Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Options
  • 04-02-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Sonic 4 was annouced last night for the XBLA, PSN and WiiWare. It is a direct sequel to Sonic and Knuckles and restores Sonic to his 2D Glory. Cannot wait :D

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/04/project-needlemouse-is-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episodic-on-ps3/#continued

Plot: Our Legendary hero returns! With the Death Egg finally destroyed, and Angel Island back in the sky, Sonic decides it's time to take a break and heads off to explore a new territory on his own. However unbeknownst to Sonic, Eggman has also survived their last encounter, and has begun taking measures to rid himself of our hero. Armed with his signature Speed, super Spin Dash - and powerful Homing Attack, Sonic is ready for an all-new adventure!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Holy crap... Best bit of gaming news I've heard in years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Looking at the Sonic 4 website there and they have countdowns everywhere, looks like when they countdown Sega release more game info.

Also noticed there that it says for XBLA, PSN WiiWare and ????? So an unknown console or PC may be getting it also

http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Definately one to be downloaded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

im not convinced yet, if they make it all about Speed which the trailer suggests, its not gonna be a patch on 1,2 or 3&Knuckles. some of Sonic's best levels were challenging and fairly slow paced levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    im not convinced yet, if they make it all about Speed which the trailer suggests, its not gonna be a patch on 1,2 or 3&Knuckles. some of Sonic's best levels were challenging and fairly slow paced levels.

It's been Sonic Teams problem for years. They just don'tunderstand what makes a good sonic game and think more speed is better. That's why I'll wait for reviews.

• Advertisement

yep and its why I thought the sonic advance games sucked too and they were in 2d although not everyone will agree with that statement. ill probably still buy Sonic 4 alright. Another thing, dont like the way its being called Episode 1 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

So this is it then?

Finally, what we've been asking for the whole time.. Sonic Team..don't mess with us please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

AndyKiely wrote: »
    Also noticed there that it says for XBLA, PSN WiiWare and ????? So an unknown console or PC may be getting it also
    http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html

I'd reckon iPhone and iPad would be a fairly safe bet for this also.
    It's good that they may finally have recognised that Sonic just doesn't work properly in a free-roaming 3D world. :)

Looks like it'll be released in episodes so we either don't get the full game, or we'll get loads of games.. which will eventually be released on a retail disc I bet.

Sonic 1, 2, 3 and 4 episodes 1,2,3,4 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

Awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I cant bring myself to get excited about this yet
    Please dont mess this one up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Meh, after seeing the way sonic runs in this game, its enough to make me not play it at all.

He seems very awkward going really fast with a running animation like that.

The fact that it's called Episode 1 is plain stupid in my opinion. Sonic 4 would've been fine on its own, then just call Episode 2 "Sonic 5" or "Sonic 4:
    " subtitle.

I'll wait till I see full gameplay on it before I jump on this bandwagon.

The fact that it's 2D might not make a difference, because SEGA has went downhill as a developer/publisher since the Dreamcast

I'm also worried they won't make it nice and simple like the previous 4 (Sonic 1, 2, 3, S&K) and just put in a load of useless garbage that f**ks up the game or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Some people are never happy. Sega go back to basics with Sonic and there are people here complaining and they haven't even played the game yet :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bryn wrote: »
    Some people are never happy. Sega go back to basics with Sonic and there are people here complaining and they haven't even played the game yet :rolleyes:

They went back to basics with the sonic advance games and Sonic Unleashed. Both games were crap. I've no belief that sonic team can make a good sonic game when for the last 10 years they have shown that they don't understand what made the old games so good. Sonic Rush was very good but was still too fast with no platforming and suffered from unfair deaths from off screen pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They went back to basics with the sonic advance games and Sonic Unleashed. Both games were crap.

To be fair to them, they tried to do the basics in a 3D environment in Advance (didn't work), and a bloody Were-Hog in Unleashed (didn't work either, it slowed the game down).

This, at least on the surface appears to be a proper Sonic platformed like on the Mega Drive of yore. I hold out more hope for this...

... Only for my hopes to eventually be dashed, most likely. (Hopefully it's more Sonic 2 than Sonic and Knuckles :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Looking forward to it, hopefully it'll go back in S&K quality!

There has been leaked footage of the game. Some places look a little off, but it's still being developed. Check the link. Must say it's looking awesome!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/16/rumor-sonic-4-screens-and-footage-leaked/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Both Mario and Sonic are going back to their 2-D roots...maybe a sign that people are tiring of the 3-D obsession. I think certain genres just work best in 2-D.
    funkyflea wrote: »
    Looks like it'll be released in episodes so we either don't get the full game, or we'll get loads of games.. which will eventually be released on a retail disc I bet.

That's crap. The last time they tried to this on XBLA,with Penny arcade, it only got as far as episode 2 and was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://kotaku.com/5473427/sega-not-developing-sonic-4

Turns out that the developers of Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush are making it, not Sonic Team!
    This keeps sounding better and better!:D

Right, thinking of giving up. Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush were god awful. I know Sonic Team havn't been doing the business themselves recently but I would still rather they develop the game.

I'm going back to reserving my Judgement and I'm not looking forward to it has much as I was, a little Disappointed :(

Roll on Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing :D I'll get enjoyment from that for a while anyway.

• Advertisement

I actually liked Sonic Rush.

And speaking of which sonic team aren't involved in Sonic 4. Dimps the guys behind Sonic Rush and helped Capcom with Street Fighter 4 are behind it. So this could actually be good!

fix that jump animation and it looks like you got a download from me!

Looks like they Still have some work to do on Animations anyway. Will still get it being the big Sonic man I am. Just dissapointed it's not Sonic Team. Although I did notice in the leaked footage on start up it says Sonic Team which is a bit weird :S

Sonic Rush was credited to sonic team as well when they had feck all to do with it. It's like the new castlevania game which is being credited to Kojima Productions even though they have absolutely nothing to do with it other than Kojima saying 'yeah slap my name on there' because it's being developed in Spain.

I'm actually delighted Sonic Team are no where near this game. They have made nothing but absolute **** since the dreamcast died.

I get where your coming from, and I agree completly Sonic Team have been pretty bad since the death of the Dreamcast. I just thought that they would be able to manage a game that would be like the one's that made them great in the 90's. But I suppose no matter what I wish those days will never be back :(

Maybe it's for the best anyway, didn't one of the bigwigs leave them there last year. Developer of Sonic Unleashed or something bad to do with it anyway(thankfully he's gone). I'm going to look at it like this, it's impossible for Dimps to make a game as bad as Sonic Unleashed.

Turns out the game is being developed by both Sonic Team and Dimps, this could be an interesting partnership right here.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/18/sega-confirms-sonic-4-developed-by-sonic-team-and-dimps/

I kind of smell BS there. I'd say Dimps are developing with a producer from Sonic Team just making sure they don't screw it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say Dimps are developing with a producer from Sonic Team just making sure they don't screw it up.
    Which has all the common sense of asking a paedophile to baby sit a kid.

The animation does need more work. I hate the way he starts off walking before he runs, looks so awkward. Collision detection might need some tweaking too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Advertisement