Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popups?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 4:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Does boards have popup ads now? been going on the past week or 2 when i go to this site. using firefox on windows xp fyi :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No popups for me. Your browser been hijacked maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ditto none for me either. I think somebody else had similar recently and it was some malware that found its way into their browser.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

i had that issue a good while ago now, it was a daft.ie ad appearing in a pop up window (advertising that live design light thingy on the Liberty Hall building).

wasnt malware though and it stopped happening. I think it was actually AVG causing the problem as switching from AVG (free) to ESET (paid) stopped it. Happened in IE and firefox with popups disabled (but FF didnt have noscript installed at the time either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I can confirm that we do not have (and as long as I work here, I will do my best to make sure that we *never* have) pop-up advertising. Not sure what might be causing it Jazzy, so maybe give LoLth's suggestion a look.

Dav

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LoLth wrote: »
    I think it was actually AVG causing the problem as switching from AVG (free) to ESET (paid) stopped it. Happened in IE and firefox with popups disabled (but FF didnt have noscript installed at the time either).
    I've been using AVG free for years and it's never been a problem

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ahh i see, alright cheers. i think lolth's reasoning seems like the most logical as avg has been running kinda weird for the last few weeks. boards just seemed to be the most common site this happened on. never happens on facebook or football365 so i was trying to narrow it down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I've been using AVG free for years and it's never been a problem

so was I before this started happening. i was changing to Eset anyway and the pop ups stopped when I did. No idea if it was the change that stopped them or something else but a reinstall of AVG didnt stop them popping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Let us know how you get on with it Jazzy - if we can get some more details to help people out if it crops up again, we'll add a section to the FAQ or something like that.

Dav

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I'm having a similar issue but i presumed it was due to me no longer being a subscriber...

ill check the exact nature of the popups later tonight when im home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jazzy wrote: »
    ahh i see, alright cheers. i think lolth's reasoning seems like the most logical as avg has been running kinda weird for the last few weeks. boards just seemed to be the most common site this happened on. never happens on facebook or football365 so i was trying to narrow it down

There has been an almighty increase in virus/spyware/malware over the past few weeks so I'd run a few scans on your PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement