Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Tax the Rich

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Guell72 wrote: »
    I have moved job last year because i wouldnt take a cut. I got redundancy. Then i moved to my current company. I was asked to take a paycut in this company not long ago. I refused. I didnt get cut and im still here. Both people who took cuts and those who refused cuts are still here.

ok - i assumed you were in the PS given your stance.....

I still think you are unbelievably arrogant to assume you are immune to wage cuts and everyone could prepare themselves for a downturn. You should count yourself lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    last i checked neither Monaco nor Malta were "hellholes"...

I haven't been to Malta, but I wouldn't like to live in Monaco. That's partly because of the neighbours I would have: I don't find money-obsessed people to be very congenial company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

faceman wrote: »
    I hate suggestions of blanket taxes regardless of who they are targetting at. Just because on paper someone has a higher disposal income does not necessary mean they have more disposable cash. Their mortgage could be high, car loans etc just like everyone else.

Also if you tax high earning entrepreneurs to hard, they will just pack their stuff and move to another country or give up investing in Ireland.

Im not saying we tax those on lower income to compensate either.

however on re-reading your post, im not sure my comment is relevent. You has confused me!

How did u feel about blanket pay cuts for all PS workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I don't find money-obsessed people to be very congenial company.

thats a great way to describe the public sector nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Blanket cuts is the worse solution from all possible
    Extra proof that we have left wing government, which is running of out money. Proper right wing government would start to use divide and rule tactic within public services, would minimize cuts for lower paid PS workers, would avoid cuts for critical frontline workers, such as gardai, teachers, some nurse and would enforce maximum cuts on overpaid and non-critical part of public services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

woodseb wrote: »
    ok - i assumed you were in the PS given your stance.....

I still think you are unbelievably arrogant to assume you are immune to wage cuts and everyone could prepare themselves for a downturn. You should count yourself lucky

Is there any way of checking who this guy is?? His posts seem remarkably similar to a guy who was on here before Christmas with a remarkably similar arrogant attitude, username: GDAEL
    gdael wrote: »
    As i said re-read my posts. The reason i include construction workers with an AND is because they are skilled. I said un/low skilled workers AND construction workers. I dont believe you missed that.

Please look up a dictionary for the meaning of unskilled and low skilled.

Then you can decide who you want to include in the stats.

And if your girlfriends comany all took a 10% pay cut they obviously were not skilled enough to be able to move somewhere else. Its their own faults for putting up with it.

Even so, is it just her company then? The amount of people getting pay cuts is very small isnt it, yet people talk about it as if its rife in the private sector. It isnt.

Like i said anyone i know of who has lost their job or had wage cuts AND is skilled and not in construction has had no problem finding another job. Including contractors.

Id be interested to hear what people posting hear about cutting the public sector actually earn themselves, and what they work at.

Ireland is just full of those of us who like to tear down those in a better position than ourselves. Sickening really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd have to say it's an unfortunate consequence for PS workers of being militantly unionised.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Blanket cuts is the worse solution from all possible
    Extra proof that we have left wing government, which is running of out money. Proper right wing government would start to use divide and rule tactic within public services, would minimize cuts for lower paid PS workers, would avoid cuts for critical frontline workers, such as gardai, teachers, some nurse and would enforce maximum cuts on overpaid and non-critical part of public services.

A right-wing government wouldn't care if someone was "low-paid" if they could still get someone to do the job for cheaper. You certainly wouldn't see admin staff on €45k for one thing, regardless of years service.

Personally I'm also not down with this "frontline" emotive rhetoric. The groups who benefited the most from benchmarking should pay their share. It left a sour taste in my mouth when their unions came out and said that they were more important than other public sector workers and it was other public sector workers who should shoulder the entire burden. I know quite a few people working as professionals in the civil service who are on salaries that are appropriate for their qualifications, experience and job responsibilities. They shouldn't have to suffer unfairly on account of this "frontline" emotional blackmail. (Thankfully the government didn't buy it anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Is there any way of checking who this guy is?? His posts seem remarkably similar to a guy who was on here before Christmas with a remarkably similar arrogant attitude, username: GDAEL
    There was also a user called PLIM who used to go on with the same rubbish:

[PHP]Im sick of hearing private sector workers gripe about the benefits a public sector worker gets.
    I do quite well in the private sector myself because i chose the career path i am on. I made sure i was at the top of my game. And i make sure i change companies every 2 - 3 years as its the only way to make sure you increase your worth all the time. Compare anyone in a company for 4 or 5 years to someone who moves and see the difference in salary increases.
    If you cant move company, you're not good enough and are better off staying put, or else put some work into your career.

Public sector workers chose what path they wanted and that career path came with certain benefits. So dont complain about them - deal with your own career.

If you are good enough at your job you can also negotiate pension, VHI, extra holiday days and sick pay. [/PHP]

He got a red card for the following and has made no posts since :eek:

[PHP]People in Ireland these days are more happy to try to make sure others dont get more than they do, rather than improve their own careers.
    "Oh he got more crisps than I did. Thats not fair. Take them off him".

If you guys spent the same effort on your own careers as you do begrudging others their careers choices, you would probably be laughing at the terrible conditions of employment in the public service when compared to your own jobs. But continue begrudging others if you want. Its all in your own hands.
    Either go get a PS job to get their benefits, or improve your worth in the Private sector and increase your benefits/salary etc to more than the PS get.[/PHP]

Suspicious!!

Edit: Sorry still getting the hang of the interface on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Stark wrote: »
    A right-wing government wouldn't care if someone was "low-paid" if they could still get someone to do the job for cheaper. You certainly wouldn't see admin staff on €45k for one thing, regardless of years service.

Personally I'm also not down with this "frontline" emotive rhetoric. The groups who benefited the most from benchmarking should pay their share. It left a sour taste in my mouth when their unions came out and said that they were more important than other public sector workers and it was other public sector workers who should shoulder the entire burden. I know quite a few people working as professionals in the civil service who are on salaries that are appropriate for their qualifications, experience and job responsibilities. They shouldn't have to suffer unfairly on account of this "frontline" emotional blackmail. (Thankfully the government didn't buy it anyway).
    i agree. A nurse in France gets 20k on starting out. Here its more like 36k. Why is Mary worth so much more than Marie when Marie's employer/government/nation is much richer than Mary's?????? Theres loads of qualifed nurses etc leaving the country as there little new recruitment. Theres in fact many thousands of very capable young people out there who would do the jobs of nurses, gardai etc for half the money in the current environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭simplistic2

**** sake more violence??

**** the government and privatize everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

This post has been deleted.

Yes, when the history books are written from a proper perspective, they will identify one B Ahern as a Taoiseach who, in pursuit of his person political and selfish ends, gave in to almost any section of the public service when it came to pay claims, giving rise to the imbalance we have had between the amount our public sector gets paid and their counterparts across the rest of the EU, and which saw many of our public servants being paid considerably more than almost any others across the world.

It used to be said that the professional classes were a conspiracy against the rest of society, and it seems our former Taoiseach turned our country into a place where the political and public service were a consiracy against the rest of society.

Without doubt, he was teh worst taoiseach this country ever had, and the consequences of his rotten leadership will be felt for years. In the meantime, he is living with his chauffered limousine with round the clock drivers (not paid for by himself, naturally), and his numerous pensions to which he has not contributed a penny.

Our system does not reward success, but rewards office holders whether they are successful or disasterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Without doubt, he was teh worst taoiseach this country ever had, and the consequences of his rotten leadership will be felt for years. In the meantime, he is living with his chauffered limousine with round the clock drivers (not paid for by himself, naturally), and his numerous pensions to which he has not contributed a penny.

Our system does not reward success, but rewards office holders whether they are successful or disasterous.

hear, hear. It makes me so angry to think what a mess that fucker made of our country, and the opportunities squandered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yes, when the history books are written from a proper perspective, they will identify one B Ahern as a Taoiseach who, in pursuit of his person political and selfish ends, gave in to almost any section of the public service when it came to pay claims, giving rise to the imbalance we have had between the amount our public sector gets paid and their counterparts across the rest of the EU, and which saw many of our public servants being paid considerably more than almost any others across the world.

It used to be said that the professional classes were a conspiracy against the rest of society, and it seems our former Taoiseach turned our country into a place where the political and public service were a consiracy against the rest of society.

Many will agree with this, I have to say I nearly get sick every time I see that smug muppet on TV or hear him on radio making wise cracks and deflecting any responsibility from himself for the horrible mess he has walked away from scot free. If the people elect him president and award him another plum job then I really will give up on the Irish people.
    On the other side of the coin he only ever gave the mob what they asked for, however the leader of a country should be above this, it is not their job to be popular or be all things to all men.

Advertisement