Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Merseyside Derby - SS1 06/02 @12.45

167891012»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Everton are always de one to cross de line in these derbys,liverpool get stuck in, in right way and play fair, atleast until they are provoked ,then they fight fire with fire,
    glad gerrard not sent off, need him!Lucas unsung hero,great defending in second half,i use to knock him so much, but he is a asset not a liability anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

SlickRic wrote: »
    yeah, i didn't enjoy watching it.

he looked, and i swear, i saw him lick his lips, then jump in on him.

i'll let him have the benefit of the doubt with the kick in dirk's face though.

In my opinion both players should have been sent off. Both tackles were dangerous. Pienaar should have gone in the first half but should not have got his second yellow for the challenge on Gerrard. And speaking of Gerrard am I the only one who thinks that Gerrard dived for the free kick he smashed off the crossbar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

killwill wrote: »
    And speaking of Gerrard am I the only one who thinks that Gerrard dived for the free kick he smashed off the crossbar?

no, he did.

but it is the same kind of dive he, and most Premier League footballers are guilty of on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

no, he did.

but it is the same kind of dive he, and most Premier League footballers are guilty of on a weekly basis.

Yeah it probably stood out so much with all the hard tackles going around today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

really?

at a kick in the face?

Well yeah cos it kinda looked like he just kicked the ball at him, as i laughed at that then i seen the replays.I couldn't rewind time to undo the laughs. :rolleyes:

no, he did.

Please that's quite pathetic and doesn't justify anything.

He dived not once but twice in the game.What has any other game/player got to do with him cheating ? Does it make it right or less cringe worthy ?
    Also saying every other player in the league are potential serial divers is a joke too. :rolleyes:

i saw no dives, contact was made,, its up to gerrard to accept the free kick that he knows he will get if he goes down, free kick which is due,,,, or play on to his advantage,,, its a choice! he choose to go down to take free kick,, BUT NOT DIVE, where there was no foul involved,,
    there was a foul,, no matter how small de contact, he shift ball to his left to get into space, and was blocked off on purpose, thats a foul, doesnt need to be a kick to then knee to be a foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

argosy2006 wrote: »
    i saw no dives, contact was made,, its up to gerrard to accept the free kick that he knows he will get if he goes down, free kick which is due,,,, or play on to his advantage,,, its a choice! he choose to go down to take free kick,, BUT NOT DIVE, where there was no foul involved,,
    there was a foul,, no matter how small de contact, he shift ball to his left to get into space, and was blocked off on purpose, thats a foul, doesnt need to be a kick to then knee to be a foul
    He "bought" the free-kick, not exactly a dive. He measured his run and counted on Cahill touching him, who obliged and Gerrard went over getting a free-kick.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    He "bought" the free-kick, not exactly a dive. He measured his run and counted on Cahill touching him, who obliged and Gerrard went over getting a free-kick.

yea thats not a dive, call it what you will, no one asked cahill to make contact, could have let him go on and smash it in top corner ,,, naa i think ball was gone from gerrard,, so lucky that cahill did give the foul away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

d22ontour wrote: »
    Please that's quite pathetic and doesn't justify anything.

He dived not once but twice in the game.What has any other game/player got to do with him cheating ? Does it make it right or less cringe worthy ?
    Also saying every other player in the league are potential serial divers is a joke too. :rolleyes:

good f*cking grief.

as others have said he 'bought' it. it was the kind of dive so many players do. i'm not justifying it. i'm not saying i like it. but it's the reality. and people shouldn't get on their soapboxes because every club in the league has players who do the exact same thing.

Rooney had one today for f*ck sake where he looked for a penalty but didn't get it.

i dare you to find a game where that type of 'dive' does not happen a few times.

you won't find one.

so there's no point bitching about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Gerrard (and all the top players) are very clever at winning free kicks. It's not cheating and it's certainly not diving.

If an opposition player is going to offer to take you down, why not go down from the contact and get the free kick? The rules are very simple and there's nothing stopping other players from doing it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Stephen Gerrard is also the leading cause of child deformity in Britain

Gerrard (and all the top players) are very clever at winning free kicks. It's not cheating and it's certainly not diving.

If an opposition player is going to offer to take you down, why not go down from the contact and get the free kick? The rules are very simple and there's nothing stopping other players from doing it either.

Players basically go down with the most minimal of contact or sometimes as we've seen with none at all.

It's part of the game these days, a part I don't like at all.

Am all for passion in a derby but that ref was atrocious with tackles what Gerrard himself has seen red for in Mersey derbies.How he can say he was a good ref is baffling.Some x rated tackles went unpunished and could have hurt players. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrard is playing a long game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

are people saying Gerrard made those comments after game for a self serving purpose. Redknapp said the same thing in his comments so dont think Stevie G was alone in his sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I see the bitters are living up to their nickname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Babel was one stupid linesman from scoring or at least getting a shot at goal.

Lets not lose the run of ourslves Mike. Shot maybe but scoring ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The second one. Went to ground clutching his head when the replays show that there was absolutely no contact with it.

Did they really? Where did Goals on Sunday get theres showing definate contact with Pienaars shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did they really? Where did Goals on Sunday get theres showing definate contact with Pienaars shoulder?

Some people want to believe so bad, their eyes deceive them!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

GET IN!

Once the fight's been taken out of Everton and they have to play football to break a team down, they're in trouble. Moyes couldn't send them out in the second half with the same "steam into everything" attitude they had in the first otherwise there would have been a couple of red cards for them. So once they have to break down the 10 men, they have no ideas or creativity.

And you have come to this conclusion from watching every Everton game since Moyes took over? or basing on this on your opinion of one game?

Everton are very capable of playing football to break teams down. And how exactly was the fight taken out of them? When fellaini was injured by the greek? Everton are not a one man team, but I would hazard a guess that it would have been a different result if he had've been able to come back on... For one, he would have been the man marking Dirk for the corner. Up to the point of his injury, fellaini was playing very well and bossing that part of the pitch...
    Jazzy wrote: »
    i thought it was really exciting? isnt that what everyone was saying?

everton were shown up today. couldnt break down a 10 man liverpool and a lack of concentration and coordination cost them a goal.
    deserved victory for the reds, the better team on the day for 90 minutes

I think you'll find that when a team is reduced to 10 men, the siege mentality kicks in and they are very hard to break down. It is not only Everton who have been in a situation where it has proved difficult to score against 10 men... and in any case, i know its a cliché, but in these derby games, form does very much go out the window and the games are more often than not settled on one mistake or chance with little difference between the teams.
    Everton are always de one to cross de line in these derbys,liverpool get stuck in, in right way and play fair, atleast until they are provoked ,then they fight fire with fire,
    glad gerrard not sent off, need him!Lucas unsung hero,great defending in second half,i use to knock him so much, but he is a asset not a liability anymore

Everton are always the one to cross the line? Really? Time to take off those red-tinted glasses... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Benitez called Lescott a diver after this.

Gerrard gets a fellow professional sent off (Worse that Clattenberg changed his mind having listened to him)

Not to mention the Kuyt Boeing 747 challenge he didn't even see a card for in that match.

There was the Gerrard stamp on Gary Naysmith at Anfield a few years before hand too.

It's a derby match, passions flare, to argue that one side is at fault for all the foul play is the single most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Rose tinted glasses are an understatement. More like blinded by pure bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

so bitter. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

podge018 wrote: »
    so bitter. :D
    What words would you use to describe the post I responded to? Salt in the wounds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Liverpool when reduced to 10 men were probably more hard to play against, as sometimes happens in games.

just because its like, wow 10 men, Everton will run riot...lolz, football doesnt go like that and certainly not in derby games.

The ref was not good and the Liveprool players as usual were ushering him into making bookings for Everton players at every given opportunity.

Having said that Everton didnt deserve to get much from the game, a draw would have been a fair result I would say, both siade just had a few clear cut chances. the free kicks, cahills header, yaks shot and the goal.

Fellaini as pointed out would most likely has dealt with the corner and also it was school boy stuff not to have anyone cover the far post, I would have lambasted them for that If I was boss.

How Cahill missed an open goal beggers belief, think it took him by surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And you have come to this conclusion from watching every Everton game since Moyes took over? or basing on this on your opinion of one game?

Everton are very capable of playing football to break teams down. And how exactly was the fight taken out of them? When fellaini was injured by the greek? Everton are not a one man team, but I would hazard a guess that it would have been a different result if he had've been able to come back on... For one, he would have been the man marking Dirk for the corner. Up to the point of his injury, fellaini was playing very well and bossing that part of the pitch...

I think you'll find that when a team is reduced to 10 men, the siege mentality kicks in and they are very hard to break down. It is not only Everton who have been in a situation where it has proved difficult to score against 10 men... and in any case, i know its a cliché, but in these derby games, form does very much go out the window and the games are more often than not settled on one mistake or chance with little difference between the teams.

Everton are always the one to cross the line? Really? Time to take off those red-tinted glasses... :rolleyes:

The greek made contact with Fellaini LEFT foot, Fellaini injured his RIGHT ankle when he stamped on the greek

watch again around 45 second mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Every time I look at that Fellani incident I get more and more annoyed.
    I'd never wish injury on a player, but if he misses a few games with a sprained ankle from turning over on it while forcibly and deliberately stamping on The Greeks shin, then I won't loose any sleep over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

not for me, i hope felaini misses 1 or 2 games because of this and at the time, i hoped he was injured. if there is one thing i hate seeing on the pitch its stamping. dumb ass footballers dont know their own strength, especially with their legs and the weight they can get behind it so if fellani is injured - good. maybe he'll think twice before being a vicious melon head again. same goes for all footballers that stamp like that, shows just how stupid some of them really are having lived in that bubble for so long

Advertisement