Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Merseyside Derby - SS1 06/02 @12.45

• 04-02-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

derby.jpg

Arguably the most evenly balanced, hard to call derby for years. Everton— a long ways from 1-6 to Arsenal to start the season, now on 32 points and rising. Unbeaten in the league since November. Last loss? 0-2 to Liverpool at Goodison. Liverpool—winners on Saturday against Bolton, but winners of two straight matches only twice all season. If Liverpool are to keep pace with the other challengers for the fourth spot, three points here are a necessity. This week, there is nothing else that comes close to what awaits Anfield on Saturday afternoon.

From a blue's perspective, we're looking to Tim Cahill, who seems to be bang on form again to cause Kyriakos problems and also to the partnership of Baines and Pienaar to expose Carragher. With Riera looking like a player again, we'll have to be careful of him but I'm confident we can get a result.

With that said I've seen us go into this game in flying form and get a hammering and seen us be bottom of the league and get a point. Who knows? It's a derby, form goes out the window they say.

I can't wait.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Abandoned after 57 minutes as it will have put thousands asleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

everton's resurgence in form has me a bit worried about this.

with Fellaini in awesome form, the midfield is going to be a key area.

if Masch and Lucas can gain control there, i think Stevie is due a big game now and can go get us the win.

Kyrgiakos needs to nullify the aerial threat of Cahill too.

i'm going to stick my neck out for a 2-1 Liverpool.

Stevie, Lucas...then Saha with the consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Th Everton games are the biggest games every season for me.

3-1 to Liverpool, mainly because I love meeting Everton when they are on a run of good form, as they tend to slip up against us when they are like that.

Kuyt, Lucas, and Babel.

There will be a fourth goal, but that will be disallowed as it will be scored by me after I run onto the pitch, skin the Everton back four and thunder a shot into the back of the net.

Then as I leave the pitch, Sammy Lee distracts Moyes by doing an Irish jig, giving me the time to sneak up and plant my forehead onto Moyes' nose. :D

Everton, the team I love to hate, but that has some of the best supporters I have ever met.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

With Felanni playing as he is, I think that it's a callback for Lucas with Aqua back to the bench.

Kess73 wrote: »

Everton, the team I love to hate, but that has some of the best supporters I have ever met.:)

i know 3 Everton fans, proper Scousers, who know full well I'm Red through and through, and I've never met 3 nicer, down-to-earth, do anything for you people in my life.

i'd met one of them for 5 minutes and he was offering me a ticket to the Goodison game this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

With Felanni playing as he is, I think that it's a callback for Lucas with Aqua back to the bench.
    Shouldn't matter too much as he usually sits deep anyway, except for set pieces. It'll be Osman, Cahill, Pienaar and Donovan in front of the Fell

Voltwad wrote: »
    Shouldn't matter too much as he usually sits deep anyway, except for set pieces. It'll be Osman, Cahill, Pienaar and Donovan in front of the Fell

all of whom i'd expect Masch and Lucas to bully the sh*t out of.

if Fellaini doesn't get involved in that battle, i think it'll make it very difficult for Everton to get anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I meant it more as Aqua wouldn't get much of an opertunity against Felani, while Luacs could be more effective at his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

In terms of atmosphere and excitement, probably the worst derby around.

Anyway, I reckon Liverpool will win it 1-0.

sorry that we don't want to kill each other like the Tyne/Wear affair.

the atmosphere is still excellent, it's just we can live with each other.

is there something wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

SlickRic wrote: »
    i know 3 Everton fans, proper Scousers, who know full well I'm Red through and through, and I've never met 3 nicer, down-to-earth, do anything for you people in my life.

i'd met one of them for 5 minutes and he was offering me a ticket to the Goodison game this season.

so you met an everton fan who was a ticket tout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is a 4-4-2 for Liverpool if there ever is one, Kuyt has to go up front with N'Gog.
    I'd leave Aquliani out of this just stick Lucas/Masch in the middle with Gerrard right and Riera left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Nah this is screaming 4-5-1 to me Ngog up front on his own and plenty in the midfield!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Liverpool have started doing something right of late. Four consecutive league wins at home, scoring 2 every time. Everton may not have lost a league game since November but I'm less optimistic about this game than I was. One month ago I couldn't wait to get into Liverpool, now I'm somewhat trepidacious.

I'll go for 2-1 to the good guys. COYB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

CHD wrote: »
    Abandoned after 57 minutes as it will have put thousands asleep
    As opposed to Chelsea 1-0s who have enlightened us with their football in the past few years :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

This week, there is nothing else that comes close to what awaits Anfield on Saturday afternoon.
    What about Chelsea vs Arsenal? :D

In all seriousness though, Liverpool have been good at stepping it up a notch for the big games this season, beating United and Tottenham at home, and Everton away, so I'm predicting a 2-1 win for 'Pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Anyway, I reckon Liverpool will win it 1-0.

very bored with this line you've been taking for quite some time now.

Time to mix it up a little therokerroar or you risk becoming a parody of a cliche.

flahavaj wrote: »

Time to mix it up a little therokerroar or you risk becoming a parody of a cliche.
    He clearly hasn't experienced it in any form. His ideal of a derby is one where the winner just might stay afloat and the loser is consigned to the bottom three. I was at the infamous Clattenburg derby in 2007. I've never experienced anything that has even come close to it.

was wondering where you were fla. Welcome back ;)

He clearly hasn't experienced it in any form. His ideal of a derby is one where the winner just might stay afloat and the loser is consigned to the bottom three. I was at the infamous Clattenburg derby in 2007. I've never experienced anything that has even come close to it.

Merseyside Derby>>>>>>>>>>>>Biennial Tyne/Weir relegation six-point dogfight any day of the week.:pac:

• Advertisement

was wondering where you were fla. Welcome back ;)

Been on me hols Bayview bai, cheers.:pac:

I'm preparing for the inevitable Kopite luck of the gods though. This match has caused me so much pain over the years. THAT McAllister free kick, THAT goal disallowed by Graham Poll in the last few seconds in 2000, THOSE many decisions that went against us in the Clattenburg derby etc etc

As opposed to Chelsea 1-0s who have enlightened us with their football in the past few years :rolleyes:
    I want those days back, they win titles. At least Chelsea could pull them off.

SlickRic wrote: »
    the atmosphere is still excellent, it's just we can live with each other.

The atmosphere is certainly not 'excellent'. It's the equivalent of a day out in the park to be honest. And yes, I have been to three Merseyside 'Derbies' so don't make presumptions.

Aye, let's all not have an opinion, or at least agree with yours :rolleyes:

The Wear-Tyne Derby is far superior to the Merseyside family day out. The difference is that of day and night.

I want those days back, they win titles. At least Chelsea could pull them off.
    At least your Captain can still pull them off :pac:

One of my favourite derby moments. Ince had a reputation for being a bit of a bully, Gavin McCann had made his full debut in this game and Incey was giving him a bit of a rough time. Big Dunc steps up to the plate :)

The atmosphere is certainly not 'excellent'. It's the equivalent of a day out in the park to be honest. And yes, I have been to three Merseyside 'Derbies' so don't make presumptions.

i didn't make presumptions thanks.

the atmosphere is excellent, what are you talking about?

just because fans don't spew vitriol from the stands in their thousands doesn't make the atmosphere sh*t.

i enjoy the atmosphere of a healthy rivalry a lot more than fearing for my life.

maybe that's just me though.

The atmosphere is certainly not 'excellent'. It's the equivalent of a day out in the park to be honest. And yes, I have been to three Merseyside 'Derbies'

You don't rate the merseyside derby? Big deal tbh. I don't rate the tyne/wear relegation/championship derbies at all.

You were slagging it off the other day too so you are repeating yourself.

You've been to 3 have you? I believe you ;)

I for one am looking forward to this. Everton are in great form and almost at full strength.

I'm tipping us to win 2-1 in a very tight match.

Hate these early kick offs btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Note to therokerroar, none of us actually gives a damn really.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Note to therokerroar, none of us actually gives a damn really.

Clearly you do, judging by the amount of response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Wear-Tyne Derby is far superior to the Merseyside family day out. The difference is that of day and night.
    The difference in the class of the sides is huge too.

Liverpool and Everton have a nice handful of trophies between them over the last thirty years, and have been at the top end of the table for a couple of years now.

Probably the reason that derby means so much to you is it only happens every other year, as invariably one or other of the sides has been relegated.

Best be taking those Black-Cat tinted glasses of yours off ;)

The Merseyside Derby has been played over 200 times and is near, if not unequalled in English footballing rivalries. Families contain both Red and Blue fans, it's not split by religion or location. As with all football derbies they are typically fantastic to watch and experience...if you're a neutral fan. If you happen to be an invested fan of one of the competing clubs then the Merseyside derby can easily desolve in to a shockingly mind numbing experience.

I should know, the Merseyside has left me drunk and crying at 8:30am before and it's also caused me to utter some truly awful things at my poor, defenseless television (and my best friends television as well). I love watching other derbies as well but the tyne-wear 'derby' gets a big giant 'who cares' from me.

No, no lad I've no problem with your opinion per se.

Just the whole little gimmick you've adopted on here has gotten very tedious. You need to mix it up a little, once you read one of your posts at the moment you've read them all.

You were once mildly entertaining and somewhat relevant but you've deteriorated badly recently. Bit like Sunderland's season actually when you think about it.:pac:

No, no lad I've no problem with your opinion per se.

Just the whole little gimmick you've adopted on here has gotten very tedious. You need to mix it up a little, once you read one of your posts at the moment you've read them all.

You were once mildly entertaining and somewhat relevant but you've deteriorated badly recently. Bit like Sunderland's season actually when you think about it.:pac:

Cheers for the reply - Again!

I've gotten so 'tedious' that you still feel the need to acknowledge my posts eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In all fairness the atmosphere at most English derbies are shíte compared to South American or Eastern Europeans ones. The only one which has gained a bit of 'derbyness' in recent times is United c City, no I'm not just saying it because I'm a United fan.

Back on topic, I just can't see Liverpool losing this unfortunately. Which is why I'm going to put them in my Saturday accumulator.:cool:

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply - Again!

I've gotten so 'tedious' that you still feel the need to acknowledge my posts eh? :rolleyes:

You're obsession with getting replies to your posts clearly exposes you as what I've always suspected of you.:(

All I ask is a little flair and imagination, but you show none. I'm deeply disappointed in you i really am, you had potential at one stage.:pac:

Indeed its not your posts that I'm acknowledging you notice, but rather their inherent tediousness.;)

Can see home advantage nicking this for Liverpool in a game played out in a molten atmosphere the likes of which the minnows of the Northeast can only dream of generating the odd year they're both in the same division.

Indeed its not your posts that I'm acknowledging you notice, but rather their inherent tediousness.

deep-drop-fishing-2lg.jpg

deep-drop-fishing-2lg.jpg

Thats more like it. Mix it up a bit, son. Glad the Fla could help.:D

So, this weekend. I predict 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

tyne wear derby, lolz

what are you doing even posting on this topic....

sunderland and erm, Newcastle or is it middlesborough, clubs steeped in ....tradition and success..?!

anyways.. wonder how the sides will be lined out, will moyes be brave enough to put out an attacking side....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

eagle eye wrote: »
    The difference in the class of the sides is huge too.

Liverpool and Everton have a nice handful of trophies between them over the last thirty years, and have been at the top end of the table for a couple of years now.

Probably the reason that derby means so much to you is it only happens every other year, as invariably one or other of the sides has been relegated.

sounds about right there lad.

anyone comparing the tyne bear, sorry wear derby to the mersey derby is clearly not sane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Come on Pool kick huge lumps out of them! Hoping for a grueling game to make our trip to Goodison on Wednesday a little easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You are extremely prejudiced towards anything Liverpool related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Thats more like it. Mix it up a bit, son. Glad the Fla could help.:D
    Being schooled by the master right here. The only throll I actually enjoy on boards ;)

Being schooled by the master right here. The only throll I actually enjoy on boards ;)
    :(

:pac:

Is the Torres lad injured?

looks as if you found a loophole my friend ;)

Is the Torres lad injured?

for another week or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Think Everton might nick this if the Pool perform anything like they have done this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Saha to score the winner in celebration of his contract extension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon this game will be settled by a peno

1-0 Gerrard

• Advertisement
Advertisement