Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar area pub advice

Options
  • 03-02-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    I'm going to be staying around the mullingar area for a few days in spring and would just like some advice on decent pubs in the area to help influence where I decide to book to stay. Was looking at staying near either 'Covert pub' or 'Weirs' in mutyfarnham. I can find info on the net re Weirs (which looks nice, if a little pricey?) but nothing about Covert pub. Is it any good for pub food? Just want to be near a good friendly pub that does some decent food in the evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

bettieblue wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm going to be staying around the mullingar area for a few days in spring and would just like some advice on decent pubs in the area to help influence where I decide to book to stay. Was looking at staying near either 'Covert pub' or 'Weirs' in mutyfarnham. I can find info on the net re Weirs (which looks nice, if a little pricey?) but nothing about Covert pub. Is it any good for pub food? Just want to be near a good friendly pub that does some decent food in the evening.
    Weirs is good for food but most locals vote with their feet and go up to the other pub Murtaghs for drinks.
    The Covert is isolated and has changed hands many times. Currently it has not much of a following but maybe thats down to the drink driving laws and could be a cracking pub. It used have a big following but sure didnt they all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The Covert is closer to Mullingar but I'm not sure the food is great. I'm not saying from experience though, just hearsay. I only know Pat & Una in Weirs from eating there the odd time and they're a lovely couple. I'd almost eat there just for Una's desserts ! :)
    If your looking for "friendly" then Weirs is the one I'd recommend but I'm only saying that because I've eaten there, I've never stayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mervin3001

This is without a doubt a fine pub with a great pint of guinness and the owners are lovely people i would highly reccomend it at the weekends probably a bit quite for my liking during the week. as for weirs and the covert im really not sure.:D

Advertisement