Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Logs - An Idea...

Options
  • 04-02-2010 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I know i havent been posting here long but one thing that i think would benefit the angling board here would be Fishing Logs, just like the fitness forum has a fitness logs subforum, if there was a subforum here we could give and read regular updates from many posters which in turn would help share information and knowledge about fishing around ireland.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Most of us like to keep a few secrets, cant be given up the good spots:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not wanting to be raining on your day but ... fitness info is a peer support thing for the benefit of both .... angling info is a gold digging thing for taking from one by another (with many people - not all) - they are totally different.

There is no way in a million years I will ever put on a public forum the details of how, where, when and what I fish.

You see, it's just not nice to come back to a favourite place of greenleaves and quiet water, to find a truckload of rubbish, trees torn down for campfires, dead fish heads and remains where they have been filleted, empty bait containers with smelly stuff in them, lager tins, and very likely my no-longer-friend, the farmer standing there and saying never again, I caused it, and even I can't fish there any more.
    We all bring the black bag to clean up after the noddies, and do it with a grumble because it's necessary to put "our spot" in order.
    But we can't put the fish back and restore the trees, and it takes time to remind the landowner that we are the cure not the problem.
    So we all learn sense sooner or later .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In theory I think it's a great idea. In fact as a software developer I had an idea for a website that would let people enter reports (which would include things date, conditions, methods used, successes/failures etc). This could then be used as a knowledge base, so someone could then enter the current conditions and then be shown what methods/locations etc do and don't work.

But thinking it through, I kept coming to the conclusions above. People won't want to share because of what it might lead to, and when people do share those spots could get hammered. I've considered making it invite-only, there's plenty of people on the forum here that I would be happy to share my meagre knowledge with, but even then there's always the chance that someone would get invited and the information would slip out and be abused.

It's something I might still try at some point, I'm pretty poor at log keeping and having a digital/online system might help. I'm not sure if there is some set of rules or some kind of design that could be applied which would make others comfortable with using it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Most of us like to keep a few secrets, cant be given up the good spots:D
    yep I don't even tell the wife where i`m going;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Yes I agree, specific locations and specific details should not be posted on any public forum or they will get abused by a minority of lowlifes who call themselves anglers. It is ok to give general details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

coolwings wrote: »
    Not wanting to be raining on your day but ... fitness info is a peer support thing for the benefit of both .... angling info is a gold digging thing for taking from one by another (with many people - not all) - they are totally different

I dont know where you came to the conclusion that i thought a fishing log would be the same as a fitness log - i dont. Theres also a betting log subforum, and before you say gambling is not the same as fishing - i know.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    In theory I think it's a great idea. In fact as a software developer I had an idea for a website that would let people enter reports (which would include things date, conditions, methods used, successes/failures etc). This could then be used as a knowledge base, so someone could then enter the current conditions and then be shown what methods/locations etc do and don't work.

But thinking it through, I kept coming to the conclusions above. People won't want to share because of what it might lead to, and when people do share those spots could get hammered. I've considered making it invite-only, there's plenty of people on the forum here that I would be happy to share my meagre knowledge with, but even then there's always the chance that someone would get invited and the information would slip out and be abused.

It's something I might still try at some point, I'm pretty poor at log keeping and having a digital/online system might help. I'm not sure if there is some set of rules or some kind of design that could be applied which would make others comfortable with using it?

Great post, ive had the same idea myself for a while now (doing a web design course in college) and i think invite-only would be a must - obviously noone wants a gang of ar$eholes milling through the fish in one spot and destroying the scenery around, leaving poorly built campfires without disposing of them etc.

The point is that whats the point in an angling forum to discuss fishing when theres clearly no sense of community about the place. A fishing logs forum (or similar project outside of boards) i think would benefit us all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Rycn wrote: »
    I dont know where you came to the conclusion that i thought a fishing log would be the same as a fitness log - i dont. ....
    I merely meant that one is beneficial to the users and everybody benefits, but the other is always to the detriment of those who are expected to give of their generosity. Please don't get offended, personal slight is not intended.
    Rycn wrote: »
    The point is that whats the point in an angling forum to discuss fishing when theres clearly no sense of community about the place. A fishing logs forum (or similar project outside of boards) i think would benefit us all.
    There is plenty of point in a forum where people meet and chat, whether fishing or not. There is a strong sense of community. This fishing forum here on boards works quite well for those who have made pals there, at least I think that.

A fishing internet log is a way to pass on experience, which all beginners naturally desire. Now that's a good thing in principle, but not enough people are principled to make it viable. The phrase often used is "a tiny minority ruined it for the majority". Most advice is actually given by advanced learners, via PMs, who have yet to learn the most important lesson of all: "protect the fish you fish for if you want to be able to return to fish for them later".

On angling forums, including this one, the recurring thread comes up: "New to fishing/the district. Tell me where to catch a bundle of fish! PMs are ok too so no stranger gets to see!" Nobody answers those posts. Then someone makes a general response to go to a well known spot with a reputation, an advanced learner with a need sends a PM and consign his favourite fishing spot into oblivion thereby learning his next angling lesson, and the forum moves on.

Good luck with the log.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thinking a little bit more about this, I think there could be a lot of benefit to having logs without specifying the location. Instead of a specific location, the class of location could be used, for e.g. small peat stream, large chalk stream, canal, small mountain lough, large limestone lough etc. Possibly the province could be included too, though I'm not sure if that would be much benefit (maybe to sea anglers?).

That way there could still be a lot of useful data captured such as: time of year, weather conditions, location class, target species, methods used, fish caught (hopefully :)) etc.

It could be both an invaluable resource for beginners, as well as a helpful tool for more the experienced to check if the trends and patterns they have seen match up to the reality of the data. And I don't think it could do too much damage without the specific locations?

Would something like that interest people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I like the idea in principle Rycn but, as most posters have pointed out, there would be a danger in putting up certain productive, but not well known spots, as it is open to abuse. And there are a lot of "anglers" out there that do not see beyond filling a bag with fish as the only way to enjoy their sport.

I know several spots which not are now off limits to people due to the manner in which they were treated by some (poaching, rubbish, damage). And other spots which are now devoid of fish. Its unfortunate a minority can ruin it for the genuine anglers.

I think most posters here mention when they had a productive outing anyway and the results of which find their way to the "post your pics" thread. If your a regular poster and mention you are heading to a certain part of the country other posters will advise through pm on decent spots but anyone who just asks in general terms will receive a general answer.

There is certainly scope however for something like you mention tho...we could do a log with general details as the season gets started or a species challenge for the sea and coarse lads (would have to be done on a gentlemens agreement ;))

Edit - or something just like stevemu mentions above!

stevenmu wrote: »
    Thinking a little bit more about this, I think there could be a lot of benefit to having logs without specifying the location. Instead of a specific location, the class of location could be used, for e.g. small peat stream, large chalk stream, canal, small mountain lough, large limestone lough etc. Possibly the province could be included too, though I'm not sure if that would be much benefit (maybe to sea anglers?).

That way there could still be a lot of useful data captured such as: time of year, weather conditions, location class, target species, methods used, fish caught (hopefully :)) etc.

It could be both an invaluable resource for beginners, as well as a helpful tool for more the experienced to check if the trends and patterns they have seen match up to the reality of the data. And I don't think it could do too much damage without the specific locations?

Would something like that interest people?

Thats exactly the idea i intended steve, i have been personally planning something like this outside of boards the past number of months and just stuck my head in to see the responses.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    I like the idea in principle Rycn but, as most posters have pointed out, there would be a danger in putting up certain productive, but not well known spots, as it is open to abuse. And there are a lot of "anglers" out there that do not see beyond filling a bag with fish as the only way to enjoy their sport.

I know several spots which not are now off limits to people due to the manner in which they were treated by some (poaching, rubbish, damage). And other spots which are now devoid of fish. Its unfortunate a minority can ruin it for the genuine anglers.

I think most posters here mention when they had a productive outing anyway and the results of which find their way to the "post your pics" thread. If your a regular poster and mention you are heading to a certain part of the country other posters will advise through pm on decent spots but anyone who just asks in general terms will receive a general answer.

There is certainly scope however for something like you mention tho...we could do a log with general details as the season gets started or a species challenge for the sea and coarse lads (would have to be done on a gentlemens agreement )

Edit - or something just like stevemu mentions above!

See, there are definitely some positive ideas floating around!

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    I merely meant that one is beneficial to the users and everybody benefits, but the other is always to the detriment of those who are expected to give of their generosity. Please don't get offended, personal slight is not intended.

There is plenty of point in a forum where people meet and chat, whether fishing or not. There is a strong sense of community. This fishing forum here on boards works quite well for those who have made pals there, at least I think that.

A fishing internet log is a way to pass on experience, which all beginners naturally desire. Now that's a good thing in principle, but not enough people are principled to make it viable. The phrase often used is "a tiny minority ruined it for the majority". Most advice is actually given by advanced learners, via PMs, who have yet to learn the most important lesson of all: "protect the fish you fish for if you want to be able to return to fish for them later".

On angling forums, including this one, the recurring thread comes up: "New to fishing/the district. Tell me where to catch a bundle of fish! PMs are ok too so no stranger gets to see!" Nobody answers those posts. Then someone makes a general response to go to a well known spot with a reputation, an advanced learner with a need sends a PM and consign his favourite fishing spot into oblivion thereby learning his next angling lesson, and the forum moves on.

Good luck with the log.

Thanks for the reply coolwings, i understand its not to anyones desire to divulge certain information to newcomers to the forum or at all, sure im a newcomer myself, but the fact remains that if something along the lines of what me and stevenm are "brainstorming" with an invite-only member base (and not nessecarily on boards.ie either) it would be extremely beneficial IMO to the real irish fishing community in general and not the type of anglers you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

it is also worth noting that there are fisheries that are private/commercial well managed, monitored and controlled that detail information could be given about.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

it is also worth noting that there are fisheries that are private/commercial well managed, monitored and controlled that detail information could be given about.

Ditto, but I do agree that "wild" swims should be kept off the main boards etc. I do like the idea of a "closed" area where members could swap info, but at a limited capacity and strictly run.

Advertisement