Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thedeal

Do you honestly think Tesco would spend so many millions opening this store if they tought for one minute they would not make money beacuse of the other two stores they have in Clare Hall and Drogheda?

Shopping Centre is built now so nothing can be done just be happy they have employed so many people and as for the town having lots of fast food outlet and pubs, these fast food outlets have been popping up a long time now and Luke Moriarty wasnt to bothered to lease all shops around his Super Valu to fast food outlets now was he?

Only bad thing about the new shopping centre imo is that they have an entrance and exit at the small round-a-bout which is a bit tight, think this should only be pedestian access.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duck67

Over 400 jobs for the town and there is people giving out about the place,
    Bucket of cop on please,

Also Dunnes stores sent me out similar vouchers to tesco , 10e off when spending over 30, 4 week promo,

Got those vouchers today aswell, good news for the shoppers in Balbriggan at least for the first few weeks we will get good deals from the competition!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hang on a sec, 400 jobs for the town? 400 jobs yes, but are you certain 400 people got jobs who reside in balbriggan?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Morphéus wrote: »
    Hang on a sec, 400 jobs for the town? 400 jobs yes, but are you certain 400 people got jobs who reside in balbriggan?
    I am not sure what you point is - a job is a job. I am sure there are lots of people living in Balbriggan who work elsewhere (as the comments regarding rush-hour traffic support)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Beasty wrote: »
    I am not sure what you point is - a job is a job. I am sure there are lots of people living in Balbriggan who work elsewhere (as the comments regarding rush-hour traffic support)
    Exactly. Lets hope the best people for the jobs got the jobs, regardless or where they are from, colour, creed, who they know, etc.., etc..,

Agree 100% unemployment problem is National and not local so the more people who are employed the better off the country will be in the long term!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orlaeryn

We got the vouchers also. Went up this morning for a quick look around, it looks great. The Tesco is impressive and wasn't too busy at that time ( about 11am).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Traffics mental up there coming from m1 heading to Harry reynolds road. It backed up well b4 the small roundabout, i went back around to the other side of the graveyard and it was just as bad lol! I agree the place is claustrophobic but i DISAGREE that traffic will abate in the coming months. The place is like a ghost town at the moment and will be (hopefully) thriving as more stores open.
    Is parking on the main street now free as mentioned earlier then? The signs for pay and display are still up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Parking is only free for certain hours. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

We were up there on Monday, crazy busy but seems like a good spot.

From the looks of our online banking seems they had problems with their laser card systems overcharged by 13% and charged again at the correct amount. Anyone else use laser card for purchases and have weirdness on their online bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Pimp Ninja wrote: »

From the looks of our online banking seems they had problems with their laser card systems overcharged by 13% and charged again at the correct amount. Anyone else use laser card for purchases and have weirdness on their online bank?

I've heard that they may have charged in sterling rather than euro in error on laser cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

WRT to traffic. Myself and Mrs.bcmf took a stroll up there today. On the entrance closest to M1 there is a sign about halfway up the 'driveway' withe directions to M1 etc. Maybe there will be another entrance that will take the traffic. At the roundabout at the EEC hardware store there is another entrance albeit blocked off that seems to lead in the direction of Millfield. I know there were industrial units planned for in there so maybe there will be access from there.

bcmf wrote: »
    Maybe there will be another entrance that will take the traffic. At the roundabout at the EEC hardware store there is another entrance albeit blocked off that seems to lead in the direction of Millfield. I know there were industrial units planned for in there so maybe there will be access from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I've heard that they may have charged in sterling rather than euro in error on laser cards.

Yes that is what happened. They where charging in sterling. I overheard one of the staff on the phone up there today telling a customer the money will be refunded to their card in the next couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Heading down tomorrow for a gander - memo to self -don't use laser card!

Thanks Frank and sgarvan for the confirmation, unfortunately for me, the 2 charges have put me into my overdraft and I'm now subject to overlimit charges from my bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

tan11ie wrote: »
    Heading down tomorrow for a gander - memo to self -don't use laser card!

I am sure it is sorted by now. We used the laser card while there tonight so hopefully it is sorted.
    Thanks Frank and sgarvan for the confirmation, unfortunately for me, the 2 charges have put me into my overdraft and I'm now subject to overlimit charges from my bank.

Request that Tesco pay your overdraft charges. Its their fault not yours

sgarvan wrote: »
    Request that Tesco pay your overdraft charges. Its their fault not yours
    I intend to if the bank won't waive the charges.

My initial feeling when I discussed it with my bank today was that Tesco had made a mistake alright. I just couldn't figure out what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Went there today for a look around. Looks well inside. Only problem is the underground parking. Very very tight between kerbs going into and out of parking area. Will be using the surface carpark from now on :)

• Advertisement

that development plan looks a bloody disaster.

I must repeat....Change is not good, change is not good, change is not good.....

Morphéus wrote: »
    that development plan looks a bloody disaster.

It was compiled at a time when Balbriggan was set to become one of 3 urban centres for Fingal County Council. The other 2 being Blanchardstown & Swords. The level of economic growth was expected to continue and the planners were hoping that the whole Stephenstown area would become a commercial hub.

That hasn't happened and I would be interested in seeing what happens to the land in the future. If you're interested in what happens to the town it would be worth your while monitoring the proposed Bremore Port project also. As soon as I have more information to hand on their new revised plan I'll start another thread though.

I hope bremore port DOESNT go ahead.

It will mess up a beautiful part of our coast line which is unspoiled all the way from balbriggan to drogheda. on an aside, it will also effect the Gormanston area coastal artillery range as the ONLY location in the country that can be used for Air to Sea firing, for Anti Aircraft training and for infantry range practices.

Change IS good, if it is well planned and thought out change with majority support of the local community and evaluation of the full environmental impact of that change and not just pushed through by stupid local authorities and councillors. just like the lack of serious considerations and forethought that went into the new part of the town such as Moylaragh, cardy rock, Chieftains Way et al... and before ANYONE jumps on me, I LIVE in Chieftains way.

Interestingly. If you're near a computer and have time to flick on a livestream, the local area committee of Fingal County Council are discussing the roads around Millfield this afternoon. They're about halfway through the meeting so I would think it will be within the next hour or so.

I've just been and i must say I'm impressed with Tesco, great selection of goods. It may save the regular trips to drogheda now! If Pennys was add it would be super!

I'm off back over in a while they have boxes of 20 coors light for €15 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭LimeTime

tan11ie wrote: »
    I've just been and i must say I'm impressed with Tesco, great selection of goods. It may save the regular trips to drogheda now! If Pennys was add it would be super!

I'm off back over in a while they have boxes of 20 coors light for €15 :D

Was debating whether to go or not, tomorrow. Now I'm definitely going!:P

LimeTime wrote: »
    Was debating whether to go or not, tomorrow. Now I'm definitely going!:P

I've just stocked up...now for the weather :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I was in Tesco tonight and I spotted a 150g packet of Tayto Bistro reduced from €2.34 to €2.33. They even highlighted the saving of one cent. I should have taken a picture of it.

Advertisement