Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Visually Impaired folk about?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm going to turn into a spammer of boards pretty quickly with all my questions.

But basically, today I was told there's a fair chance I'll go blind. I have a parasite (I don't want to say the name as my parents are googling the life out of this and there's very little written about it from Irish websites so boards will come up but anyone who knows about the eye disease that is associated with the domestic animal that is not a dog will know what I'm on about).

Anyway, it's attacking one eye right now, I shouldn't even be on the internet, I think - I really don't know what I should or shouldn't be doing because I was too shocked today to ask questions.

I still don't have anything specifically I need to know, I just want to become more informed about this. It's hard when the people around me, who also don't know what I should or shouldn't be doing, are telling me I can't even read a book.

I would just like to hear from anyone who has any experience with being visually impaired. Can I use a computer? How long would it take me to regain independence. As blindness is still only a possible outcome of this my doctor, who is great, wouldn't entertain these thoughts.

But it's 01.40am and there's not much else to think about right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Hi, I can't answer your questions, don't know much about visual impairment. That's terrible news for you to hear. I'm sure you'll find support out there and you won't be the first to go through this. I had a quick search for the illness you described and it sounds dreadful.

However, there was plenty of information out there from people who suffer from vision impairment and are coping well with the challenges it brings.

I have a friend with MS who is legally blind. She has got loads of help from organisations and government and lives a very full life. She can still use a computer and was able to continue working and driving for years with impaired vision.

It must be an awful shock for you. I hope you can find the information you are looking for and are happy with the medical care that's available.

Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 inajam

Thanks, that's just the kind of stuff I needed to hear.
    It was a shock, but it's not a 100 per cent yet that anything bad will happen.
    This current flare up might go away, even if the slightly distorted vision I have on one side was to be maintained I'd be ok.
    Thanks again for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tadru

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE ROLLERCOASTER YOU ARE ON NOW INAJAM, I HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF LOSS OF SIGHT BUT MY SON DID. HE WAS BORN WITH 10% VISON...HE LIVED A VERY FULL LIFE AND MY FEELING IS THAT HE HONED HIS OTHER SENSES TO COMPHENSATE. HE LOVED AND APPRECIATED MUSIC, LITRATUIRE AND THE ARTS IN A WAY THAT WAS DEEPER THAN A SIGHTED PERSON, THERE ARE SO MANY ELECTRONIC DEVICES NOW TO ASSIST,,,,THERE IS NO DOUBT IT WILL BE DIFFERENT BUT I BELIEVE YOU ARE MASTER OF YOUR OWN DESTINY. ONE THING FOR SURE, YOU ARE MAKING A GREAT START BY FACING THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES OF YOUR SITUATION, AND PLANNING AHEAD. I WISH YOU THE BEST!

Advertisement