Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback thread II

• 04-02-2010 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'm opening this up instead of the other thread in the hope that we can avoid resurrecting the more heated topics which I feel we've dealt with and put to bed so to speak.

In my opinion the changes made have been small but largely positive, ie a liberal view to clubs/members registering to advertise clubs & events once they're in the interest of the members here.

The photographic thread is a stickie now, and although contribution to it is slow enough I've had a lot of positive feed back from members here.

Is there any outstanding issue's you guys would like addressed or any recommendations as to how we can improve the forum further?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

get Khannie made into a god, hes a super guy and a great moderator :)

so glad I got in first to do this

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DTB

Looks like yis have got rid of him,he normally post 100+ times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DTB wrote: »

He's busy breast feeding :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

DTB wrote: »

Yeah, the baba's killing my real life. The jump in time consumption from 2 to 3 kids is UNREAL.

Also...I fixed your post there Paddy.

I'm happy with the way things turned out after the last thread myself. I was a bit concerned about the advertising thing but the liberal line is what I wanted, so happy this end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Suggestion: Less feedback threads. The only way to rule the internet is with an iron fist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Suggestion: Less feedback threads. The only way to rule the internet is with an iron fist.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

If we could make people post somehow instead of just browsing it would be great

You put up a thread it has 100 views and no comments. I find that strange.

Not sure why this happens. I think people are afraid to speak their mind at times. I know I sometimes have to reword my comments to make them more user friendly bu at least contribute in most part.

So basically start typing u feckers you know who you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Have a results sticky, people like to see their name up there on the net, a magazine only covers whats happened that month etc., a national governing board just the results for a single sport, Boards would be in a position to have a permanent record of all Irish martial arts results, it probably does but in a scattered fashion. It could be very interesting in the long term, and a way to broaden the boards appeal instantly.

If boards feels so inclined I'll accept a percentage for that one!

Have a results sticky, people like to see their name up there on the net, a magazine only covers whats happened that month etc., a national governing board just the results for a single sport, Boards would be in a position to have a permanent record of all Irish martial arts results, it probably does but in a scattered fashion. It could be very interesting in the long term, and a way to broaden the boards appeal instantly.

If boards feels so inclined I'll accept a percentage for that one!

Thats an excellent idea, and one which can go up almost immediately, how would you (or anyone else) format it?.

Just bumping this one along for input on that suggestion by Niall re. a Results thread.

Personally I think its a runner, any opinions?.

[279 view's with 9 replies so far :( ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Ah shi=te, although I think this is an excellent idea, I just KNOW its more work for the coaches/instructors....well not for the ones who can SUCESSFULLY delegate:o

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Ah shi=te, although I think this is an excellent idea, I just KNOW its more work for the coaches/instructors....well not for the ones who can SUCESSFULLY delegate:o

Well it could record individual results from fighters & from all styles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Could we have a sticky thread where people post reports on their respective MA competitions.

No feedback/chat/opinion on that thread just comp reports/results.

If folks want to discuss individual comps, competitors or how they were run - we can open threads up for that separately.

My $0.02 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

e.g. format:
    Sanshou– ICBA East Coast Open 2010:
    Men:
    +90kg:
    1. Mr. X
    2. Mr. Y
    3. Mr. z
    -90kg:
    -85kg:
    Etc....

No Chat (no bumping), No Comment (no bulls#*t), No Reviews (no sore losers / agendas), just pure results on Irish Competitions.
    i.e. a who’s who of Irish Martial Arts.
    What will be really interesting will be in 10-25-100 years with people looking back, it will of course mean that all us older retired fighters have just become “pre-historic” dinosaurs, or maybe “mythic” or “legend” is a better term???

I'm heading out the door in a few, but I'll get that done up this evening guys.

Excellent idea, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

it will of course mean that all us older retired fighters have just become “pre-historic” dinosaurs, or maybe “mythic” or “legend” is a better term???

:( thanks a million Niall, thats just made me feel a lot better as I already feel like a dinosaur!!

I think it would be a good idea if results of IRISH fighters/compeditors abroad could also be included in it.

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    :( thanks a million Niall, thats just made me feel a lot better as I already feel like a dinosaur!!

I think it would be a good idea if results of IRISH fighters/compeditors abroad could also be included in it.

Its all inclusive Dave, the thread is a sticky. Its not cast in stone so if you've anymore siggestions for it fire away.

Hopefully we can get people posting now!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

How about a sticky or megathread for newbies to martial arts? I'm new to kickboxing and I'm curious about a few others. I often have basic questions that I don't feel are worth starting a thread over, or taking other threads off topic.
    I read these boards on a regular basis, but I have nothing to contribute. My only contribution would be the occasional random question. I'm sure there are more like me??

#15 wrote: »
    How about a sticky or megathread for newbies to martial arts? I'm new to kickboxing and I'm curious about a few others. I often have basic questions that I don't feel are worth starting a thread over, or taking other threads off topic.
    I read these boards on a regular basis, but I have nothing to contribute. My only contribution would be the occasional random question. I'm sure there are more like me??

Its a good suggestion, only problem is that too many stickies make the page look untidy.

Don't be shy about starting a newbies FAQ thread yourself and if it gather's pace it'll either stay current or if there's a real need it could then be made a stickie.

Don't feel as a beginner that you might ask stupid questions, you won't - but you might get stupid answer's from people who should know better, but for reason's of their own they choose instead to be smart arse's. But the Mods know how they are, they're tiny in their minority so don't let them detract from your enjoyment of the forum please, I suspect thats exactly their motives.

Two points. 1) Theres already too many stickies. 2) Stickies actually make a topic less visable as people get used to ignoring them.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Two points. 1) Theres already too many stickies. 2) Stickies actually make a topic less visable as people get used to ignoring them.

Thanks for that.

All the stickies are under almost constant review by the moderators, as are people's opinion.

[edit]

Oh, I should add that I agree with you to an extent. Except for the rules thread the rest of under review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Yeah I never look at the stickies. I suppose its hard for people who are new to martial arts to comment sometimes becuase they feel they will be shouted down by more experienced people

Yeah I never look at the stickies. I suppose its hard for people who are new to martial arts to comment sometimes becuase they feel they will be shouted down by more experienced people

You should look at them, the photographic thread is proving very popular and will stay stuck for sure.

Apart from the rules stickie none are very important.

Stickies are handy as a reference, their not there because a moderator feels they're more important than other discussions in the forum.

I suppose its hard for people who are new to martial arts to comment sometimes becuase they feel they will be shouted down by more experienced people

Take almost any opinion on martial arts and people will have an equally valid but completely contradictory view point. Same with body building or anything else where there are multiple ways to achieve the same aim.

The problem is when eqos arise and people take difference in opinion as a slap in the face.

This video sums up the ego enchanced machismo which can be encountered.

Advertisement