Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super League XV. Round 1. 5th-7th Feb.

Options
  • 04-02-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Well, Quite a weekend in prospect. The action starts in earnest...and through an accident of fate Noble goes home to Wigan and Long heads back to Saints. Also be interesting to see how Myler goes in a Wire shirt (He's been training with Andrew Johns for the last few weeks)...could this finally be the year when the Wolves make the breakthrough?

Fri 5th

Wigan Warriors v Crusaders KO 20:00

Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls KO 20:00 *Sky Sports 1*

Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers KO 20:00

Sat 6th

St. Helens v Hull FC KO 17:45 *Sky Sports 2*

Sun 7th

Hull Kingston Rovers v Salford City RedsKO 15:00

Wakefield Wildcats v Catalans DragonsKO 15:30

Warrington Wolves v Harlequins RLKO 15:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Seconds out - Round 1:D

New season, opening day - definitely one of my favourite weekends of the year, and what a wonderfully intriguing round of matches to get things underway. Congratulations to Sky too for choosing the best two games of the weekend.

Wigan Warriors v Crusaders - Whilst Noble's return to the DW gives a bit of added spice to this fixture Wigan really should be fighting for the top spot this season, and I can't see how Crusaders could keep the score lower than what Leeds recorded against them.

Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls - Are we to see a revitalised Bulls team returning to past glory days? Can Huddersfield build on last year's top 4 finish? This should be a cracker of a game.

Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers - The difference between these two teams is consistency. Cas have shown that they can beat any team in SL on their day, but this happens only a handful of times a season. Leeds have a game under their belts and are building towards the World Club challenge - can only see a Leeds win here.

St. Helens v Hull FC - Are Hull going to turn-around 2 appalling seasons for a top 4 finish, under the guidance of Sean Long? Are Saints going to struggle to maintain their top 2 domination? The other great tie of the round with, what could be, two very evenly matched teams.

Hull Kingston Rovers v Salford City Reds - Think KR will find it hard to finish as high this season, whereas the Reds are going to find it hard to finish out of the bottom 2.

Wakefield Wildcats v Catalans Dragons Les Cats finished the season in storming form but how will they adapt to losing Greg Bird? Wakey have a win under their belts already and will want revenge for their play-off defeat at their hands. Think the cold conditions will not suit the French outfit.

Warrington Wolves v Harlequins - If this Warrington team isn't challenging for a top 4 spot this season they should bring the Witch Doctor in;) Poor old Quins have a tough start, especially with the injuries to key players, but the run out against Wakey could be an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm gonna say all home wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm gonna say all home wins.

Yeah, possibly...maybe the Catalans might put one over Wakey (sorry Wakeytyke,I know heresy!;)) and could the Quins catch Warrie cold? Probably not.....

toomevara wrote: »
    Yeah, possibly...maybe the Catalans might put one over Wakey (sorry Wakeytyke,I know heresy!;)) and could the Quins catch Warrie cold? Probably not.....

If the result was based on end-of-season form, then Les Cats would go into the game as favourites.

I think, though, that there are a number of factors that swings the balance in Wakey's favour. Catalan's late surge had a lot to do with Bird starting to dictate operations, his departure will require some adaptation. Last season Wakey were beaten in the forwards, the addition of Tronc, Morrison and Newton should reverse this. The fact that Wakey have already had a game against Quins, plus pre-season games against Leeds and Wigan should be an advantage. Home advantage on a cold, wintery Yorkshire day should also count in Wakey's favour.

After saying all that the Dragons will probably run out easy winners:o

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Looking forward to seeing Dallas Johnson in SL - I'm not expecting much from him until May though as these Aussies don't enjoy the north's winter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Headingley is crawling with Cas fans and the atmosphere looks great... They always bring a decent crowd and it seems to be even bigger because it's a season opener.

PS...full list of games on the go, gonna be some big movers on sport guru

Oh dear, how poor are the Bulls:eek: To think I thought Bulls would win this one:(

Does though confirm my opinion of McNamara as a coach:rolleyes: Can turn a silk purse into a pig's ear.

Great result for Cas....didn't see the game, typical, the one night I cant go and Leeds lose...desperately need my mojo obviously;). Will have to wait till I catch the highlights/read a decent match report before the post mortem begins..

As for Bradford, you can see there's a good team struggling to get out in there somewhere. Terribly error strewn and looked short on ideas when faced with that Huddersfield brick wall. Huddersfield look like a well drilled outfit and will be difficult opposition for any team, whether they can take the next step up remains to be seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What a horrible start to the season.

So so many stupid errors. Doesn't fill me with any confidence for the season. I think there are too many mediocre players in the team. I think theres far too much hype over Halley (lad was in the year below me at school and was always pretty small) and our centres and wingers are just not up to it imo.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    What a horrible start to the season.

So so many stupid errors. Doesn't fill me with any confidence for the season. I think there are too many mediocre players in the team. I think theres far too much hype over Halley (lad was in the year below me at school and was always pretty small) and our centres and wingers are just not up to it imo.

Don't know larkin...there were some truly awful passages of play from the Bulls and there were times in the first where they didn't look like a SL team in terms of skill, having said that I saw enough to make me think that all is not yet lost...I thought Orford and Kearney linked well at times, and L'Estrange had a good game at Hooker. Sheriffe was good and Menzies dogged and dependable as ever. I also wouldn't fault the Bulls for effort and commitment to the cause. It would have been dead easy to throw in the towel but they stayed committed....

Also a lot of their handling errors resulted from overly ambitious plays and trying to make the offload where none was on...hearts in the right place, I'd hang fire for a few games before rolling out the Guillotine!!!;)

• Advertisement

The finger has to be firmly pointed at McNamara.

OK the season has only just started and the team has to be given time to gel together but for most of the game the players all seemed to be singing from different hymn sheets.

The Lunt try, from acting half-back, is a prime example of the team all at sixes-and-sevens.

The Giants, despite missing 4 first-teamers, were superbly organised and far superior in all facets of the game (apart from discipline - Gilmour:eek:)

Toom, wtf? I'm looking forward to some highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

As the great man Brian Mcdermott said, like some kind of Rugby League Nostradamus, "across the board, the competition is going to be under-cooked."

Fingers crossed for a wide open season, congrats to Cas, and hoping for a surprise result against Warrington. :pac::pac::pac:

Toom, wtf? I'm looking forward to some highlights.

The post mortem, after talking to a few at the game, is that Cas were thoroughly good value for the win, after a first half just shaded by Leeds. Cas dominated the final quarter completely and scored some lovely tries. leeds appeared off the pace...discipline was an issue as were handling errors...

St. Helens against Hull looks like its doubtful to go ahead. Very foggy, Kick - off put back to 6pm to give it a chance, but dubious the fog is going to lift enough. Having seen pitch at Crusaders and Leeds and conditions in St. Helens all I can say is "Summer game my hole"

6pm: So they are going to play, amazed to say the least. Think the punters either end will have trouble seeing the halfway line let alone the other end of the pitch.:eek:

It may be hard to see but it's a ****ing lot easier to watch than that crap that was on in Croke Park earlier.

It's a bit of a farce and the weather could be crucial factor on who comes out on top.

What a terrific performance from Hull:D

Is this the start of the best SL season ever? It certainly augurs well. Can't wait to see what surprises the Sunday matches throw up:p

It may be hard to see but it's a ****ing lot easier to watch than that crap that was on in Croke Park earlier.

How is it that RL plays second fiddle to that stuff in Ireland...jesus, I mean they were charging 80 euros to watch that crap!!

And Wakey, completely agree looks like this seasons going to be massively competitive. great stuff from FC...cannot wait for this seasons Hull derby! Seconds out.....!!!

Ignoring the other posts, just watching the rest of the Saints-Hull match now and is it just me or did Lauaki basically punch Pryce in the build up to the second try? :pac:

• Advertisement

Ignoring the other posts, just watching the rest of the Saints-Hull match now and is it just me or did Lauaki basically punch Pryce in the build up to the second try? :pac:

Don't know, cant see through the fog! Should that game have gone ahead? If the sky cameras weren't there would they have called it off? Some questions to be answered around that I reckon. How good was Luaki? Barnstorming performance.

Actually my first first impression was just that! but on subsequent viewings it appeared (through the fog) to be a legimate hand-off (albeit with his forearm :rolleyes:).

Always thought that Pryce was a poor tackler and in truth he got what he deserved from Lauaki

WakeyTyke wrote: »

Always thought that Pryce was a poor tackler and in truth he got what he deserved from Lauaki

+1. no appetite for it at all.

toomevara wrote: »
    Don't know, cant see through the fog! Should that game have gone ahead? If the sky cameras weren't there would they have called it off? Some questions to be answered around that I reckon. How good was Luaki? Barnstorming performance.
    I think it was fine for the game to go ahead tbh. It's never as bad as the cameras make it look. Also if Sky weren't there I'd say it would've been less likely to be cancelled, the cameras were the only reason they would've called it off. IMO anyway. :)

Well no surprises in the Sunday fixtures, apart from the scores (sorry Doofs:(). Wires have certainly started at a gallop, looks like this season they may finally live up to their pre-season expectations.

Nice to see Wakey (briefly) taking top spot:D. Should be a cracking game with Leeds next week.

Jesus Doofer, what happened? Sounds like a complete capitulation. Far play to Warrie, pick of Round 1....

Congrats WakeyTyke, terrific start for Trinity's season, hopefully they can be there or there abouts at the end.

On a sadder, much sadder note!!!! We were without Ward, Jones-Bishop, Purdham, Dorn, Temata (he looks like a rasta (well, used to) but he don't do drugs as the song goes), Jon Wells and McCarthy-Scarsbrook. Couple of Londoners from the academy on the bench. Not good.

Chad Randall got himself in the sin bin in the first half, so I think it all went swimmingly. My brother travelled up for it, not his greatest decision. Did say Warrington were very good and things will get better, so, all things crossed he is right.

:( Anyway, just got off the phone to the RFL, they have agreed to cancel this seasons league on compassionate grounds. Mental cruelty has been outlawed in the Western world. :(

Already getting excited by the prospect of some cracking matches in Round 2:D, especially Hull v Huddersfield, Wigan v Hull KR and Bradford v St Helens.

It is going to give some good indications of who are going to be serious Top 4 contenders.

Advertisement