Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molloy's Liqour Store

Options
  • 03-02-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Drambuie 70cl bottle

Molloy's Ballyfermot €38.99
    Decies County €31

{
    La Rambla, Barcelona €27
    Sicily €18
    }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

Sicily, here i come.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

rameire wrote: »
    Sicily, here i come.

May I recommend Hotel Florio in Teresini or Crystal Palace in Cefalu hehe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Drambuie 70cl bottle

Molloy's Ballyfermot €38.99
    Decies County €31

{
    La Rambla, Barcelona €27
    Sicily €18
    }

So what?

If you dont want to pay it, dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

I imagine flying all the way to sicili for that will be more expensive in the long run.

So what?

eh duh!?

Are you serious? One of us is missing the point of this forum.

To get you clued in a small excerpt from the sticky "What is a Rip Off??"...
    What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices.

@Namelessguy - you have a fantastic imagination, well done! I was just thinking never mind a drive up north, let's go to Sicily for our shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So you're comparing the price of alcohol in Ireland compared to other countries. Hmnn not exactly fair on the shop in question. How much do other places in Ireland charge for those drinks?

Just priced flights to Sicily for you.

One flight is 1200 euro and the other is 2000 euro.

I suggest the first flight as the second seems to be a ripoff.:rolleyes:

http://www.ebookers.ie/shop/home?airDA=true&ar.rt.leaveSlice.dest.dl=34834&ar.rt.carriers[1]=&ar.rt.narrowSel=0&type=air&ar.rt.returnSlice.time=Anytime&ar.rt.numAdult=1&ar.rt.numChild=0&ar.rt.child[4]=&ar.rt.leaveSlice.orig.key=dublin&ar.rt.child[2]=&ar.rt.child[0]=&ar.rt.leaveSlice.time=Anytime&ar.rt.child[6]=&ar.rt.carriers[0]=&ar.rt.numSenior=0&ar.rt.returnSlice.date=16%2F04%2F10&ar.rt.narrow=airlines&ar.rt.carriers[2]=&ar.rt.nonStop=0&ar.rt.leaveSlice.date=12%2F04%2F10&ar.rt.leaveSlice.dest.key=sicily&ar.rt.cabin=C&ar.type=roundTrip&ar.rt.child[3]=&ar.rt.child[5]=&ar.rt.child[7]=&ar.rt.child[1]=&search=Continue

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

OP, I dont think youre being fair using a shop name in a rip off title, when the price they charge is down to the govt duties and taxes, not their profit margin. Your thread should say Irish Drink Price ripoff, or something. Thats your beef, not Molloys prices, which are dictated by the market here.

Gotta admit, I also find it a bit unfair to put the name in the title when it's not really a rip off. I'm all for naming and shaming when companies are blatantly pulling the piss, but this doesn't seem to be such a case.

Just priced flights to Sicily for you.
    One flight is 1200 euro and the other is 2000 euro.
    You didn't price them for me because I didn't ask you to. It's really too stupid but since you brought it up I've gotten flights there for €1.50.

How much do other places in Ireland charge for those drinks?
    One shop €39 the other €31. Did you even read the post?

Oryx wrote: »
    the price they charge is down to the govt duties and taxes, not their profit margin.
    me @rse.
    Gotta admit, I also find it a bit unfair to put the name in the title when it's not really a rip off. I'm all for naming and shaming when companies are blatantly pulling the piss, but this doesn't seem to be such a case.

So then what is it? Molloy's Ballyfermot and Decies County are on opposite ends of the same town!? I suppose I didn't make that clear.
    I threw in the other countries for extra reference. There's no way that the Gov duty jacks up the price that much. It's simple price gouging. I'd like to hear from someone that actually knows the wholesale price on this stuff.

• Advertisement

Oh, I thought I was doing you a favour by pricing flights to Sicily. Those prices were Ebookers, but you got flights previously for 1.50? Jesus, I didnt think Ebookers were ripping people of as well.

Bloody Hell, you live and learn.;)

Oh, I thought I was doing you a favour by pricing flights to Sicily. Those prices were Ebookers, but you got flights previously for 1.50? Jesus, I didnt think Ebookers were ripping people of as well.

Bloody Hell, you live and learn.;)

You should start your own post and I should stop feeding the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

@ OP, Yes it is a rip off from Molloys, And as your comparison with sicily etc shows, our Govt are ripping us off also.

Scouse (Irish shopkeeper i'd guess) replies to every thread here, trying to justify EVERY ripoff, just ignore him (everyone else seems to)!

@ OP, Yes it is a rip off from Molloys, And as your comparison with sicily etc shows, our Govt are ripping us off also.

Scouse (Irish shopkeeper i'd guess) replies to every thread here, trying to justify EVERY ripoff, just ignore him (everyone else seems to)!

Maybe because at least half of them are not ripoffs at all.

But its allowed to feel persecuted and put upon.

Oryx wrote: »
    OP, I dont think youre being fair using a shop name in a rip off title,
    Gotta admit, I also find it a bit unfair to put the name in the title when it's not really a rip off.

It is fair to alert other consumers and to encourage competition.

However to my disgust it had quite the opposite effect. The very next day from posting this thread Decies County jacked up their price an extra €6.50! Did I forget to touch wood? Coincidence? And there I was thinking I was doing them a favour and driving an odd bit of business their way with a good word.

I have to say I'm a changed man after the experience. I was a devout "Buy Irish & Shop Local" punter. I almost killed my local Spar owner for having only NI butter in stock. Well ya know what now... F* 'em all. I'll do a run up the North and get enough liqour to last me the 6 Nations and that'll cover the cost of diesel easily, then we'll make savings by packing up the freezer and non perishable supplies. And then we'll do it all again to finish the Heinken Cup.

A note on the €6.50 price hike; If I buy (at least) 20 bottles through the year but I never buy from my local again that's €750 short fall. Now he must sell an extra 115 bottles just to make up the loss of 1 customer. What if I'm not the only disgruntled customer? You just F*'d yourself mate!

It is fair to alert other consumers and to encourage competition.

However to my disgust it had quite the opposite effect. The very next day from posting this thread Decies County jacked up their price an extra €6.50! Did I forget to touch wood? Coincidence? And there I was thinking I was doing them a favour and driving an odd bit of business their way with a good word.

I have to say I'm a changed man after the experience. I was a devout "Buy Irish & Shop Local" punter. I almost killed my local Spar owner for having only NI butter in stock. Well ya know what now... F* 'em all. I'll do a run up the North and get enough liqour to last me the 6 Nations and that'll cover the cost of diesel easily, then we'll make savings by packing up the freezer and non perishable supplies. And then we'll do it all again to finish the Heinken Cup.

A note on the €6.50 price hike; If I buy (at least) 20 bottles through the year but I never buy from my local again that's €750 short fall. Now he must sell an extra 115 bottles just to make up the loss of 1 customer. What if I'm not the only disgruntled customer? You just F*'d yourself mate!

Genuine question !

Is it possible they made a mistake, or even they had a special offer thats finished?

I'll tell you what. I will hit two offies tomorrow, check the price, and report back tomorrow.

Genuine question !

Is it possible they made a mistake, or even they had a special offer thats finished?

I'll tell you what. I will hit two offies tomorrow, check the price, and report back tomorrow.
    It was €29 in Dec 2008 and he pushed it to €31 because the Rep told him he was selling it too cheap, and I told him then that if he even tweaked the price again I'd never buy from him again.

I'll tell you what. I have you figured as a total tool so do what you want I'm done paying any attention to you.

It was €29 in Dec 2008 and he pushed it to €31 because the Rep told him he was selling it too cheap, and I told him then that if he even tweaked the price again I'd never buy from him again.

I'll tell you what. I have you figured as a total tool so do what you want I'm done paying any attention to you.

Personal abuse wont get you anywhere Just because I dont agree with you.

I will check those prices and post back later, perhaps you are right, perhaps wrong, buy that doesnt make me a tool.

If you want to carry on feeling the world is out to get you and how persecuted you are, then thats up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'll tell you what; tone down the argumentative, trolly and abusive nature of your posts, or no one will have to pay attention to you either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So what?

Your actually getting quite boring, and predictable!
    The dude obviously wants it, but due to the rip off price is UNWILLING to pay well over the odds!
    Your answer of don't want to pay it don't is a stupid answer!
    What's the guy supposed to do? Feckin steal it?
    Fly to Sicily to buy it? He just wants a decent bloody price on the item!
    Can I suggest that unless your inputs to the rip off forms are of decent, informative or a defensive one with reasonable back up, you keep your hands from the keyboard???
    Jeez, am beginning too think your gettin a backhanded from every rip off supermarket, offlicense, and retailer in the land!
    Either that, or your employed by Fagan and his gang of thieves!

• Advertisement
Advertisement