Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh God Please Help

Options
  • 04-02-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

I think Im going to go off my head.

We have a 13 month old baby girl who is just about walking on her own (still have to hang onto her though) as this new found freedom and indepance was discovered by her she has become a little demon.

She screams and shouts and cries if she doesnt get her own way. She will scream and shout if she cant get her hands on something she "really" wants eg the remote control. She smacks and hits our faces. She will throw herself on the ground and cry and shout out of fustration. Its unbearable and so high pitched it leaves our ears ringing.
    She doesnt seem happy no matter what we do.

This alone is not my only worry...we are going to New York in 3 weeks and how we are going to get through a 7 hour flight with her is making me panic and scared. No toy or book holds her attention long enough, nor does a dvd entertain her for too long. People are going to hate us on the plane, plus Im starting to dread our trip already.

What can I do? I need some advice and help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say she's picking up on your obvious anxiety and playing up on it, which is probably contributing to her tantrums.

When she goes off on one, try and keep your cool and speak to her directly. Get down to her level and talk to her in an unraised voice to reassure her that you know she's upset but she can't continue to do xyz or she can't have abc. Don't over play it though, if she continues to 'fit' play it down and walk away. If she's not getting extra attention for it she may cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Have a look at the "Normal Behaviour" thread on this Parenting forum which is similar to this.

Advertisement