Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooler for i5

Options
  • 04-02-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me out. Need a good cooler for an i5. Planning on overclocking to around 3.8ghz maybe more, my first attempt so going to see how it goes.

The PC will be arriving soon, the case will be an antec 300. Wasn't sure if the likes of the Prolimatech Megahalem will fit in it? heard its a bit of a beast.

Just need something that will keep her cool! Willing to spend probably around £40 sterling.. could push more if needed.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

This might fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

Noctua have some excellent coolers and Komplett stock a lot of them. Have a look to see what suits.
    I run the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler but its big, real big - fills an antec 1200 case to within an inch of the side panel

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Dixy wrote: »
    Noctua have some excellent coolers and Komplett stock a lot of them. Have a look to see what suits.
    I run the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler but its big, real big - fills an antec 1200 case to within an inch of the side panel

Is it quiet? What sort of temps are you getting on max load?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

same as the true 120 i have a true 120 kept me e8400 very very low temps gona put it on an i5 this weekend just waiting on a 1156 bracket would defo recomend it ow and it fits perfect in my antec 300 no probs
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/mux-120/product_cpu_cooler_mux-120.html

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Cheers for the insight all. Going for the mux 120 or megahelm just going to check out some stats on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No question....Titan Fenrir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

If your going to spend 60euro on a top end air cooler i would reccomend thinking about the Corsair H-50 watercooler. Its pretty much silent, and will knock quite a few degress off compared to the top end air coolers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

+1 for the H50. Personally I'd go for the Megahalems or the other one (EX14?) before the Fenrir - like all Titan coolers its huge, overpriced and noisy as hell.

But if you can find one out in the wild there's no beating the Mugen 2 rev2 for sheer value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

+1 for the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Solitaire wrote: »
    +1 for the H50. Personally I'd go for the Megahalems or the other one (EX14?) before the Fenrir - like all Titan coolers its huge, overpriced and noisy as hell.

But if you can find one out in the wild there's no beating the Mugen 2 rev2 for sheer value :D

For what it's worth, the Megahalems and IFX-14 seem to have found their match in the (quieter) Noctua NH-D14. Although it's freakin massive, anyone looking for the best of the best should consider it.

All Noctua coolers come with really high quality thermal paste and fans to boot, so they are actually better value than you might think at first glance. They are well worth considering for anyone looking for a high end cooler. Apparently they spawned from a University research dept. or something like that, they tend to be very high quality stuff anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

For what it's worth, the Megahalems and IFX-14 seem to have found their match in the (quieter) Noctua NH-D14. Although it's freakin massive, anyone looking for the best of the best should consider it.

Ick. Knew I'd forgotten one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Solitaire wrote: »

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/12/11/titan-fenrir-cpu-cooler-xmas-edition-review/3

Every top end air cooler is big and exspensive...the key point is do they WORK!!!

And from what I can see from the following review, the H50 is really no better at cooling then the top end air coolers plus the fact you would really have to get TWO HIGH END FANS (Push Pull) to really get the best from it....only adding to the cost....and if you look in the chart the Titan Fenrir actually outperforms the H50 and the Noctura coolers..... I know that for every good review there are bad reviews but its just my 2 cents.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/6/

I dont think alot of peeps are up to speed on just how good the new Titan Fenrir is, its a top notch cooler and can be set to low fan speed and still perfroms very well. You get what you pay for TBH. Not everybody wants an watercooled option for many reasons.

I do like the space saving that the H50 provides and the near silent operation is also a plus....but is it worth the €80 for the unit and prolly another €30 for 2 good fans?

Advertisement