Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's going to the shoot in Hilltop in 13/14 Feb?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Boards is exceptionally quiet these days.

I stuck up a notice for a Shoot and Night out on the 13/14 Feb @ Hilltop.

We've all heard how important it is to attend competitions - the Gardai have made a point of looking for competition attendances as part of many license applications.
    Here's one for everyone; shotgun, rifle and pistol.

This competition is fantastic value for what you get - you wouldn't get this many events for half the price anywhere else.
    It's also a great opportunity to put a few faces to names and meet others from other clubs.

The Night out is also great value and an excuse to meet up with other shooters, have a feed, have a few drinks, tell a few lies, put a few faces to names but above all have a bit of craic.

To top it all off all the proceeds go to the NASRPC Legal fund, which if we support it will do us all good.

I'm surprised at how little discussion there has been about the shoot here on boards, especially when it provides a competition for everyone who attends the shooting forums.

Who's going?

B'Man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'll be there; shooting .22 benchrest and smallbore pistol stuff, and no doubt making an eejit of myself at the shotgun and gallery rifle stuff too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks for the timely reminder, B'Man!

I'm planning to get up to the shoot either on the Saturday or Sunday. Not sure which day yet.

Going to shoot .22 Benchrest and try my hand at Gallery, at the very least;). Looking forward to a very full and fun-packed day's shooting!:D

Won't make the booze-up....sorry, I mean dinner-dance!:rolleyes: Too much on the ol' personal plate at the mo and, as it is, I'm pushing it getting to the shoot!:eek: But see you up there on one of the days.

dC

P.S.
    Boards is exceptionally quiet these days

Very true - Has been since the Great Hackday Shutdown of 2010! Maybe that caused us all to get up off our collective a***'s and go shooting instead of surfing!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Hoping to make the 12th in order to embarrass myself with some poor scores .but wont know till Tuesday as I'm due to have a course that weekend .

the Joys of work , wife , shooting and uni all competing at once

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Darr wrote: »
    Hoping to make the 12th

It's the 13th and 14th - should make it easier ;)

Bring the Mrs. with you - at these functions most people bring their better half which makes it all the more craic - they love been entertained by people discussing the latest bipods, sights and chokes :rolleyes: - seriously though it's usually 50% ladies at these things.

My Mrs. thought I was in a cult (we went into the hills once or twice a week to 'make noise' and seemed to hand over a lot of money with amazing regularity) until she came to the first club function - then she was sure - then she went to an NASRPC do and now realises that there's people the length and breadth of the country who are as a passionate about the sport as I am - not sure if she gave up on her first impressions though :D

B'Man

Yeah, and best not forget to make sure all gear & kit costs mentioned at these do's are divided by factor of 10 or 100, to avoid any domestic issues arising!:D

Her: "Did you pay the mortgage this month, dear?"
    Me: "Of course, yes, my beloved"
    Her: "Oh good, that's us safe and warm for another month"
    (Pause for effect)
    Her: "I noticed your lovely new rifle"
    (Pause to make sure she's talking about firearms:o)
    Me: "Oh yes, a lad was selling one second hand and practically giving it away, my ever beloved"
    Her: "And how much did he give it away for?"
    Me: "Oh.....just a hundred yoyo's or so, my excellent beloved dearest one...."

(Sound familiar?:D)

• Advertisement

oh it does indeed .. as I keep telling her , my pet costs less then her cat to feed .. still I have been over feeding it a lot lately :)

Oh yes BM course is on the 13th :) .. still I dont think she fancies still around a campus for the day and Im not leaving her in Ikea on her own again (my CC hasnt recovered yet)

Darr

Darr wrote: »
    I dont think she fancies still around a campus for the day

Have her come to the comp while you sweat over a hot dissertation :D

Then meet up at the function afterwards and see how she did - then you can go the the comp on the Sunday and see if you can beat her.

Easiest way to work out who the designated Driver for Paddys Weekend is :cool:

B'Man

my god man you must or should work in sales ..

I dunno leave the wife alone with a load of shooters :) .. never good

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Both myself and my better half will be at the shoot and the night out. Shooting followed by food, drink and great craic....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

We will be there.:cool:

...although reading the previous posts prompts me to ask people not to tell stories about being caught out in "exaggeration" of the bargain price of a piece of sporting equipment. She will be reminded of the time -many years ago - when I got a really nice Bruce & Walker fly rod at a bargain but still hefty price. Since she thought that buying clothes for the kids etc was more important than my sporting pursuits I somewhat exaggerated the savings only to be cought out when she overheard my friend and I admiring the rod and he mentioned the real bargain price:mad:

I think she has forgotten that, but a lot of new equipment comes into the house every year and ignorance is sometimes bliss;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wouldn't mind being there, but work won't permit the time :(
    Maybe a way of contributing a few quid to the fund could be arranged? (Paypal perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'll be there on Saturday (13th) for some pistol and gallery rifle fun, and the night out too!

Sparks wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind being there, but work won't permit the time :(
    Maybe a way of contributing a few quid to the fund could be arranged? (Paypal perhaps?)

Pity you can't make it - always wanted to see how you would stand up to the rest of us in a competition :).

Please be sure to tell all the other NTSA folks they are all more than welcome and we look forward to competing with them - could make for some interesting competition.

The iontention is to make the match attractive to people from all the different sporting codes.

NASRPC have no paypal payment mechanism - although you can make donations in cash, cheque, credit card or debit card. All was outlined in the latest newsletter and in the match flyer. PM me if you need more info.

B'Man

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'll try and make at least some of this. One way or another, I'll pay the entry.

I don't think I'll be able to persuade the OH to make an appearance though. She hasn't picked up a rifle or come to a competition in years and I can't see her starting now. :(
    dCorbus wrote:
    Bananaman wrote:
    Boards is exceptionally quiet these days

Very true - Has been since the Great Hackday Shutdown of 2010! Maybe that caused us all to get up off our collective a***'s and go shooting instead of surfing!:rolleyes::D

Traffic is slowly climbing back as people recover their accounts. The shooting forums are roughly back to where they should be for this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Greenacre

Very encouraging to see offers of support, I'm going and so is the Boss, looking forward to a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Will be there on Saturday. Will shoot whatever I can. Will see about the dinner though.

Due to popular demand the rugby will be on in the clubhouse
    just in case that's what was holding you back

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

well i,ll be there hehe
    bought me some tickets for the raffle too
    dont know what i,m going to do with another rifle ;)
    i asked a few issf shooters to come and try this too ... got some weird looks
    aaah well
    going too the meal too
    wouldn,t miss that
    you wouldn,t know what you would see in the lobby of that hotel at 4am sunday morning :eek:;):confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

Sorry that I cant attend, as it will be a great couple of days. I had a trip booked to OZ and cant change dates. Regardless, tickets and entry are paid for plus a few tickets for the draw. Might be an easier way for me to win something other than shooting in a comp!

I hear that some TV's are also on site for the Match, so everyone is catered for!

Roll up everyone, and support the NASRPC fund!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

TV,s ?????
    hope it,s not what i,m thinking it is:eek::eek:

Mr Mole wrote: »
    Sorry that I cant attend, as it will be a great couple of days. I had a trip booked to OZ and cant change dates. Regardless, tickets and entry are paid for plus a few tickets for the draw. Might be an easier way for me to win something other than shooting in a comp!

I hear that some TV's are also on site for the Match, so everyone is catered for!

Roll up everyone, and support the NASRPC fund!:D

• Advertisement

Yeah - you guessed it - reruns of Magnum P.I. and McGyver on loop.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

Bananman,
    I will try and make it...

hey james, full details here: http://www.nasrpc.ie/

Location is Hilltop Shooting Club, outside Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow. Directions on their website: http://www.pcquad.com/location.htm

Hope that's of help.

I've never shot a benchrest competition before, so I'm going to have to modify the Walther KK200 I normally shoot with. Are there any major rules I need to be aware of?

I also need to fit a scope, that's tomorrow evening's project. :) I've shot at a benchrest target with the normal sights and it was bloody hard so this time I want to make sure I have some chance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wouldn't mind turning up to this if I have time. Never shot gallery or anything, would love to try it. Could bring my smallbore rifle for the benchrest, but like IRLConor, I've no experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi,

Gun or combination of gun and scope defines your class.

I think for your gun, it rules you out of International Sporter, which leaves either light varmint, or Heavy Varmint for you, light being under 10.5 iBS and Heave above it.

Other than that its 50 metres, Outdoor, 25 scoring shots and unlimited sighters in 30 mins

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Cheers. Sounds like it'll be heavy varmint on both our guns anyway. Must see about scoping my one up anyway, might give this a crack.

Scalachi wrote: »
    Hi,

Gun or combination of gun and scope defines your class.

I think for your gun, it rules you out of International Sporter, which leaves either light varmint, or Heavy Varmint for you, light being under 10.5 iBS and Heave above it.

Other than that its 50 metres, Outdoor, 25 scoring shots and unlimited sighters in 30 mins

Regards

DB

Thanks. The rifle will be roughly 13 lbs so that'd put me in the heavy class.

Now all I need to do is bodge on a scope. :)

Now all I need to do is bodge on a scope

Got loads of masking tape and elastic bands to spare if you need any, C?!:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 love to shoot

dose anyone have copy of a benchrest target they can post so i know what i am looking at the weekend (to scale if possible) never seen one never been to a competition dont want too much of a shock. thanks in advance

Advertisement