Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Interesting rumour!

Apparently, over 60 staff have been let go from Tesco since it opened, and for the most innocuous of reasons. Apparently an earlier posters prediction of opening under the fanfare of x amount of new jobs, then whittleing down the numbers once opened appear true.

I have this figure on very good authority, but I'll still label it a "rumour" for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Interesting rumour!

Apparently, over 60 staff have been let go from Tesco since it opened, and for the most innocuous of reasons. Apparently an earlier posters prediction of opening under the fanfare of x amount of new jobs, then whittleing down the numbers once opened appear true.

I have this figure on very good authority, but I'll still label it a "rumour" for the time being.

Where'd you hear that? Was in again on Tuesday- Gamestop is open- no easons or any of the other stores advertised and no dates for opening and all vacancies have to let written on them, so i'm assuming the worst! Hoping for the best!

Oh, i forgot, was in cru barbers today getting a chop and the dude in there (castlemill) said the new cru in millfield was hoping tomorrow, and that both shops would remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Interesting rumour!

I must say when I read this first I couldn't believe it but I was talking to a fella "in the know" this evening and he somewhat confirmed your story. He said that 60 staff have vacated their roles by being let go or quitting. He reckons that a high number of these were staff taken on with 8 week contracts in order to get the shop up and running and that most of these people would have known this from the outset. I was also told that a number of staff have quit due to not liking the work, conditions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

With the annual rent for the smallest unit in the centre coming in at €38,000 plus rates of €12,000 on top of that, I can't see many of the units being snapped up.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I must say when I read this first I couldn't believe it but I was talking to a fella "in the know" this evening and he somewhat confirmed your story. He said that 60 staff have vacated their roles by being let go or quitting. He reckons that a high number of these were staff taken on with 8 week contracts in order to get the shop up and running and that most of these people would have known this from the outset. I was also told that a number of staff have quit due to not liking the work, conditions etc.

Natural Wastage I believe is the HR term. Its standard practice, large organisations are fairly predictable because their so large, everything is run on set routinues and manuals to standardise operations throughout the world. They well ween out a few more before the 12 week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was also told that a number of staff have quit due to not liking the work, conditions etc.

In fairness, the conditions can't be that bad. It is a totally new store, after all.

As for the work...it's a tesco, not a firm of engineers. Stock shelves, mop floors, operate tills. Hard to see what else they were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've heard that it's a world of difference between working in the old Tesco compared to the new Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Interesting rumour!

Was talking to one of the people that where let go. He said he was let go was because the shop said they had to cut 600 man hours.

I heard that some people left because they where required to work more than the 20 hours that they can and still claim welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

lads that deal I was telling you about is still on, get down there fast..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Natural Wastage I believe is the HR term. Its standard practice, large organisations are fairly predictable because their so large, everything is run on set routinues and manuals to standardise operations throughout the world. They well ween out a few more before the 12 week period.

Finding the balance between natural wastage and driving staff demented with their manuals is quite a task. You can be sure quite a few more will go before the 12 weeks are up.

What I have found over the years is there is no manual can operate a place like experienced staff. I see this in An Post and in areas where there are problems the cute D.S.Ms consult the staff as they usually are the ones who have the better understanding of how things work best in a lot of cases.

LeoB wrote: »
    What I have found over the years is there is no manual can operate a place like experienced staff. I see this in An Post and in areas where there are problems the cute D.S.Ms consult the staff as they usually are the ones who have the better understanding of how things work best in a lot of cases.

True but the bottomline that matters to Tesco and their shareholders is that they make a profit and return a very healthy dividend each year to the city. Not wishing to tarnish An Post but Tesco are in the Champions League of Profitable companies while An Post would be LOI.

True but the bottomline that matters to Tesco and their shareholders is that they make a profit and return a very healthy dividend each year to the city. Not wishing to tarnish An Post but Tesco are in the Champions League of Profitable companies while An Post would be LOI.

Now theres a kick in rocks!!;)

I agree with you re Tescos only concern is the profits the return to shareholders.

As for An Post NO operating losses in quite a few years despite what they publish. Huge investment in buildings, automation and fleet upgrades. €48 million in the last 16months. Think we are a little above L.O.I but point taken.

Seeing as they moved on site in Rush last week it might be time to start a thread on Tesco Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

So tarnish the name of the League instead, nice :mad:

What would be the best course of action for leavin a CV with Tesco? I'v left one at the Customer Service Desk once I heard people were leaving their jobs but havent heard anything back.

So tarnish the name of the League instead, nice :mad:

What would be the best course of action for leavin a CV with Tesco? I'v left one at the Customer Service Desk once I heard people were leaving their jobs but havent heard anything back.

You might not hear back at all. They load the place with staff at the start but cut back on staff as things settle down.. You should keep an eye on developments in Rush as they have moved in to their site accross from the Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I'v got my eye on it, Leo. Cheers.

Well you have two options

A) If your a pretty boy you can stick your photo on the CV like the eastern europeans do.

B) Go the old fashioned Irish Root, find out if any of your family or friends know anyone that works in Tesco so they can hand in your CV to their PM and put in a good word for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Is the recruitment centre down beside the FAS office in the BEAT Centre not still open? That's how they were looking at all new candidates - rather than through stores.

Eoineo wrote: »
    Is the recruitment centre down beside the FAS office in the BEAT Centre not still open? That's how they were looking at all new candidates - rather than through stores.

I'm fairly sure that was s temporary facility for the group hiring at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

I'm fairly sure that was s temporary facility for the group hiring at the start.
    The sign was still there up to early last week. I will check later in the week if it is still there.

• Advertisement

I think your bang on the button there, before they opened Clarehall they had a sign for a recruitment centre beside Bewleys at Northern Cross and that was removed a week or so after. Why pay consultants/staff to run an outside office when they can be put to better use in a working store?

Did anyone see the front of Fingal today? edited!!!

I think that was temporary place for recruitment ok. If the sign is still up would this come under the litter act?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

No no no - nothing to do with the prices in products, more to do with the increase in rates the shopkeepers have to pay to Fingal Co Co

Nodster wrote: »
    No no no - nothing to do with the prices in products, more to do with the increase in rates the shopkeepers have to pay to Fingal Co Co

Will happily delete my post if incorrect. Just glanced at headlines and cant find it online either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

LeoB wrote: »
    Will happily delete my post if incorrect. Just glanced at headlines and cant find it online either.

Mine gone aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Up there today with the last of the 10 yoyo vouchers and it will be my last visit for a while. Too many petty little annoyances.

1 The access to the underground car park is ridiculous. If they were constrained for land I could understand but its an accident waiting to happen and I just wont go shopping without the Bentley.

2 No trolleys in the shop. "You'll have to go back down to the car park and bring one up, Sir"

3 Third time that I spotted on the receipt that a "special" had not been applied - this time before I got home. Over to customer service, wait for the manager, wait while the manager goes to check it out ( i had taken a photo on the mobile ), back to the car the get the product so they can scan it in, and i'm out of there.

Really put me off Tesco and I think I'll be going out of my way to give my business locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

SeaSide wrote: »
    3 Third time that I spotted on the receipt that a "special" had not been applied - this time before I got home. Over to customer service, wait for the manager, wait while the manager goes to check it out ( i had taken a photo on the mobile ), back to the car the get the product so they can scan it in, and i'm out of there.

But you get it free in Tesco when they get the price wrong.

In Tesco's Celbridge one Thursday evening I noticed the Lion Bars were 5 cent more than they were supposed to be. So grabbed all 25 of them, paid at the register, went to customer service and got all my money back. We had Lion Bar Friday in work the following day!

Got 4 kilos of free steak mince on another day.

But you get it free in Tesco when they get the price wrong.

In Tesco's Celbridge one Thursday evening I noticed the Lion Bars were 5 cent more than they were supposed to be. So grabbed all 25 of them, paid at the register, went to customer service and got all my money back. We had Lion Bar Friday in work the following day!

Got 4 kilos of free steak mince on another day.

Yes have a friend that shops checking for wrong pricing in Tesco, then when he gets over charged he walks the manager around the store getting the products free, sometimes do they only want to refund the difference. Their policy seems to change by store and how forceful the manager and customer are with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I am aware of that however becomes a little academic if you dont spot it before you leave the shop and then its a judgement call whether its worthwhile driving back. mostly its not.

• Advertisement

SeaSide wrote: »
    I am aware of that however becomes a little academic if you dont spot it before you leave the shop and then its a judgement call whether its worthwhile driving back. mostly its not.

Just because its not worth your while does no way take away from the fact that its an excellant policy. One that others would do well to follow.

Advertisement