Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Callan Windfarm Project

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry Jim, that just brings to the search page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 hairless

So what is the problem with the windfarm? it looks pretty god to me...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

kodute wrote: »

That 1 was refused 10 years ago, they resubmitted recently enough I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

This is the farm that is in for planning at the moment.

It's the way of the future but no doubt will be opposed by some busy body types
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0528/breaking22.htm

http://www.clareherald.com/2009/05/major-community-based-wind-farm-project.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    This is the farm that is in for planning at the moment.

It's the way of the future but no doubt will be opposed by some busy body types
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0528/breaking22.htm

http://www.clareherald.com/2009/05/major-community-based-wind-farm-project.html

Would your "busy body types" happen to be people who may stand to loose value on their properties by any chance?

Jim Martin wrote: »

You might want to try that 1 again Jim :D

No. the guy who lives in Limerick saying it takes away from the beauty of the west clare landscape. Those who feel that their homes are being adversely affected are not included in tha tag. Of course, they have very right to voice their opposition.

Clareman wrote: »
    You might want to try that 1 again Jim :D

The link worked soon after I inserted it but for some reason it has now kicked out!

Will try again.

• Advertisement

The link worked soon after I inserted it but for some reason it has now kicked out!

Will try again.

Here it is again:

http://www.clarecoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=109&LASiteID=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I like them, we have a lot of them here in NE Scotland where I currently live. In general how much would you expect they will devalue local property's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ah yes, it used to be NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard), but appeals against planning permissions
    are now coming from all over the country, so it's now BANANA
    (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone)

Also, I once heard a guy say "I'm not a NIMBY, but I'm not having this thing build on top of me"

planning decision due on this in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Keggers Senior

Does anybody know of any government or planning website where I might find further information on this? I've been trying to find proper infromation on this for a while now haven't found any.

Does anybody know of any government or planning website where I might find further information on this? I've been trying to find proper infromation on this for a while now haven't found any.

The Clare Co.Co. (search planning applications) website has details under File No. 109.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Keggers Senior

The Clare Co.Co. (search planning applications) website has details under File No. 109.

Cheers. Appreciate the help.

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Read all the constraints put upon the developers by the Co. Co. before you make such a bland statement as "good news"!

oh...you are one of the objectors:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,749 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Was an EIS submitted for this project and where can a summary of it be viewed??

I'm also interested in the statement from the links above that this will create "up to 300 jobs" - Is this referring to the construction phase only since I can't see how it can generate employment once its up and running, based on my experience of similar windfarms in North Mayo. On a related matter, is any of the parts for the windturbines to be installed on Mount Callan actually made in Ireland or will they be bought in from abroad??

www.woodlandleague.org/communities/doolough/

I must say the above link suggests that alot of what the developers behind the wind project say about land use in the area as regards commercial forestry and wind energy appears to unscientific waffle:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ckc123

WolfIre - I would bet my (soon to be surrounded by industrial turbines) house that you aren't living in an arses roar of any of them!!

I'm increasingly dubious about the employment figures for this project. Bigger projects in Donegal didn't employ more than 100 people at their peak and once built theres SFA in the way of permanent employment.:(

PS: Does anyone know if Mt Callan has NHA or SAC status??

ckc123 wrote: »
    WolfIre - I would bet my (soon to be surrounded by industrial turbines) house that you aren't living in an arses roar of any of them!!

Surely there will be an appeal to ABP given the number of objections:confused:

Yes - part of the mountain is an NHA - the turbines will also cross a NAtional Scenic Route, and spill outside of the designated area into residential areas.

This is about failed developers looking for the next cash cow.....it is also worth a lot of money to a cash strapped county council...........they must all be delighed with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Yes - part of the mountain is an NHA - the turbines will also cross a NAtional Scenic Route, and spill outside of the designated area into residential areas.

This is about failed developers looking for the next cash cow.....it is also worth a lot of money to a cash strapped county council...........they must all be delighed with themselves.

I live in Ennis so this won't affect me either way but ckc123 can I ask why specifically you object to this project?
    Is it the visual impact or the noise or health & safety or what??

I suspect you are right - thats whats so depressing about this country, lessons are never learn't because it doesn't suit the Golden Circle.

PS: Don't forget everyones electricity bills are going up by 5% next month to subsidize this pseudo "green" inefficient power source.

Angel Fire,

These turbines are enormous, industrial installations. They are 125 metres tall, and come with associated service roads, pylons, electrical substations etc. There are known health risks from flicker, noise, etc. They have no place in residential areas.
    These developments are being advertised as 'community schemes' , which beggars belief. Only a few members of the community stand to benefit from this. The rest of the community will face a drop in the value of their homes, and loss the amenity of their homes.

As for the negative effects on natural habitats, scenery etc.....I could go on and on and on........:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If Mt Callan can be described as a 'residential area' than nowhere in the country is a suitable site for anything except more houses..

Probably the kind of thinking that led to the property bubble in the first place.

Do those who object to the wind turbines also object to the ugly commercial forestry that dominates the landscape in that area?

Do those who think a wind farm will 'reduce the value of their home' think that the dominant form of commercial activity (commercial forestry) has no effect on their property price?

I would like to propose that the people who are opposed to this project hold those opinions, not on the merits of this project, but on their ideological opposition to renewable energy and the 'green movement'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement