Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replicas and Blank Firers

• 04-02-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Lads

Do I need a license to buy a replica/ blank firing pistol (single action colt)? Im a big Western fan.

I must be searching wrong on the forum because I cant find a recent answer to this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

You don't need a license for a replica, but I imagine a blank firer would be a different matter. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

From the way I read it a person does need permission for the blank firing weapon,There's a few old threads on the shooting forum about this,here's a link to a thread from there on the laws and regulations regarding firearms and also a link to the Justice website which is worth reading however I can't see anything relating to Blank firers on here(only had a quick look).If your in doubt contact your local firearms officer and he will be able to tell you there and then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672336

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You don't need anything for a replica, you need to get an authorisation for plugfires and depending on the type you might need a licence for a blank firer. It all depends on your local superintendant and whether he likes you or not. Could be easy going or he could treat you like a criminal. Expect the latter, hope for the former.

Then there's the problem of buying caps/blanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You do need a firearms licence for a blank firing gun/firearm. Even if it is a replica, if it can fire blanks you will require a licence.

A non-firing deactivated gun/firearm is classified as a "defective firearm" and will have to be certified as such. For these types you will need a written permission by your local Superintendent to hold it in your possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Guess I'll stick to buying a replica. Isnt the law mad for needing a license for a blank firer? After all they dont fire any projectiles :confused:

• Advertisement

Preusse wrote: »
    You do need a firearms licence for a blank firing gun/firearm. Even if it is a replica, if it can fire blanks you will require a licence.

Although you can still get a plugfire as they're just capguns with dummy cartridges. The problem would be buying the caps.
    They sound rubbish though, you really need a full blankfirer for reenactments and displays.
    Some of the British reenactors use rifles that have been bored out to .410 shotguns, you get a good bang out of these, but you have a single shot firearm.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Guess I'll stick to buying a replica. Isnt the law mad for needing a license for a blank firer? After all they dont fire any projectiles :confused:

A lot of blanks propel a wad which can be lethal at very close range, they also use a lot more powder than a cap gun which can give some nasty injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

kowloon wrote: »
    A lot of blanks propel a wad which can be lethal at very close range, they also use a lot more powder than a cap gun which can give some nasty injuries.

That's correct. And that is one of the reasons why they require a firearms licence.
    kowloon wrote: »
    Although you can still get a plugfire as they're just capguns with dummy cartridges. The problem would be buying the caps.
    They sound rubbish though, you really need a full blankfirer for reenactments and displays.
    Some of the British reenactors use rifles that have been bored out to .410 shotguns, you get a good bang out of these, but you have a single shot firearm.

Yes, the Irish reenactors I came across also use the .410 for that purpose as most of them could get a shotgun licence without problems.

Advertisement