Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Interview Feedback

Options
  • 03-02-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am set to do my Hibernia teaching interview for the 2nd time on 18th February.
    anybody have any feedback from a recent interview or tips in regard to it - particularly in Irish???:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MizzL

Hi,

I just got accepted into Hibernia after my third interview!

Did you find out after your last interview why you didn't get it? Mine was down to my Irish! They told me I only missed my second interview by a few marks. Best advice I can give you is don't worry about it at all. Just be sure to direct the interview in areas you want to talk about in Irish and english.

Do you have any observation experience in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 F09torres

Hi thanks for the info.
    I got feedback from my first interview and as I expected I failed on my Irish.
    Ive done more practice on that front this time and have being speaking Irish regularly to try and feel more comfortable with the language.
    As far as the interview goes Ive just broken it down into likely topics, such as my hobbies, and hopefully some of what Im comfortable with will be asked.
    Getting nervous now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MizzL

Ok well I failed my first and second based on my Irish.

The Irish questions I was asked in all interviews were the pretty standard ones: My hobbies, make sure you can go into detail on this as they will ask you questions based on your answers. I was asked about going on holidays, a few things about my family. I was asked "What would I do if I won the lotto" so maybe take a look at that if you haven't already. Other than the usual questions, there wasn't anything too out there.

Don't panic at all, you'll be fine. I thought about giving up when i didn't get it the second time round but thankfully I didn't! Third time lucky for me! Honestly though, I'm sure it'll go great for you, plus now you know what to expect since you have been there before.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 F09torres

Thanks for the info - its great to get feedback from somebody else.
    When exactly did you do your latest interview?

I am fortunate enough to have a lady from the Gaeltacht helping me free of charge at the moment - she has really improved my Irish - and she also has covered the Lotto question as she reckons if I do well enough in there its the most likely modh coinniolach question to be asked... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maudy Mac

Hi,

I did my interview last week and was told I wasn't successful. :( I requested feedback and I got a one-line e-mail saying that it was due to failing the Irish section.

Does anyone know how much feedback they actually give? I asked for additional feedback on the other criteria but I am wondering whether they will actually give this!

In Mary I interview, they gave me a breakdown of how I scored in each of the areas they were grading, from fluency of irish to suitability to teach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marmam

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and i'm just about to apply for Hibernia. Can anyone tell me how long the wait is at the moment before people are being called for interview? are there still places left for this October? Finally, what kind of questions are they asking these days, especially for the Irish.
    Thanks a mill, am so nervous.

Hi Marmam,

You will probably be contacted by phone within a week of your application. They assigned me a date which was 4 weeks later.

The advice I would give is to practice conversational irish as much as possible.

Try not to ignore the English section, this section is also tough. You really have to sell yourself, as you are only in there for 20 minutes! The interview is so fast, that you need to mention everything that is relevant (experience, skills, talents etc) as the interviewers do not have time to probe you for this information, as they would in a normal interview.

For the English section I was asked the following -
    Tell me about your education to date
    Has any teacher influenced you in the past?
    How would your work experience benefit you as a teacher?
    Tell me about your degree...did you enjoy it?....How would your 3rd level qualification be relevant to a career as a teacher?
    What type of further study would you undertake on graduating from Hibernia? (Didn't have a clue about this!! Mentioned the summer courses Hibernia ran and they asked me about the courses I mentioned...does anyone have advice on this question?)

Irish...
    I repeated my Leaving Honours Irish last year, asked what I did to improve my irish
    I have travelled a lot, they asked about the countries I visited and the impact of poverty there
    what did I think the life of a teacher is like...difficult or hard
    what will i do next weekend

I was interviewed for October so there are definitly still places.

Like you, I was nervous too but they are all very nice and welcoming. Be confident and genuine when you are the interview, I really believe this is important.

Go n'eiri an bothar leat!

Thanks Maudy Mac. i sent in my application last thursday so i'm hoping to hear back soon. i'm doing the conradh na Gaeilage course this saturday so hopefully that should help. I know a few other people who are thinking of applying also and there are going to the gaeltacht etc in preparation - i'm just not able to do that at present so i'm very nervous about my chances.

I know its nerve racking but just do the best preparation that you can in the time you have left.

Try and forget about the nerves on the day (becuase you will actually relax after a couple of minutes in the interview!) and focus your preparation on effectively communicating your suitablity and what you have to offer as a teacher.

There is only one way to prepare for the irish section, and that is to actually speak the language, so this can be achieved through grinds or conversational irish classes in your local school or community hall.

Very best of luck!! Please come back and post your questions cos this will help me in what is hopefully my final attempt!!!

oh, I forgot to say....would love to hear what you think of the Conradh Na G course as I am considering this course too!

Have you got any experience in a primary school? I didn't have much, only 3 weeks voluntary class room assistant.

• Advertisement

Hi Maudy Mac,
    I got an email from hibernia acknowledging my application and telling me that they would ring in 5-8 weeks to arrange an interview?????? did you get one of those? i thought that they were ringing within the fortnight and that the interview would be 5-8 weeks after that. am all deflated now.

Hi there,
    Yeah, I also got one of those but they did call me within a week or week and a half to confirm my interview time.

Hi Maudy Mac
    Still no word on interview. the C na G course was very useful, she did some general interview stuff - me fein ait conaithe etc and then a fair bit on teaching and experience etc and some grammer and vocab, then we all had mock interviews in the afternoon. its heavy going enough but enjoyable and well worth doing. not sure when the next one is though.

Hi Marmam,

Thanks for the feedback on the C Na G course, think I might do one of these also before the next interview. God, I'll be broke from it all!! :)

Got the feedback from my first interview and it didn't really tell me that much! Basically they felt that I wasn't confident in my irish section, and they also suggested that I do some classroom observation (even though I have 3 weeks experience).

Hopefully you'll hear back soon re. your interview.

Well, i finally got my interview date - May 10th and its sooner than i expected. I am getting really nervous now.
    Do i need to wear a suit?

Hi Marmam,

Good to hear that you got your date!! It will be a relief to get it out of the way.

I would reccommend wearing a suit, but I dressed very conservatively, not much jewellery or make up, hair tidy, nails groomed, shoes shone etc.

Try to be warm and personable. I say this, as I think I came accross cold and probably didn't speak from the heart enough. I was nervous, so I just went into auto-pilot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 arasnagaeilge

Hi guys, Im having my interview in 3 weeks and am gettin a bit nervous now. Are the english questions mainly re. your degree, work experience etc. or do I need to know all the aspects and details of the subjects on the curriculum . Also , in the irish section, are there questions on educational issues asked as Gaeilge?All feedback is apppreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 greenstar123

hi guys...i have my hibernia interview on may12th...for the second time! so disappointed i didnt get in the first time!! any advice for me?? im so nervous!! :eek:

Hi,
    i had my interview last night and this is what i got asked:-
    How did your journey bring you here to us today applying for hibernia
    why would i make a good teacher
    quite ' teaching is about making ordinary people excellent'
    if there was only 1 place left why should they give it to me
    tell us about your observation/teaching experience

Irish
    where you ever in the gaeltacth, what was the average day like there
    are you interested in sport
    do you read
    can you tell us about a tv programme you like
    is a teachers lfe difficult or easy
    what will i do this weekend ( at this point i completely blanked, couldn't think of 1 word in irish)
    no MC ( bad sign?)

English
    what makes a good school
    what would i do if a child used inappropriate language in teh classroom
    is music important in school
    role of IT in the future of teaching.

i was happy enough with the english but i just panicked when it came to the irish so i'm very worried now.
    Best of luck tonight, the panel are very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 greenstar123

I hope those questions come up for me now...im worried about my irish aswell...i found the St. Pats irish interview to be easier than the hibernia! Fingers crossed for the both of us!!

Does anyone who has applied for the second time have any advice...do they ask you what you have done since your last interview or anything???

• Advertisement

I'm sure you will be fine. it shows determination that you are going back! I'm sure I will be doing a second one too. Let me know how you get on.
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Coogee

Had my interview yesterday and very disappointed with my Irish performance! I felt the interview in Irish was very hard. I was asked 5 questions by the first in English, then 17 questions, yes 17 in Irish followed by another 6 in English. What I found most disappointing was that the man asking the Irish simply did not give me an opportunity to speak! Every time I went about answering his questions he interrupted me with another question and this continued throughout. This had the effect of really throwing me off course and I made a mess of the MC question as a result. I could have answered it prfectly 10 seconds later but sin sin! Just wondering did anyone else find a similar experience?

Q's included:
    English
    -Third level education
    -Why primary teaching
    -Education is complied of thousands of lessons and books but it is much more than this. Discuss.
    -observation experience
    -Best working as individual or in a team
    -If a pupil became ill what would you do
    -What would getting on the course mean for you in the short and long term
    -Where see yourself in 5 years time

Irish
    -Passtimes, few on this
    -local place, few tricky ones on this
    -observation, few on this
    -do you have much oportunity to speak Irish
    -MC - If you had 1 million euro what would you do for your local area with the money
    -preparation for Irish interview

I feel 100% certain I will not get a place on this ocassion mainly due to the Irish. Ah well...

i found the same with my irish on Monday and because he kept interrupting it threw me off my stride and i forgot a lot of my irish. i had put so much work into the irish part and i don't think one tenth showed. i went blank when he asked me what will i do this weekend and i didn't even get an MC question, so i think i'll be sending in my second application soon. how did you feel the rest of it went?

marmam wrote: »
    i found the same with my irish on Monday and because he kept interrupting it threw me off my stride and i forgot a lot of my irish. i had put so much work into the irish part and i don't think one tenth showed. i went blank when he asked me what will i do this weekend and i didn't even get an MC question, so i think i'll be sending in my second application soon. how did you feel the rest of it went?

I was reasonably happy with the rest of it, I suppose with some of the questions there is no real right or wrong answer so you are unsure what exactly they are looking to hear so I just tried to be as honest as possible. I was certainly very disappointed with the Irish though as I had put in a big effort and like yourself this would not have been apparant at all as I was interrupted continually. I was barely able to get a sentence in! Do you know how long does it usually take for the notification to come? They said 2 or 3 weeks to me.

they said the same to me. i think they interview Mon-thurs and send the results out on a friday, but not every friday (?!)
    the guy asking the irish questions did say to me ' you never know you could be one of the lucky ones to find out this Friday' but i'm not sure whether to read anything into it or not...
    I am a nervous wreck
    imagine how well we could have done if we had been given half a chance....
    let me know how you get on, i will keep my fingers crossed for both of us

they said the same to me. i think they interview Mon-thurs and send the results out on a friday, but not every friday (?!)
    the guy asking the irish questions did say to me ' you never know you could be one of the lucky ones to find out this Friday' but i'm not sure whether to read anything into it or not...
    I am a nervous wreck
    imagine how well we could have done if we had been given half a chance....
    let me know how you get on, i will keep my fingers crossed for both of us

I am resigned to not getting in on this occasion so not really nervous as a result, more disappointed than anything as I really do feel it was a matter of being so close yet so far if you know what I mean! Are there any good online Irish courses available do you know? I did the Gael chultiur Hibernia Internet course and found it good along with a good few grinds. I was confident enough of my Irish and gutted then with the interview the way it turned out!

I'm eternally optimistic, better to have some hope and all that - at least for a few days and then i can dust myself off next week and stick in another application. I don't know what i could have done differently in the run up to the interview, given what i had done i should have flown through it.
    What time was your interview at? mine was 5pm.

I'm eternally optimistic, better to have some hope and all that - at least for a few days and then i can dust myself off next week and stick in another application. I don't know what i could have done differently in the run up to the interview, given what i had done i should have flown through it.
    What time was your interview at? mine was 5pm.

Do you know if you send in another application straight away I assume you will not be considered for the intake you were originally interviewed for i.e. Oct 2010? Also do people usually send it the same application letter or change their application (their statement part of the application I mean)

i don't know, i suppose you could theoretically get considered for the same intake, but i'd say by the time our next interviews come around october will probably be full. i'm going to send in pretty much the same application ( and yet more money!)

• Advertisement

MizzL wrote: »
    Hi,

I just got accepted into Hibernia after my third interview!

Did you find out after your last interview why you didn't get it? Mine was down to my Irish! They told me I only missed my second interview by a few marks. Best advice I can give you is don't worry about it at all. Just be sure to direct the interview in areas you want to talk about in Irish and english.

Do you have any observation experience in schools?

Just enquiring did you wait long before sending in the second application and also did you pretty much send in the same application the second time around? Thanks a lot..

Advertisement