Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Merseyside Derby - SS1 06/02 @12.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't feed 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Just to clarify, did Soto get a straight red or a second yellow?

straight red...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Not take the joke at the Everton fans who say they would have won the European Cup in 86 if it had not been for Liverpool
    From nsno.co.uk

Sections of the Everton fanbase are often, quite rightly, criticised for the chants of "Murderers" that can often be heard around the Merseyside derby, just as Liverpool fans are chastised for their chants about Munich, and Man Utd fans for their chants about Hillsbrough. Nobody should be taking pride in footballing disasters.

Today, however, a real lack of class, and probably understanding, shone through bright and clear on the Kop.

A banner was held aloft with a picture of the European Cup, and next to it, "Steaus Bucharest 1986" a clear taunt to Evertonians that the ban from Europe meant Everton were denied their place in the 1986 European Cup, which was won by the Romanian champions.

The reason Everton were denied that chance? The events at Heysel a year earlier in which 39 innocent Italian supporters lost their lives. A tragedy that should never have happened, and one which every supporter and their families dreads. Nobody should die attending a football match.

The tragedies listed above, along with the Bradford fire in 1985, and countless others in living memory, should be remembered with dignity and class, and should never be used against other sets of fans, whether it's chanting "Murderers" or taking marker pens to Old Trafford for an FA Cup semi final and writing the numbers 5 and 8 on the seats.

However, when your own club has been caught up in such tragedy, you would expect your fans to know better than to use it as a stick to beat the opposition with, especially with such a vast experience of being involved in football related tragedies.

Because we didn't participate in Europe the following season we lost so many key players. Lineker, Stevens etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh christ, they'll find anything to give out about. Expect a huge write up in "The Scúm" on Monday about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Voltwad wrote: »
    From nsno.co.uk

Sections of the Everton fanbase are often, quite rightly, criticised for the chants of "Murderers" that can often be heard around the Merseyside derby, just as Liverpool fans are chastised for their chants about Munich, and Man Utd fans for their chants about Hillsbrough. Nobody should be taking pride in footballing disasters.

Today, however, a real lack of class, and probably understanding, shone through bright and clear on the Kop.

A banner was held aloft with a picture of the European Cup, and next to it, "Steaus Bucharest 1986" a clear taunt to Evertonians that the ban from Europe meant Everton were denied their place in the 1986 European Cup, which was won by the Romanian champions.

The reason Everton were denied that chance? The events at Heysel a year earlier in which 39 innocent Italian supporters lost their lives. A tragedy that should never have happened, and one which every supporter and their families dreads. Nobody should die attending a football match.

The tragedies listed above, along with the Bradford fire in 1985, and countless others in living memory, should be remembered with dignity and class, and should never be used against other sets of fans, whether it's chanting "Murderers" or taking marker pens to Old Trafford for an FA Cup semi final and writing the numbers 5 and 8 on the seats.

However, when your own club has been caught up in such tragedy, you would expect your fans to know better than to use it as a stick to beat the opposition with, especially with such a vast experience of being involved in football related tragedies.

Because we didn't participate in Europe the following season we lost so many key players. Lineker, Stevens etc.

What do you want us to say.. sorry? You lost today get over it.

What do you want us to say.. sorry? You lost today get over it.
    I noticed that at half time and merely commented on it. I do realise that this was only a small portion of the fanbase. That banner should have been taken down immediatley though. It's an insult to the deceased Liverpudlians more than it is Evertonians.

From nsno.co.uk

That post smells of sour grapes tbh.

That banner is hardly hardcore abusive.

Fantastic result on the pitch today for the reds. Liverpool so up for it deserving winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh and by the way i am not justifying the banner i just think its funny Everton fans are getting on there high horse about it after there chants of Murderers and other vile things about players wives

If it adn't been fer dem!!!!! Yawn.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That post smells of sour grapes tbh.

That banner is hardly hardcore abusive.

Fantastic result on the pitch today for the reds. Liverpool so up for it deserving winners.
    That post was a response to someone who commented on on one of my posts I made at half time? If you look a little further back I've already stated that we didn't deserve to win etc, it wasn't just a sly dig or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That post was a response to someone who commented on on one of my posts I made at half time? If you look a little further back I've already stated that we didn't deserve to win etc, it wasn't just a sly dig or whatever.

Yeah, that post was so good you posted it twice.

Or was it because nobody bit?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,366 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Watched this and by God it was mince

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, that post was so good you posted it twice.

Or was it because nobody bit?
    Yep the latter. I wanted a kopite's opinion on it

Sorry i was watching the game and going through the thread should have read on before i bit but ahh well from today

Celebration_by_HelterSkelter33.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sorry i was watching the game and going through the thread should have read on before i bit but ahh well from today

Celebration_by_HelterSkelter33.jpg

what a ****ing brilliant picture.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    what a ****ing brilliant picture.

got it from here

http://helterskelter33.deviantart.com/

Some nice stuff on there

You could frame that it looks so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

noodler wrote: »
    Babel was so disappointing for me. He came on fresh and did practically no closing down, he is not going to get many more chances if he carries on in the same vein for me.

taken from the lucas thread

I thought babel did a good job when he came one
    closed down defenders and actually went into the hard tackles, he wasnt going to get much of the ball but he put in a good job I felt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Babel was one stupid linesman from scoring or at least getting a shot at goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree with Noodler on Babel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Yep the latter. I wanted a kopite's opinion on it

and as i will now say twice, isnt the point you are making about class?

rolleyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Have to say the most shocking thing today wasn't the tackles but Gerrard getting an assist from a corner.Great cross tbh. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

d22ontour wrote: »
    Have to say the most shocking thing today wasn't the tackles but Gerrard getting an assist from a corner.Great cross tbh. :p

Great strength from Kuyt too to hold off Nev and Howard to finish. Just love that mans pure grit and desire. The mentality of the man is amazing. He was always known in Holland for scoring in the big games and derbies. Carried that character straight through to Liverpool. Just seems to be sheer force of will that in some games when we need it he simply Will score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

very proud of the boys. Great technique by Kuyt to get header in. Roll on Wednesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Fair play to Liverpool today, they put in the performance I had been expecting from Everton. They bossed the game physically and easily deserved their win.

Disappointed in the blues, every time we look like we're going forward we throw in a performance like that. Gutless, to be honest. Bottled it, just like the cup final. Johnny Heitinga can hold his head high, the rest of them should give their wages to Haiti, so it can go to people who deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Steven Pienaar.

you played sh*t.

and i've just seen a couple of the tackles he made again.

he did well to stay on until the 95th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

SlickRic wrote: »
    Steven Pienaar.

you played sh*t.

and i've just seen a couple of the tackles he made again.

he did well to stay on until the 95th.

In fairness to Moyes he even admitted as much in the post-match interview, saying he should have gone initially.

Didn't say anything about Fellani.

In fairness to Moyes he even admitted as much in the post-match interview, saying he should have gone initially.

Fellani should have too, shocking tackle.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

he did actually, fair dues to him too.
    Everton manager David Moyes:
    "I think there have been lots of derbies very similar; quite feisty and that's why fans like them because they sometimes have a little bit extra in them.

"The first sending-off (Kyrgiakos) was a two-footed tackle, both feet off the ground. I guess Fellaini could have gone too. I've no complaints about Steven's sending-off as there was a tackle earlier in the game where he might have been fortunate to stay on.

"I thought we certainly didn't deserve to lose the game today. We might not have deserved to win it, we didn't do enough, but we shouldn't have lost it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

copacetic wrote: »
    he did actually, fair dues to him too.

Didn't say that in the post-match interview I saw, so missed it.

Saw a stat that Moyes record against top four teams is something like 6 wins in 60 games. I thought it would be better than that.

• Advertisement

It's not easy to consistently gain points against the top four though imo.Kudos for Moyes being honest in his interview too.

David Moyes is a class act.

David Moyes is a class act.

Yeah top manager alright.

No disrespect to Everton but I'd say he is in line for a top job in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Didn't see the match but was Gerrard involved in one of the Pienaar yellow cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Didn't see the match but was Gerrard involved in one of the Pienaar yellow cards?
    The second one, the softest one. Pienaar lunged in on Gerrard and clashed with Gerrard's head, didn't look too malicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

OPENROAD wrote: »

The second one. Went to ground clutching his head when the replays show that there was absolutely no contact with it.

Hehe 2 quality conflicting posts above regarding the 2nd yellow, 2nd reply was right but still doesn't justify him being on after his horror tackle.

rarnes1 wrote: »

No disrespect to Everton but I'd say he is in line for a top job in the next few years.

My choice for United tbh. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The second one. Went to ground clutching his head when the replays show that there was absolutely no contact with it.

Just saw it can't see any contact

• Advertisement

ha.

rafa never comments about the referee, or any decisions, ever.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Minstrel27 wrote: »

the replays clearly show pienaars shoulder hitting him right in the face:confused:

Fellaini is a nasty piece of work by the way.

quality player, mind you.

Was my mom until he got injured/not sent off tbh.He is indeed a quality player who gets stuck in.I wonder if ssn will show repeated replays of the greeks red card which will lead to the FA asking for videos to be sent in ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fellaini is a nasty piece of work by the way.

quality player, mind you.
    He really is, it's as clear as day that he stamped on the Greek intentionally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Melion wrote: »
    Oh christ, they'll find anything to give out about. Expect a huge write up in "The Scúm" on Monday about it

if it had been directed at liverpool we'd never hear the end of it

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    He really is, it's as clear as day that he stamped on the Greek intentionally

yeah, i didn't enjoy watching it.

he looked, and i swear, i saw him lick his lips, then jump in on him.

i'll let him have the benefit of the doubt with the kick in dirk's face though.

Man i laughed my fookin ass off at that, you should be glad cos it kinda woke durt up . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yeah, i didn't enjoy watching it.

he looked, and i swear, i saw him lick his lips, then jump in on him.

That was nasty too, and then to compound it as he was walking backwards he stepped all over Diggler's legs :p Poor bugger

Dunno how Everton managed to concede the goal btw. I know Howard and Neville were concentrating on Kuyt a bit much, but like the ball was right in front of Howard, how Kuyt managed to get it in I dunno

Think Tim Howard must be the Premiership player bein investigated for betting, against Everton

d22ontour wrote: »
    Man i laughed my fookin ass off at that

really?

at a kick in the face?

Dave! wrote: »
    Dunno how Everton managed to concede the goal btw. I know Howard and Neville were concentrating on Kuyt a bit much, but like the ball was right in front of Howard, how Kuyt managed to get it in I dunno

now that did make me laugh.

everton only had themselves to blame on that one, and you can see by Cahill's reaction how annoyed he was by the defending.

dirk stood there, he barely moved. neville did f*ck all and howard i think tried to run into the back of kuyt to kind of make a point.

fine by me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement