Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good cover for bicycle that will be kept outside

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Ive recently moved, and no longer have place for my bike inside. I could leave it in the underground carpark but dont want to just yet. Im going to leave it on the balcony of the apartment.

As the balcony is subject to the elements, can someone recommend me a cover for the bike that will allow me to lock the bike to the railings, but keep it dry so it wont rust too quickly.

I could pick up a cheap one, but would rather get a proper recommend one first time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A Bike Cave looks like a good idea, I am considering one myself. I have used a cheap cover which was absolutely fine- until the windy spell we had recently, it is now all ripped up and useless.

I can give a review for the bike cave...

Disclaimer: I bought it for my bbq. After awhile, as the reviews on CRC mention, the zip split. Took it off at the end and managed to get it mostly back on (except for a section where it won't take).

First bad wind of winter and the bbq was on the ground, zip split open and the bike cave was halfway down the garden (it comes with weight bags which I put two bricks in each but it still catches the wind like a sail). At the moment I have three massive flat stone tile (type of thing for a patio) at the bottom of the bike cave and that seems to be keeping it in place. I didn't put any anchor on the wall to attach the bbq to which I'm sure would help secure it down a bit more though, nor did I peg it into the ground as it's on concrete at the moment.

I mentioned before that on no websites does it mention 'waterproof' but I went for it anyways since I needed something to house the bbq in.

So the positive: In terms of storage it's excellent. But the rest is mainly negative: The zip is a major weak point, and I can overlook it since I won't be using the bbq 'til the summer, but I would consider spending money fitting a heavy duty zip in place. Other thing which annoyed me about the zip was that with the size of it there isn't a second one to open it, so you've to undo it the entire time if you want to get in. And the other negatives mentioned above, I'd look into something a bit more stable and heavy duty.

So, while it suits my purposes, I have to say that for bikes unless you replace the zip, use very heavy blocks to weigh it down, and an anchor lock for the bikes, I don't think I would recommend it, and definitely not for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I have a Bike Cave too. Zip went on mine, and I emailed the company direct. They handled it very well- apparently they had a batch with bad zips from the manufacturer. They sent me a replacement no questions asked- it definitely has a stronger zip than the last one.

It ain't waterproof, mine has a big puddle in it currently, but the water doesn't drip in from the top, rather it seems to seep in at the bottom. Most of the time it's okay, but with the rain the past few days it's been growing. Ironically the last one with the dodgy zip seemed to keep the water out better.

With a few bikes and some tools, mine stays put pretty well. It is in the corner of a yard though, so can't really go anywhere.

For the price, it's okay. Keeps the bikes out of the worst of the weather. Longer term I'd like to get something more durable, and lockable, like the Trimetals store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

one for a motorbike would do the same job and they dont seem to blow away not that Ive looked at how they are fitted and stay in place or anything but would be worth a look in to to eliminate from further enquiries ;)

I had a motorbike cover over my bikes for quite a while. It keeps the worst of the weather off, but I noticed my cheap fixie had corrosion on some of the bolts after this period. The road bike was fine.

Update on the bike cave. Came out this morning to an even bigger puddle. There were big droplets forming on the inside of the tent and dripping down onto the bikes. Useless. The last one was definitely better than this, will email the suppliers today and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gallylayo

Are there any shops in Ireland where you can buy one of these, instead of going online.

Gallylayo wrote: »
    Are there any shops in Ireland where you can buy one of these, instead of going online.

Never seen them for sale here, and Google doesn't show any hits for Ireland. Why don't you want to buy online?

In follow up to my experience, the suppliers sent me another replacement, they've handled it very well. Will hopefully get to assemble it this weekend. The last one was pretty good at keeping out water, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gallylayo

Thanks for that! I'd phoned a few bike shops and was suprised they didnt have them, especially as they are selling loose covers for €15-€25.I just wanted to see one before buying. I have one adult bike and two kids bikes and want to be sure they'd fit. Prob a bit old fashioned but i dont mind having to go out and buy! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billy C

There's a shop which sells the Trimetals bike store in Ireland, it shows up when you search for it. Exactly the same as Sterling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd still have to recommend the one I have:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11336

It's only waterproof to a point, but even in heavy rain it'll stop your bike from getting completely drenched and rusting. I use the MTB version on my road bike, so it's a bit too big, but even on the MTB I found that a strong wind could pull it off the bike (and blow away into the neighbour's garden). A couple of binder clips later, pinning the cover to the spokes, and I've no trouble with it any more.

Motorbike covers come with holes to put a lock through, so this will prevent the cover from blowing away, but because they're so big, it'll be lifted off the bike by the wind, exposing it to the elements at exactly the worst time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I was looking at the "bike cave". It looks great but it's a bit too big for me, actually the width is fine, it's just way too tall for two bikes. Have you come across with something similar but smaller-shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I was looking at the "bike cave". It looks great but it's a bit too big for me, actually the width is fine, it's just way too tall for two bikes. Have you come across with something similar but smaller-shorter?

If you have basic woodworking skills or know someone who has, you could make a wooden box. 2x1 would make the frame, a sheet of 1/4 marine ply would sheet it. Two hinges for the door and some kind of catch. Rough estimate I would say less than 30 euros for the materials. A wooded structure wouldn't be so prone to internal condensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blackmambo

fguihen wrote: »
    Ive recently moved, and no longer have place for my bike inside. I could leave it in the underground carpark but dont want to just yet. Im going to leave it on the balcony of the apartment.

As the balcony is subject to the elements, can someone recommend me a cover for the bike that will allow me to lock the bike to the railings, but keep it dry so it wont rust too quickly.

I could pick up a cheap one, but would rather get a proper recommend one first time.

I'm in the extact same boat as yourself, exposed balcony and not safe enough to lock it underground. I ended up getting a BBQ cover from Lidl for 6euros, heavy plastic and fits a road bike perfectly, keeping it clean and dry. I have a long lock that wraps around the railings and up in under the cover. Works a treat and very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

Lambeth Council introduces 'bike box' storage for residents

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/lambeth-introduces-bike-box-storage-for-residents/012053

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Sorry, I know this thread is very old but thought it was probably better than starting a new one for the same purpose.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a bike cover for 2018? Would be for a racing bike

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There were some in Lidl recently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If its just a cover and not meant for anything other than water protection, I picked up a large BBQ cover with a drawstring that fits over nicely, waterproof etc. No protection from being knicked but sin

Thargor wrote: »
    There were some in Lidl recently.

I picked one up and have been using it for a few months and so far it has kept the bike nice and dry. It ha only been used for the summer months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CramCycle wrote: »
    If its just a cover and not meant for anything other than water protection, I picked up a large BBQ cover with a drawstring that fits over nicely, waterproof etc. No protection from being knicked but sin

My BBQ cover got very badly degraded by the sun this summer and has since disintegrated from the wind (its like paper now)
    How is yours faring out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GreeBo wrote: »
    My BBQ got very badly degraded by the sun this summer and has since disintegrated from the wind (its like paper now)
    How is your faring out?

Still in good condition, always used to buy the cheap BBQs that would last about a year or two in the salty rain of Wexford but this year a friend got us a good deal on a high end BBQ and it still looks brand new, the cover helps though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Still in good condition, always used to buy the cheap BBQs that would last about a year or two in the salty rain of Wexford but this year a friend got us a good deal on a high end BBQ and it still looks brand new, the cover helps though.

doh... that meant so say my BBQ COVER got badly degraded!:o

BBQ is limping along ok, have a huge plastic bag over it for the last while!

Advertisement