Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT / Vodafone switchover NMK exchange

Options
  • 03-02-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Recently I've been switched over from BT to Vodafone. I'm sure any other BT customers have too. I've noticed my performance is significantly worse but wanted to check if others had seen the same. AFAIK I'm on the Newtown Mount Kennedy exchange and nothing has changed on the line / infrastructure side. Is it just higher contention?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Whats your location?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davegggg

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Whats your location?

Glenview Pk., Kilpedder

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Switched over to vodafone late last year from bt and it's infinitely better for me. BT was forever dropping off - no such problems with Vodafone thankfully.

I'm based on the old N11 outside Newtown heading for Gregory's Garage...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there shouldn't be any difference unless you are on the "up to 24mb" package.

BT consumer broadband is just eircom broadband rebadged - your line plugs into eircom equipment in the exchange and eircom pass the traffic off to BT over their core network - I doubt this has changed with the transfer to Vodafone - its really just a rebranding.

The 24mb service on the other hand does run on all BT equipment - I'm not sure if these customers are moving to Vodafone - neither BT nor Vodafone are still offering this product to domestic customers anymore (I have this service and I'm still getting my bills from BT).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

As far as I am aware (being a BT customer) the "Up to 24MB BB" or "LLU" is migrating to Vodafone as part of the BT / Vodafone migration in March / April 2010 - The greystones Exchange is the only LLU enabled echange in Wicklow so anyone on the Newtown exchange would be on standard bitstream BB

There may be an issue with contention... What speed BB did you have with BT before you moved to Vodafone ?

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware (being a BT customer) the "Up to 24MB BB" or "LLU" is migrating to Vodafone as part of the BT / Vodafone migration in March / April 2010

right - thanks.
    The greystones Exchange is the only LLU enabled echange in Wicklow so anyone on the Newtown exchange would be on standard bitstream BB

There may be an issue with contention... What speed BB did you have with BT before you moved to Vodafone ?

contention on bitstream would be the same for all providers - its controlled by Eircom.

contention on bitstream would be the same for all providers - its controlled by Eircom.[/QUOTE]

Many companies offer different contention ratios. For example, BT's 7 MB Bitstream BB had a contention ratio of 12:1 while Eircom had 24:1. Some companies go as high as 48:1

It is a factor when people switch providers and notice a drop in speed - It's not the speed but the contention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

I switched to Vodafone from BT too and lost access for 2 weeks! Have to say though that the guys in the helpdesk were very helpful (even if it took them 2 weeks to fix!) They said there was some crossed lines when they migrated...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davegggg

As far as I am aware (being a BT customer) the "Up to 24MB BB" or "LLU" is migrating to Vodafone as part of the BT / Vodafone migration in March / April 2010 - The greystones Exchange is the only LLU enabled echange in Wicklow so anyone on the Newtown exchange would be on standard bitstream BB

I applied for the 20MBps package but as cavemeister mentions it wasn't available. That meant I dropped down to a 3MBps package. The line rate I got was always ~3MPS with BT. Lately it has been usually 1.5 - 1.9. Right now it's 2.2 so I can't complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

davegggg wrote: »
    I applied for the 20MBps package but as cavemeister mentions it wasn't available. That meant I dropped down to a 3MBps package. The line rate I got was always ~3MPS with BT. Lately it has been usually 1.5 - 1.9. Right now it's 2.2 so I can't complain too much.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's well within the contention ratio speeds, so chances are they will do nothing about it.

Having said that I have never dealt with the BT / Vodafone support desk so I can't say for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lmryo

I live in Greystones, I moved from BT 24mb package (it was a free upgrade from 7mb) on the 8th march to vodafone option 3 24mb package which is not available, meaning if you use vodafone line checker it says broadband is available but only certain packages are available on my landline number. I have contacted vodafone who acknowledge this but still charge me €67 for a service (24mb), they cant provide,Its not available on their website, using line checker and my landline number) the best is 7mb on my line.The refuse to do anything about this unless I take out a new contract and leave my deal with BT, meaning i will lose my uk calls and move to a higher contention ratio

Any help or info appreciated

the BT package was "up to" 24Mb - I don't think they guaranteed any particular data rate.

24 is the theoretical max for ADSL2+ but it rate adapts depending on the quality of your line - I'm getting about 8Mb.

@ loyatemu

the 24mb package was available on my line with bt, but with vodafone it is unailable, meaning the best = is 7mb which im willing to pay for without taking another 12 month contract

PS: you can not get the 24mb package on my landline it does not support this, the vodafone.ie site says when i use the line checker, congratulations broadband is available but your line cannot support certain packages meanin 24mb packages

LLU should be available from Vodafone on April 1st. (greystones exchange only) BT stopped selling it when partnership was announced in September 2009.

They will start selling it when the BT LLU customer base start migrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 edu21

LLU should be available from Vodafone on April 1st. (greystones exchange only) BT stopped selling it when partnership was announced in September 2009.

They will start selling it when the BT LLU customer base start migrating!

where did you hear about this?
    So Vodafone will be using BTs equipment to offer the 'LLU' based product, but still calling themselves Vodafone...will the price of broadband be reduced then..or is there no change!?

@ cavemeister

Im still being charged for 24mb

AFAIK the move from BT to Vodafone is largely a sales and marketing thing - your line is still plugged into the same equipment in the exchange.

lmryo - regardless of what Vodafone's website says, you're almost certainly receiving the same service you had before - it is LLU which means that in the exchange your line is plugged into a BT\Vodafone switch rather than an eircom switch.

I doubt Vodafone are installing their own equipment in the exchanges - BT are continuing to offer broadband to business customers, Vodafone are probably using the BT gear.

The lower speed products use eircom's infrastructure in the exchange, so unless BT\Vodafone have actually moved the termination of your line (and why would they do that?) your service remains the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 edu21

loyatemu - LLU is cheaper than DSL since the price was slashed recently...so basically all customers that are currently with voda will be switched over to BT LLU where available...
    ...but they are probably still receiving the 'same' speed broadband for the moment but have actually in fact moved platform - at a cheapern rate for Vodafone and/or BT.

Mergers don't happen for just sales and marketing, but ultimately a way of making and saving more money!

This was taken yesterday evening, please take note of ISP Esat Telecommunications, I was transferred to Vodafone on 8-3-2010

759834167.png

they're still using BT's infrastructure - the ISP is determined by your IP address.

That download speed is rubbish for a supposedly 24Mb connection - was it faster before?

• Advertisement

@ loyatemu
    Yes it was faster before always between 4 and 7

760433246.png

760459068.png

Results from : speedtest.net

760979118.png

761015760.png

761043531.png

761076889.png

761105450.png

Yesterday evening I was contacted by a technical service agent who told me his supervisor told him to ring me about my speeds and account. I was told I was connected to LLU exchange and I was on the 24mb package. He said they control the contention ratio meaning Vodafone. If I wanted to change the only option i had was the 24mb package or 1mb package (you read right One mb). He told me the 3mb and 7mb are not available.
    When checking my speeds with speedtest I was getting around 6mb compared with speeds of 1.09mb -2-5mb for the last few weeks, amazing on the day I get a call from technical support. I have been told the accounts dept. will contact me on Monday. I will keep everyone informed on an developements. My line is not capable of supporting more than 7mb so I not going to pay for 24mb

PS : When my line was tested by customer service I was told my line was not capable of 24mb

Im being charged €67 for a 24mb connection ( Greystones LLU Exchange)Help appreciated
    763187022.png

763211567.png

763234518.png

A quick Ping test to show my line quality

13511229.png

763254624.png

763269474.png

All tests have been conduced on other speed testers like irishspeed test and smart telecom speed checker and results are very very similar, I have conducted these tests using wirless N modem router and direct wired ethernet connection

763873354.png

looks like I win - still nowhere near 24Mb/s though.

How do you upload the speedtest image result onto boards? feel like a moron seeing as everyone else can do it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

How do you upload the speedtest image result onto boards? feel like a moron seeing as everyone else can do it :(

Do test and in the results box you will see option on bottom right that says copy forum link. Click that and past the link here. You will end up with below. Try it. :)

765303973.png

Thanks Damo

765349892.png

@Imryo

If you are indeed on the greystones LLU exchange and are only getting those speeds, it might help looking at the following:

1. Are you connected to an LLU platform? Being on an LLU enabled exchange does not automatically mean you have LLU BB - you could still be on a bitstream connection (your LSP will tell you and can upgrade you if thats the case)

2. is your modem pugged in at the main phone point in your home? using secondry points can reduce speed.

3. Have you put a filter on all the phones in your house? Applies usually if you have more than one phone - phone data runs at a different frequency to Internet data and if unfiltered, can interfere with your BB speeds

4. Have you a monitored alarm in your house? If so, you need to have a splitter put on your alarm - usually costs about €100 - €150. this cuts out all alarm interference

If not, contact your isp and ask them to check your line for a fault, that may be the cause - also get them to test the max speed available on your line - your telephone line could be damaged thus slow speeds

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks Damo

765349892.png

are you stealing my wifi? :pac:

Advertisement