Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A FEW SIMPLE QUESTIONS TO WHICH I HAVE NO ANSWER...Please look!

• 03-02-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have several questions I hope you can help me out with...

1 - I'm thinking of ditching my PC for the purchase of a laptop as I have a free dial-up internet connection (in my apartment) which has a whopping speed of 100.0 Mbps, like I say WHOPPING...
    What would be the average speed of BROADBAND?

2 - As for broadband - Is it possible to get one of those USB (is it?) things that normally connect onto a laptop for wireless connection,
    and be possible TO ATTACH IT TO MY PC, for fast surfing?

3 - Which would be the best of the mobile broadband providers
    - 02, Vodafone, Meteor or 3 and do Eircom or Chorus provide mobile broadband?
    Please tell me your PRE-PAY charges.

4 - If I do resort to buying a laptop, how would I be able to transfer all my Favourites/Bookmarks onto the laptop?
    And also my recent Add-ons such as Divx and other codecs that enable me to watch my downloaded movies?

5 - Is an external Hard Drive essential for a laptop?
    And what exactly IS it - extra memory?

6 - Does anyone else find Mozilla INCREDIBLY SLOW?
    I've recently installed it and its worse than Internet Explorer.
    Also have Opera installed recently and finding it either hit or miss
    - one day it'll zoom up the pages for me and others...well, that why I'm here asking these questions...Unable to load pages...

7 - Are Acer laptops any good? Do they have any more problems than any other makes? (I'm preferring Acer at the moment for some reason)
    And finally - Are there any makes of laptop with RAISED buttons,
    like with a PC - I'm not loving the flatness...

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hi guys,

1 - I'm thinking of ditching my PC for the purchase of a laptop as I have a free dial-up internet connection (in my apartment) which has a whopping speed of 100.0 Mbps, like I say WHOPPING...

2 - As for broadband - Is it possible to get one of those USB (is it?) things that normally connect onto a laptop for wireless connection,

4 - If I do resort to buying a laptop, how would I be able to transfer all my Favourites/Bookmarks onto the laptop?
    And also my recent Add-ons such as Divx and other codecs that enable me to watch my downloaded movies?

- one day it'll zoom up the pages for me and others...well, that why I'm here asking these questions...Unable to load pages...

7 - Are Acer laptops any good? Do they have any more problems than any other makes? (I'm preferring Acer at the moment for some reason)

Thanks! :)

So many questions Grasshopper.

I'm going for a lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Hi guys,

Not possible, max dialup speed is 56kbit/s uncompressed, makes the other net questions irrelevant

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

That 100.0 Mbps sounds like the speed of your ethernet port on your PC.

Yes you can plug it in to any usb enabled computer/laptop (so all of them) and work away once you have the CD (not sure if you need CD tbh, never used one but must be something to kick it off) to install it on to that machine.

Um, not sure.

You can backup your favourites using whatever browser it is you use.

It's extra storage for files/data/movies/music. Memory (RAM) in a computer is different to storage (hard drive). Think of it like this, RAM is like your short term memory & your Hard Drive is like your long time memory.

I find Mozilla ok. Try google chrome, it's pretty fast tbh.

Not sure about the buttons on laptops, most of them will be flat due to them having to be close to the screen when the case is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Good answers by kinetic, but he missed one thing.

Stay the hell away for acer. If you really want a cheap laptop go and get something through dell and get their extended warranty (the next business day one) The reason i reccomend this, is acer do not offer any other warranty apart from RTB (Return to base) which by the time you return it to the place you buy it, they test it and send it off, then get it back and test it again your talking a good month without your laptop. Where as dell will be round the next day, if they cant fix it they will replace it.

Advertisement