Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should a brand new PC come with an operating system installation disk.

• 04-02-2010 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a Samsung N140 Netbook two months ago, last week it picked up a serious virus. I couldn't even go beyond the windows logo at boot even in safe mode. I removed the HDD and formatted it in a caddy to prepare for a fresh installation.

I tried booted up with the disk that came with the machine to discover that it was non bootable and only contained Samsung drivers and not the operating system.

My last netbook came with a self booting disk that came with everything. Is Samsung obliged to supply me with a fresh copy of XP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hidden OS partition on the disk maybe? I dunno.

Might be time to try out Linux (Mint is cool) if they don't give you an XP disc, or it will keep you going so your netbook isn't useless! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Get on to Samsung or the place you bought it and they should post you out the OS installation disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Should they? Yes. Do they? No.

All new hardware these days comes with a Recovery Partition that you load at the POST screen.

You should be able to order one from Samsung as I can from HP but expect to - you know - pay for it. I think they want like $20 or something if I want a disk. You supply the License Key, found on your laptop's chassis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Ya they don't usually send them out any more especially with netbooks.
    You can do a reinstall from the recovery partition. When you first power it on type F4 (I think thats the one) and that should bring you into the recovery mode.

Make sure you backup first as your netbook will be reset to its factory settings.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd hope by formatting the HDD, the OP hasn't deleted the recovery partition!

I know with Acer laptops, when set up initially, you're given the option to burn an image to a DVDR.

Still, it is a shame they don't all supply the disc, it's not like they're expensive to make!

• Advertisement
Advertisement