Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used Car Dealers Dublin

• 04-02-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hey i am looking at changing the car and was wondering if anybody had used or could recommend any of these places? Or if people have any other recommendations that would be great, im based in south dublin so anywhere in dublin or wicklow ideally.

Newlands motor company in Clondalkin,
    The Spawell Motor Company,
    Godrive Ltd in Tallaght
    NRG Motors in Blanch and
    Beechlawn motors in Dundrum

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

Hey i am looking at changing the car and was wondering if anybody had used or could recommend any of these places? Or if people have any other recommendations that would be great, im based in south dublin so anywhere in dublin or wicklow ideally.

Godrive Ltd in Tallaght
    NRG Motors in Blanch and

Thanks.

ok but use caution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kolduke

yo!

In fairness, I'll say up front I used to work for them but Merlin Motor City (I'm now with a main dealer in Tipp) are a good bunch. Depends on money you want to spend of course. They've been there a long time and back up is very good if there is bother with a car (courtesy car if under warranty for instance). Before the recent market deflation there used to be the advertised 500 cars in stock, genuinely.
    In general though, take this as a rule of thumb - you might find a cheaper car, but will you find better? That's a key question so I recommend stickin to a SIMI reg'd dealer for a bit of comeback even if it does cost a little more. Too many small operators springing up - you get a warranty but what good if their doors are closed in six weeks or six mths?? Also a lot of ex Uk cars (written off) now coming in with flood damage from the UK so be wary of that. Ex UK cars are fine thru main dealer channels (paper work & history verified) but if in doubt pay n run your own check online via one of the many sites for peace of mind. We bring in UK cars but only from our dealers in UK. I can vet cars being traded in to us by Joe Public as potentially 'dodgy' imports by whether they appear on our dealer network system. If it appears, it's legit. if it doesn't it came in by some other means, private, or non franchised dealer and we'll price it accordingly. It might be an okay car but if we can't trace it won't be worth as much as it might ultimately cost us money.
    It's often said if something seems too good to be true it usually is. I'd say if something seems a bit iffy, it usually is so as someone else here said, proceed with caution and don't part with money easily based on word if it's a name you don't know or don't have an endorsement of.
    Other than that, don't buy a crap brand with crap reliability ratings n known gremlins..won't matter where you buy it then..so do some homework and have a look at some stuff like JD Power survey results or warrantydirect.co.uk and their reliability index.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

car car, your 4 identical posts have all been deleted. Do not sign up here just to post crap like that please. If you've any experience of a garage, then keep it absolutely factual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Newlands motor company in Clondalkin

Used these guys, got a car with a good price had NCT 6 months later and passed no problem (apart from me changing a rear bulb :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

We bought our current car, a 99 Merc e300td from First Choice Autos in Dun Laoghaire a few years ago.

This was a week or two before Christmas and it developed a gearbox problem (auto). Car was still driveable but reluctant to change gear when cold. THey had a look at it, but weren't able to do anything about it before Christmas.

So, they gave us a spare car to sit outside the house over Christmas in case the merc got worse, and as soon as the holiday was over, they got it sorted very quickly. Think it would have been about €2k of work, no issues with warranty, very good to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

I know so many people who have had bad experiences with a few of those dealers........my advice pay the small bit extra and go to a long standing main dealer.........
    Did u look at the main dealers in sandyford, alot of them have large used car centres now and retail all makes and models
    www.faichneyringwood.ie
    www.alokavanaghcars.ie
    www.fostermotorco.ie
    www.sandyfordmazda.ie

try looking up sandyford motor park for a list of dealers!
    Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gerardo01

A car dealer helps you in providing all the latest and quality car brands with new model options at lower rates. Car dealers are the perfect choice to solve out any used car related problems. Finding a fair and honest car dealership is as important as finding the right car. Online search can help you in getting car dealers near Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

o.....k.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gerardo01 wrote: »
    A car dealer helps you in providing all the latest and quality car brands with new model options at lower rates. Car dealers are the perfect choice to solve out any used car related problems. Finding a fair and honest car dealership is as important as finding the right car. Online search can help you in getting car dealers near Dublin.

LOL, where did you copy and paste that from, the SIMI website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Godrive Ltd in Tallaght
    NRG Motors in Blanch and

Thanks.
    Look for the right car at the right price, rather than trying to find a good dealership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I didn't find them great when trying to deal.

Nice at first but when you start to challenge them on price/condition or anything factual about the cars he became very gruff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I didn't find them great when trying to deal.

Nice at first but when you start to challenge them on price/condition or anything factual about the cars he became very gruff

We all get like that sometimes when ya's try an haggle;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Professionals don't.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Not so much about haggling but as I just started asking questions about the car. It was an attitude thing but maybe the guy was just having a bad day, who knows.

Just my experience others may have a better one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Let me refraise that then, you need to be like that with some customers;) alot of my customers are ould farmers and the likes and hard bargaining is what they do best, sometimes a bit of gruff is needed to make the sale:D

EDIT: Granted it obviously didnt work with john as he went away with a bad taste in his mouth but every customer is differant and some people need to be spoken at instead of to, its being able to read people the right way which obviously didnt happen with john

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulwex

Godrive Ltd in Tallaght
    NRG Motors in Blanch and

Thanks.
    Hi folks was wondering if anyone has had dealings with o brien motors in walkinstown thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 muggins77

yes but many years ago if thats the garage accross from A and D motor factors. i bought small car my first car the next day the suspension collapsed they would not fix it did not want to know fact. that was before the day of nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 muggins77

people need to be very careful of car dealer only use one you or friend have used before. last two bad experiances i had before. went out to look at 2012 ford focus it took two months to get the log book. then my son bought focus from dealer on northside he brought mechanic with him the car was said to be fine. very next morning on start up the engine management light came on . our mechanic put a machine on it to see the fault the convertor was blown. he said most likely the dealer turned off the light before we went to look at it. so buyer beware. we bought few years ago car hyundai tradjet from automatic from garage in ballymont near the red cow. there was problem with the auto box changing they said they would fix it but fogged us off for two months then when we went up they had gone vanished no buy from front door and bring a mechanic with you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement