Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling in the Noughties: 2000

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

May as well start at the beginning

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+millenium+bug:+don't+let+it+bite+you.-a021127380

This is an article on the 'impending' threat of the millenium bug

Edit - Apologies, I now see this should be below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The little half smirk at the end of the show, cheeky cow! :)

WeakestLink460.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Joliegood wrote: »
    U2 play on the top of the Clarence. I remember the look on the tourist's faces aboard an open-top bus. Was class.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_f2A0whTF7Xc/R6uwo_yEO2I/AAAAAAAABkI/NTErlL2IRpw/u2-totp-clarence-01.jpg

I remember I bunked off college to go in, I was fairly disappointed now I have to say :( Thought it'd be like The Beatles

Who Wants to be a Millionaire presented by Gay Byrne airs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire%3F_(Irish_game_show

wilson.jpg

obrothercd.jpg

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lol @ the ads. G G G G G Galway. Great stuff. And cars priced in punts!!:D

:D Didn't think I would see that ad again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Who are you,who who,who who? CSI airs for the first time.

csi_1024.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I remember queuing up to buy this:
    ps2-photo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Zombie nation, sandstorm and freestyler in the charts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

attachment.php?attachmentid=20851&stc=1&d=1254156778

And getting caught riding in the car by the garda... I put me trousers on back to front!!

• Advertisement

What's the pic of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

WindSock wrote: »
    What's the pic of?

the millenium candle, they were givin out in 99 for the year 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

dublin-irl105.jpg

The delayed spire and o'connell street redevelopment.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Bill Clinton becomes the first sitting U.S. President to visit Vietnam.
    Millennium Dome closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

My enduring memory of the new millenium is of starting it in misery, I just cried millenium night away, because I was desperate to go to the Manics' millenium show in Cardiff and my mum wouldn't let me go as she thought that at 16, I was too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

My enduring memory of the new millenium is of starting it in misery, I just cried millenium night away, because I was desperate to go to the Manics' millenium show in Cardiff and my mum wouldn't let me go as she thought that at 16, I was too young.

Eh slept through the countdown. My Mam woke me up at quarter past twelve to say happy new year. Disappointing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Thoroughly disappointed at the lack of any difference after the massive build up, I threw an empty pint glass at the TV in the pub. Seemed like a good idea at the time!!

Good year on the whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

January - Dr Harold Shipman is found guilty of murdering 15 patients, although there were more than 250 deaths that may have been ascribed to him.

harold_shipman.jpg

WHAT A GUY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Well-known phrase, "Last ~ of the millenium" is replaced with brand new phrase, "First ~ of the millenium"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

BlEJVrQBWkKGrHqQH-CYEsmyzKBLHuMtC2Q.jpg

Weren't these handed out in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Elmo wrote: »
    Weren't these handed out in 1999.

Yeah but they were to be lit at sundown on 31/12/99 to burn through the last night of the millenium and into the morning of the next. So the candle actually spanned 1999 and 2000.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Pokémon, the animé, the manga the cards, the games, the plushies, the figurines, and the 150 creatures called Pocket Monsters, not to mention Ash, Misty, Brock, Gary, Jesse and James and Meowth, Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle...

Every computer in the world fails..

bug2038.GIF
    No wait actually, they don't.

The term the Noughties is introduced because people could get their heads around the fact that we had just left the 90s, its the bloody 2 thousands.

Later the Noughties was joined by YoYos, both terms last until about 2003 when people discovered that both terms made them sound like complete idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

The term the Noughties is introduced because people could get their heads around the fact that we had just left the 90s, its the bloody 2 thousands.

Later the Noughties was joined by YoYos, both terms last until about 2003 when people discovered that both terms made them sound like complete idiots.

The word pedantic continues to be used by internet nerds, furiously rubbing the space between their eyebrows though.

The word pedantic continues to be used by internet nerds, furiously rubbing the space between their eyebrows though.

I just don't like people sounding stupid :D It's in everyones interest. "The Noughties" FFS.

I just don't like people sounding stupid.

Me neither. Have you anything worthwhile to contribute to the thread, or are you just stirring?

Me neither. Have you anything worthwhile to contribute to the thread, or are you just stirring?

I actually think the use of both words in the early 2000s is fairly important, prob isn't end up on the show as a major event but I have contributed to the thread in other posts. Kind of like Y2K. They should have called the decade the 2Ks or Mm.

Not really string just giving my point of view. I wasn't being overly serious.

Calling it the 2000's is awkward, cause people aren't sure whether you're referring to the period 2000-2099, 2000-2999 etc.
    But anyway, 2000, the Five Nations, becomes the Six Nations

Italy_rugby.png

Not really string just giving my point of view. I wasn't being overly serious.

Fair enough. I just picked the Noughties for the title as it sounds like the easiest option to describe that particular decade. Let me know your view of 'Reeling in the Tensies' in 2020 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Survivor.borneo.logo.pngFile:Survivor.borneo.logo.pngFile:Survivor.borneo.logo.png

And a generation of s*it TV begins.

• Advertisement

Survivor.borneo.logo.pngFile:Survivor.borneo.logo.pngFile:Survivor.borneo.logo.png

And a generation of s*it TV begins.

In fairness the summer of 2000 brought worse

image-1-for-the-eleven-big-brother-eyes-gallery-939297568.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mrmemoriesman

Some other things that happened in 2000 were:

- The IFA blockaded meat processing plants around the country in January to protest about something or other. Meat became scarce in shops for a few days

- The government was forced into an embarassing climbdown by withdrawing formar Justice Hugh O'Flaherty's nomination as Director of the European Investment Bank (EIB)

- The Abbeylara siege, in which John Carty was shot dead by the Garda ERU in Co. Longford

- A year of turbulence in the transport sector. The newly formed Irish Locomotive Drivers' Association (ILDA) trade union forces a lengthy train strike affecting the west coast in particular at the height of the summer tourist season. Its leader Brendan Ogle becomes a national hate figure.

-Taxi drivers withdraw their services in December after a deregulation programme is announced by Minister Bobby Molloy

- Road hauliers stage nationwide protests against fuel price hikes

- RTE's version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" launches in the Autumn. In the first episode, a school teacher from Bray gets £16,000 and a cleaner from Mullingar pockets £8,000.
    A smug pensioner from Howth runs home with £250,000.

- The Elian Gonzales saga. A Cuban orphan is involved in a tug of love between his extended family in Miami and his father in Cuba. The child is seized by US authorities and reunited with his father in Cuba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Perfect Dark gets released!! What a game! (For it's time)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Boardwalk.
    DUB%20Dublin%20-%20houses%20on%20Ormond%20Quay%20Lower%20with%20Liffey%20Boardwalk%20and%20River%20Liffey%2001%203008x2000.jpg

Wow. Dublin looked a lot nicer back then. The Quays have become much more cluttered since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

UEFA_Euro_2000.png

_821806_francewin300.jpg

France add to their world title to become European Champions for the 2nd Time.

Advertisement