Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

01 Peugeot 307 - Head gasket

• 04-02-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advise re a Peugeot 307.
    Garage has informed me that the Head gasket has blowen.
    Is it worth replacing or should i look at investing the money to fix it in a new vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Depending on what sort of condition its in realy. If its been reasonably well kept, it'll sell on after you get the repairs done, which I would quote at being no more than 3-450 depending on whether the car has overheated/ head requires skimming. You'll have a hard time selling a car with a defective head gasket...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fix it away, it'll cost under €500 to fix it and the car is worth fixing as it'll be very hard to sell as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

I was quoted €1000 approx for it to be repaired. Also the timing belt is gone in it. If I do fix it, is it a case of 'patching up the cracks' so to speak or will it last?

AzureAuto wrote: »
    Depending on what sort of condition its in realy. If its been reasonably well kept, it'll sell on after you get the repairs done, which I would quote at being no more than 3-450 depending on whether the car has overheated/ head requires skimming. You'll have a hard time selling a car with a defective head gasket...

Im not looking to sell it on. Just wondering if it is worth fixing or would my money be better well spent in buying another car for around the price it would cost to fix it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how do you mean the timing belt is gone, did it snap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Maybe try another mechanic to tell you exactly whats wrong.
    Weird how its a head gasket and now timing belt problem too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like timing belt snapped. The water-pump on these does go and takes out the timing belt.

I'd imagine it would be in or around €700/€800, but it would depend on how many valves need to be replaced. I think that's only an 8 valve engine so shouldn't be too bad.

Once the Job is done correctly you should be good to go. I done one about a year ago now and its running better than ever. I also solved another problem when I was in there that the peugeot dealer caused, but couldn't fix! (they hadn't bolted back on the inlet manifold properly and it was throwing up emissions faults every few weeks!)

Try Dan Daily in Dunshaughlin if your anywhere near there for a price.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    how do you mean the timing belt is gone, did it snap?
    Yes it snapped.
    Muckie wrote: »
    Maybe try another mechanic to tell you exactly whats wrong.
    Weird how its a head gasket and now timing belt problem too.
    Should have probably described it better
    Sounds like timing belt snapped. The water-pump on these does go and takes out the timing belt.

I'd imagine it would be in or around €700/€800, but it would depend on how many valves need to be replaced. I think that's only an 8 valve engine so shouldn't be too bad.

Once the Job is done correctly you should be good to go. I done one about a year ago now and its running better than ever. I also solved another problem when I was in there that the peugeot dealer caused, but couldn't fix! (they hadn't bolted back on the inlet manifold properly and it was throwing up emissions faults every few weeks!)

Try Dan Daily in Dunshaughlin if your anywhere near there for a price.

Yes the water pump is gone too. There was no anti freeze in the car over the hard frost (I know... stupidity!) so im guessing this is what caused it.

So general concenus is to get it fixed and it should be ok?

Advertisement