Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That....does not sound right :(

• 03-02-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

On the drive home tonight I noticed the engine sound got a hell of a lot louder and where before most of the noise was from the sports exhaust it is now primarily coming from the front of the bike near the engine and is roaring.
    Its only a two stroke so I'm used to it being a bit noisey but as it is right now I'm not even sure its a good idea to take it out. I did lose some engine power too when this started.
    Anyone got any ideas what might be up with it?
    Its a 01 NSR 125R1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

My cylinder head cracked a few years back on a 50 cc i had at the time,went from sounding like a scooter to V10 Ferrari.:eek:

Could be that or a crack in the exhaust or the nuts holding the exhaust on underneath are loose and she's moving about a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'd guess your exhaust manifold is probably cracked

if shes lost the low power but still makes the power at high revs that is probably it

put you hand over the exhaust see if its blowing out near the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Just take a closer look at where the exhaust(s) connects to the cylinder(s). Either you lost a bolt and the exhaust is hanging off or the exhaust manifold is cracked. Let's hope it's the former!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Cheers lads, Will probably see if Dr iggy can take a gander at her if I can't spot anything amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Tigger wrote: »
    Or just loose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

From a stroker its most likely your exhaust gasket.

If its just started you probably don't have any oil/exhaust gases obviously escaping, but you should be able to see some blow out if you rev the engine whilst looking at where the pipe bolts to the cylinder head.

If this is the case its exceptionally easy to replace the gasket.

Unless you've hit something 2 stroke exhausts don't normally crack or corrode as the exhaust gases are usually pretty oily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gurgle wrote: »
    Or just loose.

i've seen a lotta cracked stroker manifolds and unfortunatly they seem to be more likley be siezed on then loose

its not a big deal one way or the other op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Gurgle wrote: »
    Or just loose.

or a loose plug...it can happen.....:o

Cheers for the advice lads, I'll have a proper look in the daylight on saturday. Till then I could do with the walk to work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Tigger wrote: »

if shes lost the low power but still makes the power at high revs that is probably it

put you hand over the exhaust see if its blowing out near the head

Had that with one of my bikes, not too hard to resolve.

• Advertisement

Got at the bike in proper daylight today (I really need to find me torch!!) and its a simple hole in the exhaust!
    0b0b6.jpg

It should be easily patchable but I think it might be time for a new down pipe on it looking at the state of it. Time to give city spares a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

looks to me like more than a small hole,I'd say if you went to patch it more of it will fall away,by the pic you posted,above the main hole looks very fragile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Asok wrote: »
    It should be easily patchable but I think it might be time for a new down pipe on it looking at the state of it. Time to give city spares a shout!
    Good call, that one has had its day.

Advertisement