Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House finishing costs

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Im currently budgeting for finishing a house. I have been able to guestimate tiling and flooring from various posts around the place. What I`m missing is sanitary ware for bathrooms and painting. If anybody could give figures they have paid recently it would be fanstastic.

What would be the cost for fitting a bath & shower room its about 20 sqrm (including tiling etc)

Likewise, how much would a toliet only room (+ basin) and an ensuite typically be ?

Finally, how much would a painter be for a 2600 sqr ft house ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

imitation wrote: »
    Im currently budgeting for finishing a house. I have been able to guestimate tiling and flooring from various posts around the place. What I`m missing is sanitary ware for bathrooms and painting. If anybody could give figures they have paid recently it would be fanstastic.

What would be the cost for fitting a bath & shower room its about 20 sqrm (including tiling etc)

Likewise, how much would a toliet only room (+ basin) and an ensuite typically be ?

Hey,

you really are into the territory of how long is piece of string there.

You can go and buy a basin and toilet set in B&Q for €150 and then have to pay €100 for fixtures and fittings.

We're getting a lovely bath which is costing €350 and the nice mixer unit for it is almost €400. That's what you are up against!

Again, you can buy unbranded shower mixer valves for €150 and a nice good quality Mira will cost about €220.

Likewise with tiles, you can buy nice plain black and white tiles for an ensuite at €10/sq yd or you could buy fancy fan-dangled tiles at €20.

Shower enclosures range from €200 to €2000.

We have gotten all our sanitary ware including a 2 mira mixers, 1 triton "rainshower head" and showers/trays/enclosures/toilets/basins for 3 ensuites and the same for our main bathroom with a Triton T90 shower all for €4500. Fairly basic stuff in two minor ensuites, nicer stuff in the main ensuite and main bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thanks. You are correct in saying I can spend as little or as much as I like. But I don't have any feel for what your average bathroom costs for estimate purposes. Thanks for your figures it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

For estimating, I wouldn't use "average" costs. Go to B&Q and write down the prices of what you like. Once you're in the store, you're going to see what you want and pay for it, regardless of whether or not its "average" price. Baseline assumptions for the cost of things like fittings only work when you're developing multiple units or refurbing a rental unit, because in that case you're just going to put in cheap N cheerful with little personal discretion.

High end kitchen & bath fittings are worth it IMO. They have longer warranties and generally are trouble free for a long time... no drips, stuck valves, etc. For the actual sink/toilet/bath unit, you can go as cheap as you like as long as you like the look, a sink is a pretty basic device and isn't going to change hugely in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

For estimating, I wouldn't use "average" costs. Go to B&Q and write down the prices of what you like. Once you're in the store, you're going to see what you want and pay for it, regardless of whether or not its "average" price. Baseline assumptions for the cost of things like fittings only work when you're developing multiple units or refurbing a rental unit, because in that case you're just going to put in cheap N cheerful with little personal discretion.

High end kitchen & bath fittings are worth it IMO. They have longer warranties and generally are trouble free for a long time... no drips, stuck valves, etc. For the actual sink/toilet/bath unit, you can go as cheap as you like as long as you like the look, a sink is a pretty basic device and isn't going to change hugely in quality.

Thanks for the tips. I`m trying to get an estimation of how much the whole house will cost for the minute, I know the finishing costs will float up and downwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 2S2B

imitation wrote: »

Just an idea about the painting for the 2600 sq foot house, it would roughly cost you:
    €1500 for walls and ceiling
    €1300 for varnishing wood work - €1600 for white woodwork

• Advertisement
Advertisement