Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Shopping Centre

Options
  • 04-02-2010 4:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2010/0203/1224263638080.html

A LARGE new shopping centre under construction in the north Dublin town of Balbriggan is easily the most significant retail development moving ahead in the present difficult business climate.

The €80 million project will include the largest Tesco store in the Dublin area and is due to open for business early in 2011.

Millfield Shopping Centre will have a total retail area of 17,000sq m (almost 183,000sq ft), including 30 unit shops and the Tesco store which will extend over two internal street levels – its first such configuration in Ireland.

Around 300 workers are presently employed in the construction of the centre and a further 450 jobs are expected to be created when the centre opens for business.

Construction of the 952-space basement car park is almost complete and, as well as the high class shopping facilities, developer Parkway is to provide a broad mix of other facilities including two civic plazas, a medical centre, leisure complex and a large restaurant and café area.

The overall design has been handled by noted architects AD Wejchert, whose work in the retail area has included Blanchardstown Town Centre and the Gaiety Centre in Dublin’s South King Street, where the tenants include Zara, HM and Warehouse. The design takes full advantage of the location with a 110-metre curving glazed street forming the spine of the centre and culminating in large “lantern bays” with panoramic views over Balbriggan.

Stephen Murray of Jones Lang LaSalle, letting agents along with Savills, says Balbriggan was officially the fastest growing “large town” in Ireland but suffered from a lack of retail facilities.

For obvious reasons there is a strong demand for a centre such as Millfield which would act as the main shopping and services hub for the north Fingal region, he said. The excellent access from the improved local road network, including the link to the nearby M1, means less hassle for shoppers.

Murray says that the layout of the shopping centre has been significantly revised during the design stage to include a convenience shopping-led scheme with complementary branded retailers and fashion shopping rather than a comparison fashion-led scheme.

“These design revisions have borne fruit as it is the only major retail project in the country to have commenced construction in the past 12 months,” he says.

The letting agents say that Millfield has what they call a “rental tone” of the order of €500 per sq m (€46.45 per sq ft). Around two-thirds of the space is either contracted or in legals, according to Murray.

Units already committed are for a butchers, restaurant, dry cleaners, barbers, betting office, computer games and hair salon. Negotiations are also advanced with pharmacy operators and decisions are due shortly from a number of fashion retailers.

Murray says that with the shopping centre due to open in the spring of 2011 – by which time most commentators are expecting that an economic recovery will be well on the way – it seems set to be the first new scheme to benefit from a “proportionate and sustainable form of retail development”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I'm surprised that it will open as late as Spring 2011. I remember when they were building Clare Hall and it opened within something like 14 months of commencement works. They've already put in half of the roundabout at the entrance to Westbrook so I think it will be only a short while before we can expect to negotiate another roundabout on the Naul Road.

Hopefully it will do something to alleviate the unemployment in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Fingers crossed for a swimming pool in the lesuire complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Eoineo wrote: »
    Hopefully it will do something to alleviate the unemployment in the town.

I would like to thinkmost if not all jobs will be kept within a few miles of Balbriggan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

I wonder if Tesco will be a 24 hour jobbie?

Certainly agree on the local empolyment issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Mona Lott wrote: »
    I wonder if Tesco will be a 24 hour jobbie?

Certainly agree on the local empolyment issue

Well lets hope the politicans are breaking the rules and applying pressure on Tesco to employ locals. Oh and maybe Fingal growers and producers will get a better deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mixed feelings here.

I work in and run a business in Balbriggan and see the volume of vacant units on the main street every day.

This will make that worse but will be good for the town in the long term.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

RobFowl wrote: »
    Mixed feelings here.

I work in and run a business in Balbriggan and see the volume of vacant units on the main street every day.

This will make that worse but will be good for the town in the long term.

Yeah it is disappointing to see empty units along the main st and so so many take aways.
    Maybe the shopping centre will help though and companies that can not afford to open in the centre will open on the main st as people will be travelling ot the shopping centre anyway so there will be passing trade?
    I dunno but if Drogheda didn't have the shopping centres I wouldn't have a clue what the main st looks like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Where will this shopping centre be situated?

Opposite the Naul Road entrance to the Westbrook estate. Just slightly towards the M1 from the graveyard.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Ah, okay. Thanks. There's a lot of building going on down at the Castle Mill shops, I was worried it would be there. I know the signs say that they're building a leisure complex, pool and creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Lillylilly wrote: »
    Ah, okay. Thanks. There's a lot of building going on down at the Castle Mill shops, I was worried it would be there. I know the signs say that they're building a leisure complex, pool and creche.

That project is going to be the brand spanking new building for the Educate Together, long time coming, can't wait for it to open in May!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Helmet wrote: »
    That project is going to be the brand spanking new building for the Educate Together, long time coming, can't wait for it to open in May!!!

Will all the facilities be open in May do you know? A leisure centre and swimming pool would be great to have around Balbriggan.

As for the other shopping centre I just wonder is there enough demand out there for a huge shopping centre in Balbriggan, with centres already in Swords, Clarehall, Drogheda and plenty of supermarkets around the town..Tescos (albeit a small one), Super Value, Dunnes, Lidl etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

EF wrote: »
    Will all the facilities be open in May do you know? A leisure centre and swimming pool would be great to have around Balbriggan.

It's just the school. As far as I know the site of the current temporary buildings for Educate Together is to be developed into the leisure centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Yea at the castle mill shopping centre they are building the new educate together school and a sign is up on the existing site basically advertising a site for a swimming pool and leisure centre- it appears no develops are biting at the moment!
    Didn't notice a roundabout anywhere being built at the graveyard? Also- are they going to build a direct road toward the castle mill from the Naul rd? Traffic will be mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think that this can do nothing but good for balbriggan. I worked for a business in Balbriggan and we closed. We noticed the biggest problem with balbriggan is not that business does not locate there its that no one spends there.

For balbriggan to survive business wise it needs to draw people in and where this is planned just off the motorway is perfect

Also- are they going to build a direct road toward the castle mill from the Naul rd? Traffic will be mental!

IIRC there was originally meant to be a road built along that route but it was ditched. Fingal CoCo would be the place to start asking if you're really interested.

I think that there is a demand for a large supermarket in the area. Most people with families that I know of would travel either up to Drogheda or down to Swords to do a large grocery shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Láidir

The employment this could bring to the town is promising but talking to a few of the small businesses around town, they are really worried that this thing could finish them. I live just down the road from it and its a real eyesore when i go to work every morning and really think the road by Georges school is still far too narrow and the roundabout they built is pathetic. The volume of traffic is a risk to the school children aswell. Anyway just my thoughts hopefully it does a greater good at little cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Láidir wrote: »
    The employment this could bring to the town is promising but talking to a few of the small businesses around town, they are really worried that this thing could finish them. I live just down the road from it and its a real eyesore when i go to work every morning and really think the road by Georges school is still far too narrow and the roundabout they built is pathetic. The volume of traffic is a risk to the school children aswell. Anyway just my thoughts hopefully it does a greater good at little cost.

the road up to just before the school has been seriously broadened and I noticed a road into the centre has been put in there (just a wee bit before the roundabout) so hopefully that's where the entrance will be.

Now, if I was a shopkeeper in the brixter, I would defo be looking at moving over to Millfield. Echo Clothing and Eagleton Shoes could do a serious amount of business over there.

I see the council now also has introduced a HALF AND HOUR free parking in the town (vs. free parking at Millfield) which is a frigging joke. It's ridiculing the request in the first place... an insult even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

couple of recent articles:

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/millfield-shopping-centre-to-open-in-april-2542449.html
    MILLFIELD Shopping centre Balbriggan is the only major shopping centre to start construction in Ireland in the last two years and is due to open in April.

Being built at a cost of €50m, it will accommodate 30 stores which will employ about 450 people.

Picture shows Kevin McCormack of the developer Parkway Properties, with Tony Keohane, chief executive, Tesco Ireland, examining building progress.

Tesco Ireland sources a large proportion of their fresh vegetables from growers in North County Dublin . Estate agents Savills are quoting around €400 per sqm for retail rents in the centre depending on size and location

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/tenants-are-secured-for-food-court-at-millfield-2521824.html
    Parkway Properties has secured a number of tenants for the food court at the Millfield Centre, a new shopping centre which is due to open in Balbriggan at Easter.

Tesco are currently fitting out what will be their largest store in Dublin, covering a total of 10,207sqm. Overall the scheme features 30 retail units over a two-level mall and a small number of external units and about two thirds of all units have been reserved.

Joint letting agents Savills and Jones Lang laSalle have announced that the new lettings for the centre's food court are Graham O'Sullivan, BB's Coffee and Muffins and O'Brien's Sandwich Bar.

Graham O'Sullivan is taking 261sqm, the largest of the four units. The agents are quoting €485 per sqm for the units.

BB's are planning to open with their new contemporary fit out in a unit measuring c. 175sqm.

O'Brien's Sandwich bars, always a popular offering within a food court, will open in a unit measuring c. 133sqm

And of course, McDonald's will be gracing us with their presence as well.

Apparently, the R122 Naul Road will be closed next week as well, no mention of it on FingalCoCo website though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yesterday's Sunday Business Post have said that Easons and Carphone Warehouse have signed up for Millfield also. Eason's will be a great addition to the town!

Bye bye local traders. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

That's great news if Easons is going in. I hope that the town centre doesn't suffer too much.

Does anyone know what will happen to the old Balbriggan Shopping Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

I would shop more on the main street only for those darn parking machines on the main street. Also as a commuter most shops on main street are closed when need to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dead air wrote: »
    That's great news if Easons is going in. I hope that the town centre doesn't suffer too much.

Does anyone know what will happen to the old Balbriggan Shopping Centre?

Where's this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Where's this?

It's where the present Tesco's is. Opposite De Bruns on Drogheda street with the Car park opening onto high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's where the present Tesco's is. Opposite De Bruns on Drogheda street with the Car park opening onto high street.

Ah yes I always forget about the shops to the side. It's a horrible horrible place........... or has it changed in the 6 years or so since I've been there?

Ah yes I always forget about the shops to the side. It's a horrible horrible place........... or has it changed in the 6 years or so since I've been there?

It has, Now all the shop units downstairs are now empty .........

Actually the chemists moved back around the corner there about a month or so ago. They're still open beside Xtra-vision too.

I'm pretty sure the whole shopping centre/hotel belongs to the Moriarty Group - who also own SuperValu. The hotel definitely does. Tesco is a tenant in there, they don't own it. I can't see them moving to redesign it anytime soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

Think the chemist moving back in there was temporary.

Advertisement