Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Brands

Options
  • 04-02-2010 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Could anyone answer me the following :

Firstly, is the Cider Druids Celtic Cider Irish? According to the info on the can, it is made in the UK...but for a company with an address in Ireland - could someone explain?

Secondly, the drink Fat Frog is also made in the UK but for a company with an address in Ireland.

So does that make them two brands of alcohol Irish?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Could anyone answer me the following :

Firstly, is the Cider Druids Celtic Cider Irish? According to the info on the can, it is made in the UK...but for a company with an address in Ireland - could someone explain?

Secondly, the drink Fat Frog is also made in the UK but for a company with an address in Ireland.

So does that make them two brands of alcohol Irish?
    No the information on the can/bottle is simply for legal reasons..

But Devils Bit Cider is irish..!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Druids, AFAIK, is made at Aston Manor near Birmingham, the home of many brands of nasty "cider". I've never been close enough to a bottle of Fat Frog to look, but I'd say it's a similar deal. By the sounds of it both brands are owned by Irish companies but are manufactured abroad.

It happens with beer too: Time Lager (which I think may now be defunct) was owned by a Dublin-based company but brewed in Yorkshire; and Árainn Mhór beer is made in Belgium for a bloke in Roscommon.

It's debatable whether these count as "Irish" products. I would say no: unless the drink as actually being produced in Ireland, supporting jobs in the Irish drink-making sector, it's not Irish. However the National Consumer Agency are happy for products produced abroad under contract to be labelled as Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

BeerNut wrote: »
    Druids, AFAIK, is made at Aston Manor near Birmingham, the home of many brands of nasty "cider". I've never been close enough to a bottle of Fat Frog to look, but I'd say it's a similar deal. By the sounds of it both brands are owned by Irish companies but are manufactured abroad.

It happens with beer too: Time Lager (which I think may now be defunct) was owned by a Dublin-based company but brewed in Yorkshire; and Árainn Mhór beer is made in Belgium for a bloke in Roscommon.

It's debatable whether these count as "Irish" products. I would say no: unless the drink as actually being produced in Ireland, supporting jobs in the Irish drink-making sector, it's not Irish. However the National Consumer Agency are happy for products produced abroad under contract to be labelled as Irish.
    It's a hard one 'cos Budweiser is made here but is American. Come to think of it, with Irish group C&C's purchase of Tennent's, Gaymers Pear Cider and Blackthorn, I'm assuming they could be classed as Irish as C&C now own's them.

It's a hard one 'cos Budweiser is made here but is American.
    Except its parent company is Belgian.
    Come to think of it, with Irish group C&C's purchase of Tennent's, Gaymers Pear Cider and Blackthorn, I'm assuming they could be classed as Irish as C&C now own's them.
    Yes, they could be. And by the same rationale Guinness would be British because it's made by a company based at Henrietta Street, London.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Except its parent company is Belgian.

Yes, they could be. And by the same rationale Guinness would be British because it's made by a company based at Henrietta Street, London.
    Correct.

Would any of you guy favour buying a certain drink 'cos it's Irish? Personally I do but that just me.

• Advertisement

Would any of you guy favour buying a certain drink 'cos it's Irish? Personally I do but that just me.
    I would favour a drink because it's made in Ireland, and I favour one ever more when it's Irish and made by an Irish-owned company. When it's made in Ireland, by an Irish company, and tastes nice, I'll buy you one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Correct.

I try to buy Irish when I am out. Not always though. My 1st choice would be Hooker, Goodstore IPA or some other good Irish Beer. Otherwise i go Belgian mainly!

Was looking at a can of Druids Celtic Cider in my local off-license tonight and it is made in the UK for Comans Wholesale. Here is a link to their website http://www.comans.ie/index.html

So is Druids Celtic Cider produced for Comans Wholesale (therefore an Irish product) or is a British product distributed by them?

Comans (an Irish company) commissioned Aston Manor (a British company) to make it in the UK. That makes it a British product in my book. The guys in Birmingham formulated the recipe and produced the drink to order, in Britain. The only involvement from people based in Ireland was phoning through the order and paying for the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Lets just call it a British product and an Irish Brand ;)

• Advertisement

Comans don't make anything. According to the comans rep that calls in to our place they are "brand developers". All that seems to amount to is looking for more shelf space for dutch gold , prazsky etc.

Advertisement