Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of block-built garage, 24' x 10'

Options
  • 04-02-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Can anyone here provide an estimate for construction of a 24' x 10' garage ? I can help with the labouring and the only stipulations are that it have two or three windows on one side and a non-flat roof. I don't care how the blocks are finished on the outside, I will make it look pretty at some stage later. No need for any electrical work either.

Was originally thinking of a timber garage like this for EUR3,000 from O'Briens in Galway. The concrete base will be extra of course.

http://www.obrientimberproducts.com/products.php?c=8

DSC00368_1.JPG

Thanks

Frank
    PS. I am located in Lucan, Co. Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

I don't really see you beating €3,000 once you'd added a finish to the outside, windows, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Oh no - I don't have my heart set on the wooden version, just want a comparison. If it's mad money, then I'll go for the O'Brien product.

The other thing is, I want to spend the time helping to build the garage, so as to learn about blockwork, roofing, etc. Can't do that with a kit from O'Briens :D

I'd suggest maybe doing site-built timber yourself. The roofing etc is all the same as if it were blockwork. Unless you are welding or otherwise have some elevated fire risk, I would recommend against masonry.

I'm a huge proponent of timber, having worked in architecture both in Ireland and the US. Frankly I see blockwork residential construction as an outmoded system that is only still in use due to a mentality that is resistant to change. In many places, such as north america or Germany, it has been completely superseded by timber frame at that scale... and even at larger scales. The assemblies in blockwork are thicker, they deal with moisture poorly, and they have a high embodied energy. Timber walls are thinner, lighter, breathe better, and are often stronger as well. Especially for houses, it is a more elegant and flexible construction type that is definitely the way of the future. Also, if you do it yourself, a 600mm stud spaced timber wall will go up in a couple of days rather than the slower pace of laying block.

... which goes nicely with my favourite instructable:

"How to build a garage from the ground up"

Still want to see what the cost of the masonry version is.

My other option is to work with a chippie to do the DIY version as above.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The chap is asking about the cost of BLOCK BUILT.

He allready knows aboyut a wooden garage cost.

paddy147 wrote: »
    The chap is asking about the cost of BLOCK BUILT.

He allready knows aboyut a wooden garage cost.

Thanks bud, I'm aware. It was a suggestion because he mentioned wanting to do DIY...... it was actually a productive discussion so thanks for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you were throwing this out to a contractor to build (block) then id expect you would pay in the region of €40 - €50 per sq. foot. But that would be cavity walls with insulation, attic insulated, couple of power points, slate/tiled roof etc. If you go down the direct labour/self build roof you would save an average of 20%.

It depends on the spec and the part of the country you are in as prices do vary immensely from county to county.

Just to add that you may find these posts helpful - here, here, here, here and here

Good posts muffler. One thing to keep in mind is that if its just storage, there is pretty much zero point in insulating the thing, regardless of construction type. Lash up some studs or some blocks, waterproof paint the outside (if block) or clad in grooved hardboard (if timber), and stick a roof on.

• Advertisement

Good posts muffler. One thing to keep in mind is that if its just storage, there is pretty much zero point in insulating the thing, regardless of construction type. Lash up some studs or some blocks, waterproof paint the outside (if block) or clad in grooved hardboard (if timber), and stick a roof on.
    Its just a matter of deciding now if there would ever be any possibility that the structure could at some time in the future be used as a games room, workshop, home office, bachelor pad :D etc and if there was a slight possibility then its better going with cavity walls, DPC, insulation etc just to future proof it.

For storage only now and in the future then the bare basics would be enough.

Thanks again, lads

At this point, I think I am going to go for the timber option - the building will really mainly be for storage and some light workshop use.

Cheers
    Frank

Are you going to order the above or DIY? I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I'm building a 5m by 4m shed/workshop/den at the moment, well it's an ongoing project with each stage done when I get the cash for it.
    The blocks are done to roof level and I should be putting the roof on next month, by which stage it will have cost me roughly 4k, excluding my labour.
    I have gained some savings in that I am building an extension at the same time, so there was always a full day's work for the guys to be doing plus I was ordering materials in large quantities.
    I used a builder I know from Lucan and the savings he made for me in ordering materials covered a lot of his wages, I also got the pvc door for free off a job I was doing so only have to pay for one window to close it up.

I would estimate your job including the insulated slab could be done for 8 to 9k including pvc door and window. This would be a much better job than the wooden shed you have pictured.

I know what you are saying about the block option, but I guess I just prefer the wood.

Whether to go DIY or pre-fab, I will make a decision soon :)

I would love to DIY it, especially per the URLs above. Since I am great with 90-degree angles but not much else, I would need help with the roof :rolleyes:(would want the 'high' trusses so as to have room to lift a car up by 60cm or 1m). Which I guess necessitates someone fabricating the roof trusses rather than me buying pre-constructed ones.

For the prefab'd wooden building, II am going to pop into Goodwins in Lucan, as O'Brien's mention them as possibly having a demo building on show. Once I see that, decision will be made.

I also need help with preparing the concrete base with either of the options above.

A good chop saw with a tilting blade and a rotating base will help you out with those angles. Just set the blade to the desired angle and cut away. I used to have one that had laser guides that showed you where on the board the edge of the cut was going to be, it really helped cut mistakes.

It'll be necessary anyway if you DIY with timber, since you'll be cutting a lot of things to length. I don't think they're too pricey.

Advertisement