Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injury from playing guitar

• 04-02-2010 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I was just wondering if this is a common thing or is it just me?

On average I play a fair bit of guitar. Anywhere from 1 or 2 or 3 hours a day & possibly more on weekends. However lately i find my back is giving me grief. To the point where some day's i can't sit playing for long periods of time. I simply have to move around for a while or just stop.
    I find the discomfort is in my upper back - rougly between my shoulder blades.

I've checked my guitar posture and i find it's pretty standard.
    I find that it helps if i'm sitting in a chair with a back on it.

Any other guitarists / painist etc. have a similiar problems?
    Any suggestions as to ways to overcome this? (other than simply not playing)

I will get a few session's of physio.
    Also ill be starting a pilates class in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Your body, especially your shoulder and back areas are obviously very tensed up when you play, without you noticing it at the time. Be aware of this and try to relax the body. Try warming up, and down, when you have a practice session. Some of these yoga exercises (link below) would be worth a try IMO. Another way to relax the body is to inhale and exhale deeply and slowly. Do this for about two or three minutes before your session. Also, when ever possible, try to breathe regularly and deeply when you play.

Hope this helps. :) If you wish, you could check out yoga for the back also, on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yoga+shoulder+exercises&search_type=&aq=f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 KD78

Thanks for that Rigsby.

Im willing to try anything(...within reason :)) - if it works.

At the moment it's killing me not being able to play as much as i want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Its against the forum rules to seek specific medical advice so if you've back trouble i'd suggest seeing your doctor or chiropractor or whoever. Maybe they can take a look at your posture and give you a few pointers etc.

Of course if you're just asking people what kind of posture they normally use for playing (without the medical connotations) it should be grand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭odonopenmic

I'm a fiddle player and since I was a kid I've always got what your describing after playing. This is a strange tip, can't remember where I heard it first, but it's always worked for me.

Massage works best but is rarely practical for me. So, for a very alternative remedy!

Lie down on the ground and place a tennis ball/balls under the most sore spot/spots - it'll be different for everyone but I usually use one for each side of my spine. This puts pressure on the muscle as your body weight will be pressing the ball inward (it can feel sore). After a few moments, the pain starts to dissipate then just get up. Should be sorted. Don't roll on them, no need to move. If it's not working, it could be cos the ball is slightly out of position.

Anyway, it's a strange one and I'm no physio but, like I said always works for me. Good luck - don't envy that pain! :o

KD78 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Rigsby.

Im willing to try anything(...within reason :)) - if it works.

At the moment it's killing me not being able to play as much as i want.

You are welcome :) I would however, agree with Voodu Child in seeking medical help if the problem persists. People here can only give suggestions/opinions, which is no substitute for professional advice.

• Advertisement

I suppose i was more wondering if other musicians had similar type problems.

I will be heading for physio early next week.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I get the same thing if I am sitting on a stool instead of a chair. It usually takes me about three weeks to get back to 'normal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

I play a session on sundays. we play for about 5 hours and I have noticed that I tend to play with guitar over left leg leaning into it. I have tried other positions and none suit my left hand.

I try to leave the strap on while sitting and lean backwards as if sitting normally, but every so often I find myself back in that position. My back is starting to hurt.

Also I find I have to remember to breathe while practising. I seem to go into a trance with shallow breaths.

I play a session on sundays. we play for about 5 hours and I have noticed that I tend to play with guitar over left leg leaning into it. I have tried other positions and none suit my left hand.

I try to leave the strap on while sitting and lean backwards as if sitting normally, but every so often I find myself back in that position. My back is starting to hurt.

Also I find I have to remember to breathe while practising. I seem to go into a trance with shallow breaths.

Do you sit on a stool or a chair with a back on it ? The latter might help, if you are not already using it. Some kind of lower back support, like a rolled up towel might help, if put against the back of the chair. Also, alternating sitting and standing might be an option.

I am trying to sit back into the chair now. I've consciously tried correcting my posture, Also i'm varying between standing and sitting. This is helping alot.

• Advertisement

For anybody with a similar problem to me, i've finally found a solution.It's called a Dynarette.It's a guitar support cushion which is designed to be used for classical guitar. But can be used for regular guitar playing also.Since getting it i no longer have any problems and playing guitar has never felt so comfortable. Here you can see an example of how it's used:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhcJf2AOoA8Cheers

Advertisement