Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Eoineo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the whole shopping centre/hotel belongs to the Moriarty Group - who also own SuperValu.
    The Shopping Centre has nothing to do with Moriarty, it is owned by an individual and has been for pretty much all it's existence since it opened where Quinnsworth and then Tesco were/are the main paying tenant (as you say). Planning permission was granted a number of years back to develop from the car park up and all around the roof top units so there is a precedence if this planning has lapsed. The planning was mostly residential.

No doubt we'll hear voices all around the town over the next number of months about how Millfield is destroying the town centre. I'm going to preempt this by saying that firstly the BSC is a **** hole who is the master of it's own destiny, and secondly the chemists, fast food outlets, bookmakers and convenience stores which litter the main street have made hay while the sun shone so a bit of competition will do them no harm, I'm sure they have made handsome profits over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Thanks Bluetonic.

I admit that it will be refreshing to be able to go shopping in the Balbriggan area in areas that are accessible. That has been a major bugbear of mine for a long time. Many shops aren't accessible with buggies or wheelchairs (more important); pavements are bocket;, little or no automatic doors; massive steps to get in/out of stores; cluttered aisles etc.

As I said earlier, many families travel outside of Balbriggan for their grocery & other shopping. It will be a change to see people travelling into Balbriggan instead.

The difficulty is that with the main drag becoming more and more derelict in places and entertainment/takeaway focussed in others, it is becoming an attraction for anti-social behaviour. If there were thriving businesses down the town it would encourage less of this and create more of a "buzz" and a sense of community which can sometimes be lacking.

The hubby has spotted signs saying that the supermarket will open on 11 April next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The hubby has spotted signs saying that the supermarket will open on 11 April next.

It must be delayed my inside source told me March 26th last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Tesco staff in town told me that the shop was closing on 28th and reopening on 30th in Millfield.

• Advertisement

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Tesco staff in town told me that the shop was closing on 28th and reopening on 30th in Millfield.

You might be right, they be keen to get the supermarket up and running before the rest of the centre. I don't suppose they will keep an Express store in the main street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Corsendonk wrote: »
    You might be right, they be keen to get the supermarket up and running before the rest of the centre. I don't suppose they will keep an Express store in the main street?

no its defo closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Was driving behind the local "Town Bus" 104 which had a big sign on it saying Tesco now open. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Swordsdave

Think Aldi to take over old tesco in town centre so i heard?

It's very unusual for Aldi to take on an existing premises. Are you sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Looks like the millfield website has been recently updated.

http://millfieldbalbriggan.com/

Says that the centre is opening on April 11th.

It says the centre is opening on 11th of April. Tesco may be opening sooner. :D I'd be keeping an eye on the entrances over the next week. If the shop down the town is closing tomorrow as another poster mentioned there is a chance that the Supermarket itself may open to customers by the end of the coming week.

It says the centre is opening on 11th of April. Tesco may be opening sooner. :D I'd be keeping an eye on the entrances over the next week. If the shop down the town is closing tomorrow as another poster mentioned there is a chance that the Supermarket itself may open to customers by the end of the coming week.

Might be Monday then, my tip off said the 26th and they cant afford to miss a few days trade by not having a Tesco in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

the tesco is defo opened the tenth,thats a fact as they say

rpurfield wrote: »
    the tesco is defo opened the tenth,thats a fact as they say
    Indeed.

They are starting to pack out the non perishables from tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Is there any word on what other shops will be available in the new Centre? The posters only list
    - Tesco (obviously)
    - Easons
    - Holland and Barrett
    - Gamestop
    - McDonalds

And the rather nebulous "Much, much more". Anything else on the grapevine? The Millfield web site is still the one for the Estate Agents / Construction company.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Is there any word on what other shops will be available in the new Centre? The posters only list
    - Tesco (obviously)
    - Easons
    - Holland and Barrett
    - Gamestop
    - McDonalds

And the rather nebulous "Much, much more". Anything else on the grapevine? The Millfield web site is still the one for the Estate Agents / Construction company.
    I read that the food court will have an O Briens Sandwich Bar, BB Muffins and a Graham O Sullivan restaurant

ac20 wrote: »
    I read that the food court will have an O Briens Sandwich Bar, BB Muffins and a Graham O Sullivan restaurant
    Yes the article is on post #21

ac20 wrote: »

Very much like the Clarehall format it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hmm - Very little to attract custom outside of the massive Tesco, really.

• Advertisement

Hmm - Very little to attract custom outside of the massive Tesco, really.

Well Tesco sells so much from Grocery to electronics, DVDs, chemists, photo development, clothes.........would you want your shop next to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I was thinking the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 biscuitcake

From what I've heard there's also a Vero Moda and a Jack and Jones due to go into the new centre.

From what I've heard there's also a Vero Moda and a Jack and Jones due to go into the new centre.

Bestseller Retail - who run the 2 stores above went into interim examinership last year. A good number of their stores were closed and never re-opened. I'd not be so sure that they will now be in the new centre.

Other Confirmed Tenants Are:

Carphone Warehouse
    Easons
    Gamestop
    Gleeson's Butchers
    Notionz Gift Shop
    More 4 Less (Euro Discount Store)
    O'Briens Sandwich Bar
    Graham O'Sullivan
    BB's Coffee & Muffins
    McDonalds
    Holland & Barrett

According to the agents press releases they are also in the process of negotiating for a betting shop, dry cleaners, barbers and hairdressers which should open in April. The Tesco Anchor store itself will be the second in the country to have a Tesco Own-Brand Opticians which will be located beside the clothing.

Bestseller Retail - who run the 2 stores above went into interim examinership last year. A good number of their stores were closed and never re-opened. I'd not be so sure that they will now be in the new centre.

Other Confirmed Tenants Are:

Carphone Warehouse
    Easons
    Gamestop
    Gleeson's Butchers
    Notionz Gift Shop
    More 4 Less (Euro Discount Store)
    O'Briens Sandwich Bar
    Graham O'Sullivan
    BB's Coffee & Muffins
    McDonalds
    Holland & Barrett

According to the agents press releases they are also in the process of negotiating for a betting shop, dry cleaners, barbers and hairdressers which should open in April. The Tesco Anchor store itself will be the first in the country to have a Tesco Own-Brand Opticians which will be located beside the clothing.

Very good, do you happen to know if Tesco Extra will selling one of these?

I need one for soup.....

I don't know, you'd have to ask Tesco - no association with them whatsoever. I'm just a Joe Soap who happens to know where to find estate agents press releases. :D

The Tesco Anchor store itself will be the first in the country to have a Tesco Own-Brand Opticians which will be located beside the clothing.
    There is already one in Naas. This will be the second one in ROI.

Planning permission has gone in recently for a 12 pump filling station on site beside the McDonalds, presumably it will be a Tesco run garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paburke

I must say I am glad the new store is opening. My brother lives in Sallins and the have a new tesco extra. They also have a superValu which was really expensive. They have dropped their prices since. He couldn't believe how much more supervalu in balbriggan were charging compared to supervalu in Sallins. I was shopping there last week and they only had one trolly till opened! I went to pay for my groceries at the offlicence as my baby daughter was gettin impatient in the trolly. They were really rude to me and were rolling their eyes at my daughters behaviour telling me to go and wait at another till, you would think that they would try to be nicer to their customers in view of tesco opening so close. I have been shopping at supervalu for the last seven years and I can tell you as soon as Tesco opens I wont be back!

According to Philip Boucher Hayes on Twitter earlier today; for every 20 new jobs that a Tesco Extra creates, 30 local jobs are lost. He'll apparently be reporting from the new store in Naas on their experiences on Drivetime this evening. It should make for interesting listening.

I think that people are going to vote with their purses/wallets. To be fair paburke I've never had an experience like that in SuperValu. Their food is expensive though.

• Advertisement

According to Philip Boucher Hayes on Twitter earlier today; for every 20 new jobs that a Tesco Extra creates, 30 local jobs are lost. He'll apparently be reporting from the new store in Naas on their experiences on Drivetime this evening. It should make for interesting listening.

Hence the reason such sites like this exist

http://www.tescopoly.org/

They secured a Banking Licence in Ireland so you can have your mortgage with them now soon.

It standard practice for Tesco Extra Stores to have petrol stations, run by Tesco.

Advertisement