Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for Bank Draft to clear?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭

Lodged a BOI bank draft in AIB account Monday afternoon. It's now Thursday morning and it still hasn't cleared. A direct debit has pushed my account into the red since yesterday so I'm going to be paying penalties on this! Anybody know how long it takes to clear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Lodged a BOI bank draft in AIB account Monday afternoon. It's now Thursday morning and it still hasn't cleared. A direct debit has pushed my account into the red since yesterday so I'm going to be paying penalties on this! Anybody know how long it takes to clear?

I would have thought there would no waiting time on a bank draft as it's like cash? Someone correct me if I'm wrong? Seems like an unusual long time to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yeah, that's what I thought too and was expecting to see it in my balance straight away but I checked a few websites on Tuesday and I found that some banks can have a few days of waiting so I figured that was the case being a BOI Bank draft going into an AIB account.

However I expected to see it there yesterday as the third day but not seeing it there today is really worrying me. Especially when I assumed it went through overnight and used my lasercard to pay for petrol only to have it refused by the machine.

My "virtual" balance on my online account shows it as being lodged and I'm in the black but my real balance, as checked on an ATM shows that the money isn't in the account leaving me in the red! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

3 to 5 working days

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A BOI draft to an AIB account takes 5 working days to clear and vice versa. It will be cleared on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Thanks Toots. At least I know it's on the way! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Gearoil

If it takes that long to clear which is the same as a cheque what is benefit to the receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Gearoil wrote: »
    If it takes that long to clear which is the same as a cheque what is benefit to the receiver
    The benefit is that you are sure there are funds there to meet it.

The clearance time is the same as for a cheque because a bank draft is actually a cheque - a cheque drawn (drafted) by the bank on itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement