Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At Last !!

• 03-02-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭

Hurray - the local exchange has been BB enabled : linky

I provisionally pass the line test, but I'm still not too confident. We live up the same driveway as my parents and I see a grey box on one of the eircom poles at the top of the driveway, that looks like it may be a pairgain.

There was a problem with the line last week, and there was an eircom guy at the house talking to my wife and he said something to her about my parents and us being on a "shared system" and that if we had a problem on our line, they would have also.

What d'yall think - does the fact that I provisionally pass the line test mean anything or would do you think I'm going to have problems?? BTW - If it is a pairgain on the pole, shouldn't I have been told about it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Well - I ordered eircom BB, and got the modem on Thursday.

No DLS light - not even flashing :(
    I have to wait till Monday to make sure they had enough time to switch on my port at the exchange to enable BB, but I doubt this is the issue

I rang an eircom engineer that I had the number for (from the last line problem that we had fixed). He checked with his boss and said that the local exchange is live, and that as we're only 2.5 miles from the exchange that I should have no problem getting broadband.

I asked him about being on a "shared line" as he called it before, and he said should not be an issue - it was a problem ages ago but it's all newer equipment now and I should have no problem, and if I had it's easy enough to fix.

He said if I had any issues to call eircom and ask for "service delivery" and they should be able to fix it.

Is there even any point trying to follow up with eircom on this ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

well - yes of course there is. In fact, I know someone also on a shared line that was previously told they could not get broadband and now they can - so yes definately follow up with eircom

Any idea how/what they did to follow up in order to get it ?
    Any advice would be much appreciated !

Also - do I have to have the Eircom NTU (pdf linky) installed at the entry point into my house where I'm attaching the DSL Filter and modem ?
    Reason I ask is becauseI have removed the eircom and have just a standard double phone socket connector installed
    I have just re-tried the original Eircom NTU and it's still the same so I don' think that makes any difference....(Basically I'm just double checking in case it's something I have done that might be the issue before I go chasing Ericom over this)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The modem often arrives before the bb is available on your line. I doubt very much if they would have accepted your order if you couldn't get it.

They usually give you a date for connection - what date did they give you?

• Advertisement

The modem often arrives before the bb is available on your line. I doubt very much if they would have accepted your order if you couldn't get it.

They usually give you a date for connection - what date did they give you?

They said I should be connected by Monday (i.e tomorrow, the 15th) at the latest and I have until Friday to return the modem if it doesn't work, or I'll get billed. They didn't seem to interested in trying to help if it doesn't work.
    When I ordered it they said I was on an "amber" line and I'd have to try it out to see if I could get it, and I would probably only be able to get 1Meg speed initially, if I could get it at all - not very encouraging eh ?

Well, just to be sure I re-connected the original Eircom NTU (as per thread here) and there is still no difference. No DLS light at all on the modem. Boo....:(

I would imagine your not activated yet...give it time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I don't think I have ever seen anyone post so often before they were even connected! Relax or you will have a heart attack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I had to wait until I got dsl light, the deadline passed. I then had to book a technician who called a few days later and sorted it. Just hang on there, they'll sort it, they don't usually take an order or ship the modem unless the line can take it

• Advertisement

Fair enough lads...
    Was just trying to see what options I might have if the DSL light doesn't come on.

I'm on O2 broadband at the moment, and it's not too bad, but would be nice to have a proper connection, as I work from home 2 days a week and that means I need a very reliable connection, as I work in software and lot of my work is on remote servers.

man and I thought I was impatient :D At least let them get to their deadline tomorrow before calling them up LOL

Advertisement