Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something I admire about the muslim culture.

• 04-02-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

perhaps I'm wrong when I say culture, but I always admired the dresscode of women ( bar the burka ) in the muslim culture, roman Catholic Christians also beleive that their women should dress modestly and cover up, and model themselves upon our Lady. although not all do that. Whenever I see a muslim woman, I often think of our Lady.

whenever I see a woman dress modestly I see ''A WOMAN'' and whenever I see a woman in a mini skirt I think ''no respect for oneself or for God'' my heart goes out to them and I pray for them.

it is seen in the Bible how important it is for women to be covered, when King david saw bethsheba, he didnt desire her until he saw her bathing naked. you see he saw her shape and thus desired her, which is why women should always cover their shape.

God bless
    Stephen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

perhaps I'm wrong when I say culture, but I always admired the dresscode of women ( bar the burka ) in the muslim culture, roman Catholic Christians also beleive that their women should dress modestly and cover up, and model themselves upon our Lady. although not all do that. Whenever I see a muslim woman, I often think of our Lady.

whenever I see a woman dress modestly I see ''A WOMAN'' and whenever I see a woman in a mini skirt I think ''no respect for oneself or for God'' my heart goes out to them and I pray for them.

it is seen in the Bible how important it is for women to be covered, when King david saw bethsheba, he didnt desire her until he saw her bathing naked. you see he saw her shape and thus desired her, which is why women should always cover their shape.

God bless
    Stephen.

Without wishing to sound like Randy Pan the Goat Boy(tm) here, I've always thought the logic that if a woman covers up, she suddenly become undesirable, underestimates male physiology, psychology and imagination. I've seen plenty of fanciable women in hijab, and a woman in a burkha in a Starbucks once eye-flirted with me.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

This is exactly why your views are wrong. You can only view this situation from how it affects you as a male and you you feel. You are exposed to the female, you perhaps cant control your own thoughts but defer the responsiblity onto the female.

Why cant women dress how they feel. I can see a skimpily dressed woman, I may mentally make note of it, but still she is a woman, a human, just like anyone else and that is how I would view her.

What if women went "hey, men cant wear short sleeve shirts, some attractive ones with well fit biceps get me a bit hot under the collar and they shouldnt do that".

This misogynistic view is what characterises your viepoint.

Right, it's all the women's fault. The poor men are never to be held responsible for anything they feel or do, because they can't help it.
    Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

PoleStar wrote: »
    This is exactly why your views are wrong. You can only view this situation from how it affects you as a male and you you feel. You are exposed to the female, you perhaps cant control your own thoughts but defer the responsiblity onto the female.

Why cant women dress how they feel. I can see a skimpily dressed woman, I may mentally make note of it, but still she is a woman, a human, just like anyone else and that is how I would view her.

What if women went "hey, men cant wear short sleeve shirts, some attractive ones with well fit biceps get me a bit hot under the collar and they shouldnt do that".

This misogynistic view is what characterises your viepoint.

I never said she wasnt human, and I never said that the male isnt to blame, he is to blame for his sin such as king David who recognised his sin and was forgiven. but when a female struts her stuff in front of a man, she led him into sin and she is partly to blame also. it is the natural law that when a man looks at a woman in the nip or if she be dressed in a slutty manner that he become aroused, woman cover themselves up, to protect both themselves and the man from being led into this sin. some men can resist the action but they commit the sin of lust in their heart, others are not so strong and they go ahead and commit the sin in thought and action, whether it be rape or if it be consented. they may dress slutty and think they are not causing any harm, but they dont understand the mans mind and the natural law of his body.

thats my view of it.

but when a female struts her stuff in front of a man, she led him into sin and she is partly to blame also. it is the natural law that when a man looks at a woman in the nip or if she be dressed in a slutty manner

So, there's no middle-ground between being:

(a) a slut in the nip strutting her stuff
    (b) covering up

?

I've managed to reach the age of 39 without feeling like I would ever rape a woman. The fact that you seem to think this is old reflects more on you than me, I think.

P.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »
    So, there's no middle-ground between being:

(a) a slut in the nip strutting her stuff
    (b) covering up

?

I've managed to reach the age of 39 without feeling like I would ever rape a woman. The fact that you seem to think this is old reflects more on you than me, I think.

P.

and I have reached the age of 25 without feeling like I would ever rape a woman too, so how dare you make such implications upon me and I view your post as an insult.

and I have reached the age of 25 without feeling like I would ever rape a woman too, so how dare you make such implications upon me and I view your post as an insult.

So no response to my question then? It's either slutty or cover-up? Virgin or whore?

P.

So no response to my question then? It's either slutty or cover-up? Virgin or whore?

P.

Women should cover up and all should should remain chaste until marriage.

Thats the Catholic doctrine, I'm not sure about the muslims outlook on that.

I dont think the woman is not human, and I dont look at her with hate, otherwise I wouldnt be christian, but I do not agree with her dresscode.

I dont think the woman is not human, and I dont look at her with hate, otherwise I wouldnt be christian, but I do not agree with her dresscode.

Wow, how magnanimous of you. You actually think that women who don't cover up are still human. I presume you yourself are either married or a virgin of course.

P.

Wow, how magnanimous of you. You actually think that women who don't cover up are still human. I presume you yourself are either married or a virgin of course.

P.

only because your posts ( to me ) gave off the vibe that I didnt think they were human.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Women should cover up and all should should remain chaste until marriage.

Thats the Catholic doctrine, I'm not sure about the muslims outlook on that.

It's none of your business how she dresses or if she 'remains chaste' and wittering on about poor men being dragged into sin because of how a woman might dress makes you sound hateful and frankly a little deluded. Which is probably the real reason a man or woman might wonder about your post. If a man rapes a woman he is a rapist, end of, he is the trangressor, the doer, the active participant. Plenty of modestly dressed woman and indeed men get raped, are you offering a sliding scale of compassion based on wardrobe choices? What of the elderly lady sitting at home alone who is raped by an intruder. Are you going to ponder her part in the 'sin'?
    I'm 37, what I chose to wear is my business and mine alone and if your poor bleeding heart goes out to me because I chose to wear a dress on a night out that doesn't come up to your exacting personal standards of 'modesty' I could not care less and I doubt anyone else does either, look to the mote in your own eye before you pick apart others.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 starchild27

they may dress slutty and think they are not causing any harm, but they dont understand the mans mind and the natural law of his body

The natural law of his body? You can't be for real. Its skin and bone - its the same skin and bone that a man has in case you hadn't noticed. So why is it that a mans body should not be hidden from the world instead? Or have you considered that maybe it is your issue that you cannot control yourself and not an issue concerning any such thing as natural laws of men? Or maybe your God is testing you have you thought of that possibility?

Im curious, since hiding a womans body is acceptable to you then why not a burka?

I would suggest that if the sight of a womans legs is that powerful to you then perhaps you can simply avert your eyes lest these laws overwhelm you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

This is the Islam forum just in case people hadn't noticed

Please keep the topic about Muslim women and culture

If you wish to discuss women in other religions or the OP's beliefs then there are other forums for that

Thanks
    Recliner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I never said she wasnt human, and I never said that the male isnt to blame, he is to blame for his sin such as king David who recognised his sin and was forgiven. but when a female struts her stuff in front of a man, she led him into sin and she is partly to blame also. it is the natural law that when a man looks at a woman in the nip or if she be dressed in a slutty manner that he become aroused, woman cover themselves up, to protect both themselves and the man from being led into this sin. some men can resist the action but they commit the sin of lust in their heart, others are not so strong and they go ahead and commit the sin in thought and action, whether it be rape or if it be consented. they may dress slutty and think they are not causing any harm, but they dont understand the mans mind and the natural law of his body.

thats my view of it.

So by this argument, a wealthy man who wears expensive clothes and drives an expensive car is partially to blame if he is ribbed as he entices robbers onto him by teasing onlookers with his wealth?
    Tell me, why does this point of view only invovle women having to cover up completely? I dont hear you complaining about men who dont completely cover up, head scarf and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Anyone else who ignores Recliner's request will be banned and this thread closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

... and I never said that the male isnt to blame..... but when a female struts her stuff in front of a man, she led him into sin and she is partly to blame also. it is the natural law that when a man looks at a woman in the nip or if she be dressed in a slutty manner that he become aroused....whether it be rape or if it be consented. they may dress slutty and think they are not causing any harm, but they dont understand the mans mind and the natural law of his body.
    thats my view of it.

Again, you are just backing up my argument with your replies as you continue to illustrate how a womans place in the world is determined by how she is perceived by men "slutty clothes", leading to "rape".

You would think that in gods eyes, the natural beauty of a male or female form would be a thing to behold, not to be viewed as a terrible thing, merely designed to tease and test us.

I hate to use these phrases, what if an ugly fat women is dressed skimpily. I assume you wouldnt be turned on then. So then it begs the question, is it only those who have the potential to arouse the interests of men that should cover up?

Seriously, can you not look at a woman and judge them as a person irrespective of their looks and physique. I can. I might marvel at her beauty but that is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Polestar banned for ignoring Recliner's request

People can't seem to stay on topic. As a result this thread is going nowhere so it is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement