Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Not to sure if this is the right place for this but anyways, I'm half way through my first year in me new school and I'm really considering switching back to my old one. Only problem is the new place is a boarding school and it cost the folks quite a bit to send me there. It's a good school and that but I'm finding it very hard to "fit in", I've made one or two friends but everyone else seems like they don't really want to get to know me ? Which has me spending most days on me own after school(till 8pm, only a day boarder so I come home every night). It's not like im not trying to "fit in" and make more friends but I'm just getting the cold shoulder and coming from the old school where I was, it's a massive change to what I'm used to, Old place I knew 90% of the school and most of my good friends were in the place and had some of the best craic of me life in the place. Only problem with that place is I was getting in sh*t most of the time and getting suspended etc..

So basically I'm in need of a few other opinions on the situation and what you would do If you were in my position because I'm gone mad with trying to figure out all of the outcomes in me head :confused: !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

Benji187 wrote: »
    Not to sure if this is the right place for this but anyways, I'm half way through my first year in me new school and I'm really considering switching back to my old one. Only problem is the new place is a boarding school and it cost the folks quite a bit to send me there. It's a good school and that but I'm finding it very hard to "fit in", I've made one or two friends but everyone else seems like they don't really want to get to know me ? Which has me spending most days on me own after school(till 8pm, only a day boarder so I come home every night). It's not like im not trying to "fit in" and make more friends but I'm just getting the cold shoulder and coming from the old school where I was, it's a massive change to what I'm used to, Old place I knew 90% of the school and most of my good friends were in the place and had some of the best craic of me life in the place. Only problem with that place is I was getting in sh*t most of the time and getting suspended etc..

So basically I'm in need of a few other opinions on the situation and what you would do If you were in my position because I'm gone mad with trying to figure out all of the outcomes in me head :confused: !
    Go back to your old school. If you're getting the cold shoulder, you wont feel good, which is turn could potentially effect your school work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Have you tried talking to your parents about this? I know you may think it'd be a hopeless case, but regardless of how much money they spent, no parent wants to see their kid unhappy at school, trust me.

Also, is there any extra-curricular stuff you could get involved in? Most people find it a lot easier to make friends when you're in a group where you share a common interest rather than being shoved into a classroom with a mixture of different people and personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Benji187

Ya I'm on a couple of sports teams but off the pitch then It's like they don't know me ? I'm starting to think that where I'm from and the fact that I'm not loaded like the majority of the people there is a reason ? " That scummie fella " I've been referred to a few a time by, More then likely they have a good reason to see me as that fella seeing as I wear tracksuit's, nikes and have short back side hair cut, But thats just what I've been dressing like since I can remember ! I wouldn't consider me self a scumbag or anything.

I'll probably say something to me folks sooner rather then later though, Just feel like an ungrateful dick if I do though seeing as It was my idea to go to the new school so I'd be able to get a good leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Best advice I can give you is to talk it over with the folks. You'd be surprised how understanding they can be sometimes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

A load of people transfered into my old school one year. I know a few of them well now, but I know at the start they hated it. They felt like outsiders, and like they'd never have any friends there or anything, but it worked out for them in the end. Just be nice to people etc. If they don't want to know you, it's up to you to try harder to get them to give you a chance. I'd say talk to your parents, but also try to wait out the year. It's only one year, and things can change really quickly. For now you have the one or two friends, which is a lot better than no one. Once people get to know you thing's will get better. People judge at first, but they do get over it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Benji it might be a good idea to post this in the Personal Issues forum as well. A lot of the posters there are extremely helpful and will be more than happy to offer another opinion.

Advertisement