Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a 2nd hand house needing extensive work

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    Going to view a house which has not been lived in a couple of years. I have visited the house on my own and had a good look around the outside and in the windows. It appears we can get the house at a very reasonable price and it is in a great area. I have a number of queries. The shell of the house seems in good repair i.e roof and walls ect but the interior need total gutting and needs all new windows, wiring, plumbing plastering ect (friend a electrician and brother a plaster). The auctioneer had told me that underpinning and the renewal of the drains is also required but the price that we can buy the house would reflect all this work. I supopose my first question when we see the house and if it turns out we are interested - what should we next. We are mortgaged approved so, would I get and engineer down or a builder. Would a builder be capable of doing the underpinning as well as the interior. I suppose I am worried as I d'ont want to buy a lemon and would like to do it right fom the start
    Regards,
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Hire an engineer to assess the likely extent and costings for the structural works
    And an architect to advise on all else . Depending on where you are budget €1000-1500 m2 overall cost .

Advertisement