Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT / Vodafone switchover NMK exchange

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Seeing such low speeds prompted me to check mine...also low...I reckon we are all getting a re-branded eircom networks broadband and capacity if crap at the moment

I know I am paying for a 7Mb package with UTV and this is what I am getting tonight:

767457366.png

I feel a broadband megamerge thread happening...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lmryo

@ cavemeister

Thank you for your reply, my answer to questions

1. Vodafone have told me im on LLU platform BB
    2. My modem is plugged in at main point I have no secondry points
    3. I only have one phone and its not wireless and filter is applied, I bought a new filter in last 24hrs just to be sure, nothing else is plugged into my phone line I dont have Sky or any wirless devices
    4. No monitored alarm on house
    5. No fault on line, Max speed around 5.6mb according to technical support
    I have been told im been downgraded to a lower package because my line dont support the speed, I will post details when I know more and thank you to all who have gave me help

Update

787780971.png

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Nice..... What changed to give you the boost in speed?

@ cavemeister

Eircom called to my house (1-4-2010) to check line and I was told it was green 100% working perfectly. I asked for all wiring and connections to be checked at house and told all working perfect 100%, eircon technican listened to my phone line and heard a small crackle and said he had to go to exchange, and to check a hub or junction box near my house, he came back 20 minutes later, said there was a loose wire, but did not think this was the problem, he secured it, and these are the speeds I have since then

789855614.png

I am now on 8mb profile with vodafone and my contention ratio is 12:1

PS: I am still paying €67 for this package (the same price the 24mb package, my line dont support it)

• Advertisement

Update :
    Did I speak to soon

At 6-10pm yesterday evening speedtest was telling me my ISP was iol (Ireland on line), I did not take a screen shot of it sorry,
    then when testing again my ISP is Internet Services Ireland

792180170.png
    My speeds are now down

Today: Back to esat

792647352.png

15421750.png

Anyone know or guess why change in providers and speed, do you think they may have moved me to a different package

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're getting the ISP name from your IP address - certain IP blocks would be registered to IOL, others to Esat and other to BT or Vodafone depending on when they obtained them. If you're turning off your modem and reconnecting regularly your IP is probably changing each time. I'm currently being shown as connected by IEUnet - one of Esat's predecessor companies...

792684526.png

@ loyatemu

Rang voda tech support and now

792714891.png

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Ahhhh.. you have me beat!!

793077421.png

Update :

Since 24th April to 5th May I have had these speeds at anytime

792714891.png

794123967.png

797648273.png

800764490.png

Tonight :

805075258.png

• Advertisement

Today : Now using Vodafone servers

822517250.png

17376127.png

They must be updating something

1017324398.png

lmryo wrote: »
    They must be updating something

1017324398.png

How the heck did that happen? Are you messing with us? Seriously, is this old BT hardware now upgraded???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »
    How the heck did that happen? Are you messing with us? Seriously, is this old BT hardware now upgraded???

not likely - absolute max speed for ADSL2 is 24Mb/s

so what you are telling me is that even if they did upgrade the exchange to say 48Mb, my router in my house is of ADSL2+ standard and can only support speeds of up to 24Mb?

***edit just checked out wiki for info - yeah, max 24Mb. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Even the DSLAM in the exchange (the DSL switch feeding your line) can only do 24Mbps max. It's not just a limitation of the router on your end.

I doubt anyone would bother spoofing that result. Must be something dodgy with the speedtest app.

Today

1017978201.png

There was obviously something wrong with speedtest last night, but when I ran the test that was the results I got

Advertisement