Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overhead task lighting

• 04-02-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

for an elderly person to read comfortably, what dedicated task light(s) is needed in the ceiling over their chair ?

ceiling to seat is 7 foot, i want about a 4 foot diameter well lit at this seat height.

halogen 12v/mains, cfl/led/incandescent ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

for this i've used lights on a stand, i've replaced the lamps with cfls as other options can get hot, there are many such lamps in argos etc. Also as a cheaper option you can buy a lamp with a clamp at the end, if the chair is suitable you can clamp the lamp to the top of the chair so that the light can come over the back of the reader. Ikea have these for about 6 euro and sell the cfl lamps to fit the lead has an inline switch so it's easy to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jaya

thanks stoner,

i got a similar recommendation (stand) on another forum, ideally id like something more stationary up high due to traffic etc. ...looks like cfls, leds aren't a great option at a 7 foot drop, ...i was recommended an r80 at that height, ....any info on when r80s are getting phased out here?

also saw megaman had an 75w replacement - cfl 18w directional dimmerable
    any opinions? ...... i could maybe drop it a foot or two in a shade or pendent, shorten the distance to around 5'. ...what clear glass golf ball incandescent bulb would that be like at 5 feet, ...how many watts roughly, ignoring the mad science bit, just to see if its even an option.

Advertisement