Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Graveyards

• 04-02-2010 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I know this seems like an unlikely topic for here, but does anyone else love graveyards? (not when you are attending a funeral)
    But if you are out going for a walk. I love them, they are so serene and peaceful. And the old ones are picturesque. Especially Glendalough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I used to love them when I was 16, cos they were a great place for a bit of illegal drinking!:D:o

Great places for horsing around in (being very disrespectful to the dead here) when younger and scaring the living bejaysus out of your mates by making noises from behind headstones.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure... Havent been in one in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I have to say I do... and I love looking at the names on the gravestones and seeing how old they are, like if any of them are 17--.. Drumcliffe in Clare is a cool old one. Though I do get very edgy in them as well because, well, there are dead people there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's something I've actually wondered about, at what age does a grave go from being a sacred place where respect should be shown to being acceptable as an archaeological dig site?

I mean how long do I have to be in the ground before I can be classified as an artefact for study and suitable to be dug up and examined? (I'll probably be cremated, after donating my organs. Take that Archaeologists of the future! I leave you nothing :pac:)

I personally love old graveyards though. Especially the ones over grown and covered in moss.

The ruins and grave yards at Kilmacduagh Monastery in the Burren are a particular favourite.

There's nothing better than lying in a graveyard on a Sunny day and looking up at a round tower. The movement of the clouds over the tower give this odd optical illusion like it is moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

There's a lovely one near my brothers house in Spain that I always like to spend an evening wandering around in as the sun sets any time I'm over there.

1040608754_3fa31610c6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

L31mr0d wrote: »
    It's something I've actually wondered about, at what age does a grave go from being a sacred place where respect should be shown to being acceptable as an archaeological dig site?

I'd say when the living relatives have all long gone and the graveyard is no longer seen as 'active' (not in the zombie sense ;))

I don't think archaelogists dig where there are headstones though.

What's the oldest head stone you have seen? Mine would be from the 18th Century (that I could read)
    Although there are probably older in Howth, in the one behind the Abbey Tavern. Shame that many have eroded.

The 18th Century ones all seem to have the same font, sort of italic.

• Advertisement

I must admit I've always been taken aback at the treatment of the headstones that were in St. Marys Graveyard at the back of Jervis Street Shopping centre.

Apparently quiet and peaceful green areas aren't good enough... it's all got to be granite slabs these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

One place in London that really sticks out for me is Abney Park Cemetery in Stoke Newington. It's quiet and peaceful, secluded from the main roads, full of tall trees and thick undergrowth and most of the graves date from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Bramwell Booth, who founded the Salvation Army, and many of his family are buried here. I sometimes come here and rest for a while on hot sunny days and cool off before I whizz off on my bike.

I must admit I've always been taken aback at the treatment of the headstones that were in St. Marys Graveyard at the back of Jervis Street Shopping centre.

Apparently quiet and peaceful green areas aren't good enough... it's all got to be granite slabs these days.

What happend to the headstones there?

Just pushed them up to the end of the park against the wall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catmacbride/1348382032/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

WindSock wrote: »
    What's the oldest head stone you have seen? Mine would be from the 18th Century (that I could read)
    Although there are probably older in Howth, in the one behind the Abbey Tavern. Shame that many have eroded.

The 18th Century ones all seem to have the same font, sort of italic.

The oldest headstones I,ve come across are at Waltham Abbey. They date from the late 17th century. It,s also the final resting place of King Harold, who died in the Battle of Hastings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I used to work in the Ancient burial grounds for the old Dublin County Council, in the summer it was great to go to these out of the way sites to cut the grass and tidy up for a few days with nobody watching over you and no traffic noise. There are some fantastic sites to explore around Dublin, there is actually a hidden Burial ground with Round tower remains in Rathmichael South Co. Dublin, to name but one

21/25

St. Marnock's in Portmarnock is a nice one closer to home.

http://www.portmarnockwaves.com/PORTMARNOCK/st.marnock.html

It's in a bit of a state, but ownership of the land appears to be unclear which has held up attempts to sort the place out over the years.

Where in Portmarnock is that?

I like this place here on the Malahide Rd:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Doulagh's_Church

Lovely church. It's the oldest stone roof church in Ireland that is still in use, according to Wiki.

341BF7A13C7E41D482FB065D3414D2CD-500.jpg

The well is cool too.

WindSock wrote: »
    Where in Portmarnock is that?

It's right on top of the golf club. In fact I think the golf club even offered to fix the place up, but the issue of ownership of the place came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

The one on the Rathbale road is lovely-surprisingly quiet and serene giving the surroundings and as it's attop a hill, there's a nice view of Swords Village when the weather's clear. Good place to sit and read during the summer though it's a little too small to really explore.

While we're on the subject, has anyone done the tou of Glasnevin Cemetary?
    I was only in it once (for my grandad's funeral about 3 years ago) but from what I gather, it's a great place to get lost in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I really love them too, Glendalough Monastery is gorgeous and I love looking at all the old graves, got that from my mam who's the same! They're so peaceful..

Advertisement