Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I using the right HDMI cables?

• 04-02-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Non techie here....any advice greatly appreciated!

Just bought a Panasonic full HD TV and a Panasonic home cinema system. I already have Sky HD.

The sales guy suggested I buy 2 HDMI cables for 60 euro each. They are: "Monster cable Standard 550HD for HDMI: 2.23 Gbps: for 720p/1080i: 8 bit colour".

I have read some of the other threads and I see different people have different views on the varying quality of HDMI cables.

I just wanted to know:

(1) Will this HDMI cable suffice for my Sky HD box or would a 1080p cable with a higher Gbps be better?

(2) The DVD player that comes with the home cinema system connects to the TV via a HDMI cable. I haven't set it up yet but supposedly it does some sort of conversion whereby a standard DVD is converted to a full 1080p HD format on the TV. Since my HDMI cable has a max of 1080i, would I benefit by upgrading to a HD 1080p HDMI cable for this?

Thanks in advance.

PS Just found this site: http://www.hdmiinfo.org/ - think its owned by Monster.

Website says for my cable - a 2.23 Gbps 720p/1080i cable - that it's suited for upconverting DVD players and entry level HDTV. So this matches what the sales guy was telling me and seems to match the equipment I have. Rang a couple of places to check what they had but got different speeds for different cables. Confusing!

Anyone any ideas or should I just stick with what I got?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

No, no no no no!!

Don't ever buy Monster. The sales man is on commission/ordered to push Monster.

The Monster cables are well made cables, its just they are absolutely positively massively over priced.
    Google Monster cable scams

For short runs up to 5m the crappy hdmi cable that came with a device is as good as any. Its only for runs 10m or longer that one wants to buy better quality cable but whereas Monster charge god knows how many hundreds of euro for a 10-15m HDMI cable, one can get top quality 10-15m for around 80 euro.

I actually just bought 3x 5m HDMI cables from Powercity today. XtremeCables 1080p 1.3 cable with swivel heads for €18 each I wouldn't pay more than 10 or 12 euro for 1m or 15 or 16 euro for 3m.

Stay away from Monster. The only thing differentiating them from any other half decent cable is the price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Please see the Stickey post at the top of the forum entitled "Cable Questions - Please Read This First".

Closing this thread.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement