Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing fruit and veg

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a straight forward book (or site) on growing fruit and veg, I have a 50sq meter plot that I'm going to dig up in ridges and manure this month and Id like a good down to earth guide on getting things right. Hope to plant spuds salad veg, berry fruit, apple pear and plum trees, I'd also like to get a 100 or so cuttings for hedging.

thanks,
    Will

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Try garden.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 will_white

Thanks Mp22 and Lucy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

'Grow your own vegetables' by Joy Larkcom is excellent if its a book you want

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

Have a look at www.gardenplansireland.com the forums section has lots of stickys about growing all the veg you mentioned and the forum is very useful and active in the allotments and vegetables section. www.allotments4all.co.uk is also a very useful forum, based in the UK but the advice given should apply here too.

The A to Z of allotment vegetables, by caroline foley is a good read as is the vegetable and herb expert book.

sharon
    www.plot103.blogspot.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

We buy some monthly magazines too Kitchen Garden and Grow your Own - they're really useful and full of info month by month. Also check out Grow It Yourself www.giyireland.com to see if there is a group in your area. We've just joined one and have found it really helpful as novice growers, there are some people invovled who have been growing for 30 years. They do classes and lectures on composting etc and seed swaps - great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BlackVillage

The Vegetable and Herb Expert by D.G. Hessayon is one of the bestselling books and the subject and is a very good starting point for a novice grower.

Advertisement