Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sziget Festival

Options
  • 04-02-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has been to this festival in Hungary?

Lookin for reviews!

http://sziget.hu/fesztival/?language=en

The sunshine is temptin me!

Edit: Just did a search and found lots of info.

So Sziget (can any1 help me pronounce this?!) 2010, whens the line up announced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barbaramc

Hey,
    Its pronounced Zig-et.
    Its flipping amazing and usually has similar acts to Oxegen and EP - except its half the price and nice and hot!! Fabulous atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

hey,

im thinkin about heading to sziget this year too, line up is being announced in about 2 weeks. anyone been there before? tips?

I priced a 2 bed apartment, €500 for 5 days! unreal cheap. the festival itself looks a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

Group of us going to this too! Got the flights booked - Malev, Dublin-Budapest return, 130e.

What apartments have you booked for that cheap? I'd be looking to get a 3-5bed one I think

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

i actually cant rem the website, i didnt book anything, was just browsing to see what the cost to go would be. just google budapest apartments, it was a Hungarian site anyway.

them flights you got look good-€130 isn't bad at all!

waiting for the line up now :)

Hey, I was at the festival last year, got the tickets before april 30th and paid 170 for the week, camped on the island, which was a bit intense in the mornings as it was 35degC every day we were there and we pitched pretty much directly underneath the rising sun!
    Flights cost more from now on as we get closer to the date and the price of the festival ticket also goes up to 200 from may 1st, still a bargain though.

After last year I would highly, highly recommend shelling out for the VIP pass if you're gonna do the camping thing. Facilities on the island are pretty good regardless, only reason to leave the island would be to get away for a break from the food, though there is a massive choice of foods too.

There's a large medical centre right in the middle of the island and plenty of security around. When you arrive at the island there is a very long wait to get your wristbands, seriously, we were lucky getting there on Sunday when the wait was only about 2 hours(in 35deg heat). Once inside though there are info points and guides who can help you get organised/find your way.

There's also security deposit boxes on the island but these fill up for good on day 1 really so if you're there on sunday, do that first - I lost pretty much everything i owned over there but that's just me. There are charging points for phones but there's always a queue after day 2 - a way around this is to buy your charger from a stall, keep the receipt and ask them to charge your phone for you whenever you need it, if you buy from them they're more than happy to help you. If it's your own charger, wait in line like everyone else. (Chargers are <€10 btw)

I stayed in an apartment in town the week after to recuperate and would seriously recommend doing this too, hot showers, laundry, TV(yes TV, even if it was in Hungarian - it made me feel like the real world still existed!) and a bed after 8 nights camping was the best feeling in the world and then to top it off, it's the holy holidays in the city.

St Stephens Day is on the 20th when all the businesses close and everyone heads to the banks of the Danube or to Buda Palace to watch the biggest fireworks display I've ever seen. The Red Bull Air Race was taking place that week too with all kinds of arial display teams showing off their planes too. I'd assume something similar will take place this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭srmufc

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Amadeus.hu for city centre apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Is it possible to set up camp and get a good stop and then leave and stay a few nights in the city before going back to camp for last 3 or 4 days???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

haha cant believe someone compared the acts to oxegen and EP:D

muse............................ thats all

the rest of the line up is extrexly sucky

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Yeah it's a pity about the line-up.

Although I'm aware that in other ways, Sziget can in no way be compared to Oxegen - Crap line up or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

Icky Thump wrote: »
    haha cant believe someone compared the acts to oxegen and EP:D

muse............................ thats all

the rest of the line up is extrexly sucky

Depends on what you're into.

Music-wise, I like the line-up (Kasabian/Faithless/Gotan Project/Gorillaz/Specials/Easy All Stars/Buena Vista Social Club particularly, not that pushed about Muse), plus this is only the first batch of names they've announced. Look back at previous years on the wikipedia page and see who's played, some serious lineups there. Also, there'll be over 1000 performances in the 7 days, imagine the musical treasures you'll stumble across!

Outside of the lineup - only 140e a ticket, living in a Mediterranean climate in a foreign city for over a week, no knackers, no burning tents, cheap beer and food, unreal women, no rain, no mud, people who know how to have a good time and not kick the **** out of each other or send themselves home in an ambulance before the festival even starts 'cos they're so drunk, buses running on time that won't be overcrowded, taxis that won't overcharge, a properly organized festival...

After Oxegen 2005 and the ****e I saw going I vowed never to return. Just not worth the price or the hassle involved with it.

Been to Electric Picnic, Benicassim, Garden Festival, Rock Werchter since and now this. Much more bang for your buck (although EP is a rip-off this year, I won't be going to it - can't help but feel it's on the way out, Oxegen has just strangled it to death line-up wise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

themucaro wrote: »
    Depends on what you're into.

My brother got his tent slashed on the last night and robbed so there are knackers. I went last year and outside of the lineup I felt I had pretty much seen all there was to see by day 3 so if alot of the music isn't for you and you aren't in a situation to appreciate/mingle/get drunk with the attractive peoples you could end up slightly bored towards the end. Glastonbury, Roskilde, and pre 2009 Electric Picnic would get better overall scores than Sziget with lineups not taken into account. With lineups I'd put Werchter over Sziget too. A fun festival probably a lot more so if you are single but not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭markomongo

Toast wrote: »
    My brother got his tent slashed on the last night and robbed so there are knackers. I went last year and outside of the lineup I felt I had pretty much seen all there was to see by day 3 so if alot of the music isn't for you and you aren't in a situation to appreciate/mingle/get drunk with the attractive peoples you could end up slightly bored towards the end. Glastonbury, Roskilde, and pre 2009 Electric Picnic would get better overall scores than Sziget with lineups not taken into account. With lineups I'd put Werchter over Sziget too. A fun festival probably a lot more so if you are single but not the best.

Have to agree mate! Sziget is more costly than Roskilde and Roskilde is a better experience in my opinion. Glasto also!!! Sziget had restrictions on bringing water in from the city last year. More over-priced than Roskilde etc by far. Felt like more of a tourist trap than any other eu festivals i have been too. Check out sonar too in barcalona and Vantastival in Ireland this weekend!!!

Advertisement