary. And that is certainly not going to be a good thing when trying to sell the place as a tourist attraction. When the renovations are done, i'd like to see more controlled plants in that area, make the place more attractive and appealing in pictures!!

my two cents anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

are there gonna be local jobs created.?

I hope so or my whole argument is dead in the water :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

lol at concerns for the trees. they're only a few f*cking trees for christ sake. it's not like they are sequoia trees that have been there for a thousand years.

hard to believe people would be complaining about the removal of a few trees, when we should be looking forward to the continuation of our crystal heritage, the new jobs it will create and the tourists it will attract.

save the trees, ffs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think the argument was ever one or the other....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Ziedth. wrote: »
    I'd imagine its for more parking. I'd personally cut down all the trees in town myself with a saw made out of the oldest tree in ireland if it meant creating a a large number of jobs in the city.

I'm not sure that chopping down trees creates jobs. Maybe jobs chopping trees. And then there'd be no trees. Maybe then they could go down to the park and put down poison for the grass, or starting dumping waste in John's river...

merlante wrote: »
    I'm not sure that chopping down trees creates jobs. Maybe jobs chopping trees. And then there'd be no trees. Maybe then they could go down to the park and put down poison for the grass, or starting dumping waste in John's river...

good to see ziedth and merlante have nailed down exaggeration as a way to make a point anyway!!:)

whether or not you are for trees or jobs (or none or both), id be more interested in why people are annoyed/disappointed THOSE trees were removed. As I've said, I think they made the place dark and dreary, but I'd be curious to know why others wanted them kept? have they some significance?

I wasn't suggesting the actual cutting of trees created jobs i'm not saying we go around cutting them and selling the wood & pulp. I'm simply saying that we cant live like the blue fellas in avatar either and put the tree's "life" ahead of developing the city.

Lets say for example some hippys decide to object to the new crystal on the basis of the trees or a kind of fungas or whatever and it gets hit in the head because of it (which can happen) what will the 150 long term people employed ad numerous builders in the short term do?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mecco wrote: »
    whether or not you are for trees or jobs (or none or both), id be more interested in why people are annoyed/disappointed THOSE trees were removed. As I've said, I think they made the place dark and dreary, but I'd be curious to know why others wanted them kept? have they some significance?

Think you'll find that the ESB building is what made the location dark and dreary and not the trees.

tbh as long as they replant trees after I'd be happy but removing trees and not planting more isn't very good for the city either.

The trees are green space for the city and such space is very important in any city, Waterford really doesn't have enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

big john could of done the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Ziedth. wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting the actual cutting of trees created jobs i'm not saying we go around cutting them and selling the wood & pulp. I'm simply saying that we cant live like the blue fellas in avatar either and put the tree's "life" ahead of developing the city.

Lets say for example some hippys decide to object to the new crystal on the basis of the trees or a kind of fungas or whatever and it gets hit in the head because of it (which can happen) what will the 150 long term people employed ad numerous builders in the short term do?

Well in that case could we not chop down the hippies rather than the poor trees! ;)

Surely to god people and tree-kind can learn to live together in peace. Particularly, when it's the ESB that needs to go and not the trees, which could probably be got around?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Think you'll find that the ESB building is what made the location dark and dreary and not the trees.

tbh as long as they replant trees after I'd be happy but removing trees and not planting more isn't very good for the city either.

yeah, Id agree with that as the ideal outcome. What I'd be hoping is the replacements dont overhang the footpath same as the now removed ones. Think thats a significant part of what made me dislike them. Although you are definitely correct in saying the old ESB building had a hell of a lot to do with the dreariness of the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Nothing wrong with cutting down the trees to get the place renovated if they replant new trees when they are done. Perhaps better trees and perhaps better placed. Have the people complaining checked to see if they are gone for good or if new trees will be planted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I think i remember hearing somewhere thats the law is if you cut down a tree one must be planted somewhere else

either that or i was dreaming :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

There's only a few small trees shown in the artist's impression in the "Waterford Crystal site up for sale" thread. However I'm not sure that can be relied upon as the sun is definitely shining in the picture.

I'm always sad to see any trees go, but very happy to see building work on a City Centre attraction going on. It looks bigger than I thought it would be too, and will hopefully give a lift to that whole area in particular and the City generally.

We had friends over last year and they went on the old Crystal tour and thought it was pretty poor. I mentioned that there will be a brand new one opening in the City later this year and they're booking another hotel stay already, although that may have something to do with a couple of long nights in Downes' too.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bluess

If anyone's of ye had looked at the plans for the new site ALL TREE'S are replaced on the new site and just another point is this site is not Waterford Crystal's site but all work is carried out by the city council ( and rented to Waterford Crystal ) so maybe all anger should be directed at the city council for felling the trees ??

To add my point if over 200 jobs will be created why not replace OLD trees with new ones if it will create jobs ??

Advertisement