Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober surfing

Options
  • 04-02-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Alright, at the suggestion of another Boards member we are starting a thread on here to try and get a surfing group up and running with out alcohol.

The idea is to go for weekends away to places like Bundoran and West Port to learn to Surf and enjoy the beach/west/out doors with out needing to end every night in a drunken stupor.

If anyone is interested please post here.

So far there are 3 boardsies considering the plan and one boards members girlriend.

I have absolutely no Experience in surfing so beginners welcome and we wont get going til March. It's a bit cold even then and I wont be availble til then also.

I already have a car, tent and wet suit so can comfotably accomodate 3 passengers. TYhe more numbers interested the less it will cost for lesssons and group bookings for hostels etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

As I said in the other thread, sign me up. :)

I'm on the west side of the country but I'm willing to travel to the east for this. Could I get a lift off ya? I'll throw in for petrol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Would love to do this. Have no experience though. Was thinking of doing some lessons in lahinch or bundoran though.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

bluefinger wrote: »
    Would love to do this. Have no experience though. Was thinking of doing some lessons in lahinch or bundoran though.

In the previous thread which sparked this one, I mentioned a surf school & lodge in Bundoran which I went to and found them excellent. They're also in Strandhill. They really know their stuff. They're called Turn'n'Surf. I've had 1 lesson for a few hours, just me and the OH. It was great craic.

As I said, sign me up. Myself and the girlfriend.

By the way, I think it was mentioned about bringing along non-non-drinkers (ie drinkers) and I've no problem with this. As much as we don't like drinkers telling us "Ah just one, go on, you will" I don't think we should make it a rule that nobody on the trip is allowed to drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bounci

new here. would love this too count me in, have no experience but love the idea of meeting other non drinkers and havin a bit of fun, trying something new. I kite board so could bring the gear and maybe give you guys a bit of a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

This is off-topic but the title of this thread reminds me of an advert for Guiness from the early 80s that showed surfer guys. And a Christy Moore song that lampooned it. "How can I surf the waves on forty pints of stout?" ... or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Sounds like a great trip....drinkers are entitled to a "scoop" when they want to, Life is full of ...dangerous occasions of Gin.......you can't stop living just because you dont't drink. Have a blast lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*raises hand*

count me in please =) I've been to bundoran before with the surf club in college, loved the surfing but hated the social (drink) aspect! Haven't been around this corner of boards before, must have a look around and say hello... =)

Hi Cocoa.

Glad to hear you're up for some sober surfing. I wonder if you still sway and wobble?! :)

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Hi Cocoa.

Glad to hear you're up for some sober surfing. I wonder if you still sway and wobble?! :)

whoa, took me a while to figure out what you meant there. Was trying to remember if I know you or if there's something about my username that implies seafaring...

I still drink occasionally, but it's becoming less and less frequent and I just don't see the point any more (not that I ever really did now I think about it). cheaper, healthier and more fun without =)

just to throw in my 2 cents, if people are allowed drink on the trip, there should at least be a strict rule against egging on other people to drink.

I'm in the same boat. I think anyone egging on people to drink at a non-drinker meet would face harsh consequences. I think it only happens with just one person not drinking when your out in a bar etc. Plus, they'd have to give up one of their own beers. I say if anyone pushes anyone else to drink, we take the beer and spill it out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Thomas828 wrote: »
    This is off-topic but the title of this thread reminds me of an advert for Guiness from the early 80s that showed surfer guys. And a Christy Moore song that lampooned it. "How can I surf the waves on forty pints of stout?" ... or something like that.

I think it may have been only 14 pints . . .;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

Hi, I have just discovered this group. Weekends away surfing sans alcohol sounds great. I would love to go

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

Alrighty, as said at the beginning Im pretty busy til March but March fast approacheth so lets get planning. i think we should get a list of people def interested in going plus transport, a destination, a weekend that suits us all etc etc. We could try to do this all on here but eventually we will need to meet face to face.

I have a car and can bring 3 peeps comfortably.

March 3-9 Im away so how about March 13/14 we try to meet up in Dublin city centre. For those not living in or near Dublin we will con tinue to plan online.

Even if we are only 4-6 people thats still plenty for a bit of sober craic and yes anyone trying to encourage non drinkers to break and have a beer will be given two choices:

1. Allow us to pour your booze away
    2. Allow us to bury you ion the sand for an hour. (Dogs peeing on your head are a real risk in option 2)

OK jokes aside drnkers welcome but well behaved drinkers who wont judge us for we do not judge them...

Ill be online again at some point this weekend

all sounds good to me =)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yoshimi1983

Hmm, I'm new but I'd be interested. However, i've sporting commitments till the end of march...so hopefully ye'll have such a good time ye'll go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I'll have to give the first one a miss. Keep me in mind for future trips though, am genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I'd love to take part in an event like this but alas i'm all the way down in Cork but i've been following the thread. If ye don't mind me throwing my 2 cents worth in.......my view is feck the drinkers on this occasion (and i speak as an occasional drinker). This is a great idea that grew out of a desire for like minded people to meet up and do something fun and alcohol-free. Most of Ireland's social life is based on drinking so when something like this is organised ye should not have to go out of ye're way to accomadate people who want to go on the piss and have all these rules about not encouraging others to drink and all that crap.
    It's a social event organised by non-drinkers, if drinkers want to come along, fair enough but they should buy into the spirit of the trip as a bit of sober fun.
    That's my 2 cents worth, take it or leave it.

Advertisement