Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANOTHER Eircom Thread

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jeffk wrote: »
    "Important Notes
    Chorus ntl advises that this service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem"

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/fifteen/

Maybe i read that wrong, but i took it as one router per pc/connection. I know at the minute I have two pcs on the standard four lan port eircom router.

Thats just a marketing gimmick, you could have a 512K connection or a 20MB connection and still have numerous people connected to it.

The only difference between the two is they'll be more bandwidth available on the 20MB connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thats just a marketing gimmick, you could have a 512K connection or a 20MB connection and still have numerous people connected to it.

The only difference between the two is they'll be more bandwidth available on the 20MB connection

Ah yeh i get full whack on the eircom package i have with two pcs. The €8 for no tv with them now theres a money making racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

suddenly today my router speed has gone from 3000 to 8000
    and on speedtest its gone from about 2.5Mb to 5.6Mb
    :confused:

Spunge wrote: »
    suddenly today my router speed has gone from 3000 to 8000
    and on speedtest its gone from about 2.5Mb to 5.6Mb
    :confused:

Mine is flying up till around 6ish and then last night it was @3MB and then late around 12ish less than 1.6MB. Id have thought when most of the businesses closed around the 6 mark it would free up more then enough to cover the extra people logging on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

jeffk wrote: »
    "Important Notes
    Chorus ntl advises that this service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem"

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/fifteen/

Maybe i read that wrong, but i took it as one router per pc/connection. I know at the minute I have two pcs on the standard four lan port eircom router.

I would take this to mean that they are not going to give you support for network issues on your side of the router. The guy who came out to do my install setup one laptop on the network and tested to see it was going on-line ok. That was all I wanted him to do tbh as I was happy to set the rest of the clients up myself. I can't immagine they want their tech support getting involved with permissions and sharing accross your network.

• Advertisement

docmol wrote: »
    I would take this to mean that they are not going to give you support for network issues on your side of the router. The guy who came out to do my install setup one laptop on the network and tested to see it was going on-line ok. That was all I wanted him to do tbh as I was happy to set the rest of the clients up myself. I can't immagine they want their tech support getting involved with permissions and sharing accross your network.

Ah well if its like the eircom router and the lan connections are there your away. I know myself i wouldn't expect them to do any more than a basic install. sure i wouldn't expect an install unless there was something extra ordinary in their set up process

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

Any NAT router I have can theoretically handle ~253 PCs !! (not practical I know)
    Why 253?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

MFZ wrote: »
    Why 253?

A 255.255.255.0 subnet mask can handle 256 addresses. -1 for the network address, -1 for the broadcast network address leaves 254. -1 for the actual router leaves 253 usuable IP's on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

lynchie wrote: »
    A 255.255.255.0 subnet mask can handle 256 addresses. -1 for the network address, -1 for the broadcast network address leaves 254. -1 for the actual router leaves 253 usuable IP's on the network.

Well, choose a different subnetmask then. Class A exists :-)

Advertisement