Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Fixed Line Broadband and High Ping

• 03-02-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Been with O2 fixed line broadband for year and a half now I guess and have noticed recently my ping is very high (I think). Speed test result...

704896186.png

Its a 3mb connection and I have done this test several times over the past few months. I do normally get 3mb on downloads but my ping seems to be permanently high. Best I have seen is 169ms.

Is that too high ? Maybe that why I get killed so much in MW2 !? :)

Anyone else with O2 Fixed Line ? Should I get onto their support ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Since when is O2 doing ADSL?

Your likely using so called "Mobile Broadband" which is not actually Broadband and as such you are likely to experience very high pings, very little you can do about it.

"Mobile Broadband" is unsuitable for gaming to be honest,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

No. Its fixed line :) We were part of their pilot scheme a about 18 months ago. Its fixed line.

Its funny... Vodafone rep called recently and nearly fell over when I showed him it was fixed line and O2 :)

Although my high ping isn't funny :(

Just recently they have updated their menu structure, when you ring them up, to include fixed line bb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

how come your isp is showing up on speedtest as eircom

No idea. I figured it was becuase its leased from Eircom by O2 (but I guess most of them are?). But really your guess is as good as mine. Maybe O2 have not registered something or other ?

Its fixed line with O2 alright. We were part of their pilot scheme for 6 months in '08 but for the last year or so have been paying for it. Its only recently that they added the BB part to their 1909 cust care menu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

brianon wrote: »
    No. Its fixed line :) We were part of their pilot scheme a about 18 months ago. Its fixed line.

Fair enough, thats interesting. :)
    lets hope they offer more then the rest of the market though.

I'd imagine it says eircom as O2 would be using Eircom's bit-stream product, its likely they don't yet have all their network fully up and running yet so this might explain it.

• Advertisement

Well so far they are offering me a high ping :)

I think I will switch over to vodafone. O2 only do 1mb and 3mb (I asked them last week about upgrading to 7mb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

brianon wrote: »
    Well so far they are offering me a high ping :)

I think I will switch over to vodafone. O2 only do 1mb and 3mb (I asked them last week about upgrading to 7mb).

I would advise you to do some research before changing to Vodafone - there are some horror stories here on boards.ie regarding speed issues and incompetent customer care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

O2 are at present only offering fixed line ADSL and phone to business customers only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement