Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamaha TDR or Honda Varadero

• 04-02-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Looking at getting one of these two bikes. it will be my first bike and im pretty tall so they seems like the right kind. I will be getting about a 2003 model. Which one would people think is the better bike? Its going to be a second mode of transport for just little trips and the like. I really love the look of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd go with the Honda, although TDM's are meant to be bulletproof as well. Either one is a good buy I'd say but what cc are you looking at? Not the 125cc I assume?

Anyway if this will be the first time on bikes, go check other threads here...it's very very different to sitting in a car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Hi
    nice time to buy a bike :)
    Depends on what you mean by little trips?
    Into town to buy a CD or a pair of jeans, TDM
    * Around the country, Varadero, no question

* I went to Kilkenny for a cupa tea, any excuse

You've obviously done some research, both are great bikes, enjoy
    (get lessons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I presume your on about the 125cc. I would definitely go for the TDR. I know they're only 125cc and are not gonna have mental power but the vardero seriously lacks power even for a 125.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if you mean th tdr 125 buy one they're great lol

if you mean the tdm buy that they are better

i live my tdm and i put 50,00 miles on a tdr engine (in a dtr) in less than a year with no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Go for the Varadero, it is a 4 stroke V twin with nice handling and no nasty surprises, very popular on the road.
    The Yam TDR 125 is a 2 stroke, needs oil and is very rare on the road.
    I bought the Varadero as a first bike having considered the TDR, 2 stroke put me off. need relaibility and got enough of it in buckets from the Varadero XL 125. Put up 67,800 miles on that bike and as far as I know it is still on the road. 75 MPG on long runs. :cool:

Now on an ER6F (650 cc paralell twin!) :D

• Advertisement

yeah but its twice as fast (at accelerating)

Tigger wrote: »
    yeah but its twice as fast (at accelerating)

Yeah, But will it start when you want it to start................................!

acually starting's no issue
    all stroker riders carry a hot plug and a spanner

no strokers just neec more love and attention

look op ride both then decide

but i've got a gixxer and i still like riding my 125 strokers

OP, ride both, TDr will be lighter (& faster!), Varadero is heavier (149Kgs) but always got comments that it looked like a 400 cc bike. Colleague of mine still misses his varadero (now has a CBR 600 RR)
    Best of luck with your endeavours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

It will be a 125cc. Just always wanted a bike of this style. will just be for short drives and maybe to work some days as i live quite near work, just about 5 miles. want something that i can enjoy but is not too crazy fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

Thanks for all the replies. ill let youse all know how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Best of luck with it either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i'd go with the TDM - the first thing you'll get annyoed with first on a 125 is the lack of speed... it'll leave ya itching to change..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I find the Varadero very heavy and powerless. They do look bigger and more powerful that they actually are. Down know anything about TDM.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1135892

something like this would be alot more powerful and alot lighter. Less complicated machine too.

Advertisement